Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Speeding Tickect In CA..advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeding Tickect In CA..advice!!!

Ok guys,
Me and my friend both got stopped on the way to Laughlin, NV about a month ago. I was in my Evo and he was in his GTO. We both got pulled over and were clocked at 115mph in a 70mph. In my defence it was on like a 10 mile stretch on the 40 at like 4PM on a Friday, there was nobody on the road. Now we both have a court date in June. My questions are:

Has anyone else gotten a ticket for over 100 in CA?
IF so, what can I expect?
CA DMV website says max for first offence is $500 fine, possible 30 day licenses suspension, and of course points. Any body been through this already?
And lastly, would you try to get a lawyer to try to talk to ticket down to just a big fine and traffic school? Im really trying to avoid the points so my insurance doesn't go through the roof!

On the other hand..it was a huge wake up call and now I only do my speeding on the track! So lesson learned I guess.
Thanks guys.....

-CI
Old May 27, 2005, 12:43 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. My girl friend got clock over 100 on highway 5 to L.A. I think it depends on the judge when it comes to the fine. Look at your ticket and if it definitely say's 115mph then you might end up with this. First, a nice fine of $300 or more. Second, no traffic school. Last, two points on your record for 2yrs. It sucks a$$ bro, but that's what happend to her. My only suggestion is just admit guilty as charged and ask for leancy from the judge. Good luck.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

yea def get a lawyer. i believe thats a 4 or 5 point ticket ur talking about which sucks. did u get a careless driving or reckless driving ticket along wit that? if not ur pretty lucky.
get a lawyer. most likely, he will or should get the ticket dropped by a point or two but theres no guarantees. the lawyer fee's will range anywhere from $500-$1000... if u dont have the $ right now, postpone ur court date as much as possible.. ur probably gonna have to take a driving class or community service... but it depends where u live n stuff too. Ur probably gonna walk out with 1-3 points and fees up the a$$... it sucks but this is what happens when u speed over 100mph... they slap u with as many fines as possible. just get a lawyer... good luck

oh yea.. my girl was caught doing 120 in a 65mph, & got a careless driving ticket. her lawyer dropped that, and knocked off 2 points.. she had to do 20 hrs of community service as well. thats where i got my info

Last edited by diameters; May 27, 2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

The cop didn't give us reckless driving or excess or anything. Just a ticket for speeding, and he hand wrote in 115mph. I don't mind the fines...I just wanna do anything I can to keep my driving record from getting slammed. I have a clean record.....and my insurance for my evo and my SUV both with full coverage for me and my wife is like $900 a year. I don't want that to turn into $3,000 a year! I called one lawyer and he bragged that he has a 97% success rate for getting people off tickets in CA. But he wants $4,000 to do it. That's alot of money. Plus he was really trying hard with the scare tactics. Thanks for your help guys.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

And just outa curiosity, how could he hit both of our cars with radar at the same time while he was pulling out from his hiding hole under a bridge and then pull us both over? Does that sound fishy to anyone?
Old May 27, 2005, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

whoa thats a lot of money! but ur gonna be hit with insurance surcharges no matter what... damn $900 a year! right now im paying $3600 a year.

i know for a fact in most DUI cases, insurances increase ur rates by atleast an extra $1000 a year for 3 yrs... with speeding tickets, they increase it according to the points u rack up.. Im not exactly positive about this but im pretty sure. depending on ur insurance comp., u might have an extra $300-$500 to pay a year for 3 years... thats just a guess . that will probably amount to the lawyer fee's... its up to you which way you wanna go.. just talk to a lawyer to find out all the info.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:53 PM
GP

That sucks bro, Hopefully yours doesn't turn out like this one?

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewt...er=asc&start=0
Old May 27, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CICreations
And just outa curiosity, how could he hit both of our cars with radar at the same time while he was pulling out from his hiding hole under a bridge and then pull us both over? Does that sound fishy to anyone?

he probably thought/saw you guys racing and figured you both were going the same speed... with the radar guns, i think their only allowed to clock one... he mustve did that, then figured u were going the same speed as ur friend, so gave u a ticket for the same thing.... thats probably what happened.
Old May 27, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CICreations
Its possible he didnt. He might not admit to it, but its possible he saw both of you wre bearing down at about the same speed and gave you both a ticket for whatever the radar said. Maybe not entirely fair, but I dont think its gonna matter if he clocked you at 115 and you were actually going 110 or 120 or something. The point of the matter is that you were well into triple digits and got caught, flat out. Good luck with the court date.
Old May 27, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

er... i got pulled over today.. luckily my incredible good looks got me out of the fact that i didnt have my insurance or liscencse with me.. or that my liscense is from one state and my car is registered in another. she kept pointing out my exhaust, and i didnt want to push my luck so i just agreed that it was slightly loud (definately under 92d) it was for a 70 in a 55..eventhough i was getting passed my a old grandma. I just put on taller tires so the car seems to be wanting to cruise a little faster then before. Anyone know what this ticket will cost me?
Old May 27, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

so, best case sanerio...couple hundred in fines, 2 points, and insurance only goes up a couple hundred a month.

worst case sanerio.....around $2,000 in fines, 4 points, and insurance goes up alot! lol...This doesn't look good
Old May 27, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

It wont be that bad.. i had a 93 in a 65 in virginia.. I hate virginia with a passion. The state is worthless. anything over 80 is a felony.. 15 over is a felony! They get you rigth as you leave north carolina which is 70 all the way so you need to make an adjustment to your speed. The ticket cost me over 1100 in that state.
Old May 27, 2005, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

holy shiznit bdking!

I live at virginia i had no idea of the 15 over felony law!

godamn... i learned a lot from this thread...

speeding = bad
Old May 27, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

its not that its 15 over.. but its anything over 80. so in this instance.. 15 over is a felony. That is insane! give me a break seriously.. im a two time felon in virginia lol They are all about nailing people passing through.
Old May 27, 2005, 05:34 PM

CICreations,

Check out traffic attorney referrals and other info at http://www.motorists.org/index.html
Good luck.