Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car isnt running right...

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2005, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car isnt running right...

Ok im not quite sure whats the problem but i believe it has something to do with the o2 sensor. I modified the exhaust with a cat back titanium exhaust, a boost contoller and a bov. When i star to step on the gas it stutters kinda like it goes and then gets stuck and then goes and then gets stuck.. its weird.. like its a bogging feeling.. any ideas of what it could be?
Old May 27, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your BoV venting to atmosphere?
Old May 27, 2005, 09:23 PM

umm im not quite sure but i know thats set up correctly... there is only one way it can go i believe
Old May 27, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Your stock blow off valve has 3 places that air comes out....2 big holes and a little hole. One of the big holes goes into your air intake, the other hole connects to your intercooler pipe right before the throttle body. This set up is a recirculating diverter valve.

Venting to atmosphere there is no tube connecting the blow off valve and the intercooler pipe, it blows the pressure into the air....this setup is a problem on almost all evo's because the MAF expects that air and the computer gives fuel for that air....

which way is yours set up?
Old May 27, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

does your greddy installed look like this?
the pic is upside down
Old May 27, 2005, 09:30 PM

well i have a greddy BOV types s.. im not quite sure which way it is .. i think it just recirculates... but i dont think thats the problem.. there is a chech engine light on right now.. any sign of what it could be?
Old May 27, 2005, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

check engine light probably has somethign to do with your exhaust.. running catless? You're right in that the BOV is a straight foreward installation.. check the MAF sensor?

not sure but also check that the bov is not venting when you rev it.. try to set it at somewhere above 5psi at least! when you rev.

hope it helps.
Old May 27, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

maybe try this = https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=114931
Old May 27, 2005, 09:42 PM

i dont have the evo right this second cause its in the shop getting the back bumper fixed.. but i will look at the BOV to see if its correctly installed. I believe it is cause it was perfessionally done.. I shouldnt be venting sounds like a normal greddy BOV.. i believe its either the sensor in the exhaust, or the MAF sensor.. ill have to check it out.. any other possiblities??
Old May 27, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

or just get rid of your electronic boost controller and a get a hallman mbc
Old May 27, 2005, 09:47 PM

no that boost controller is very good.. boosts 22 pounds.. and i got 260 hp to the floor im quite happy with that.. just sucks that its doing that crappy bogging thing i cant accelrate fast at all with that thing happening..
Old May 27, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboXtreme
no that boost controller is very good.. boosts 22 pounds.. and i got 260 hp to the floor im quite happy with that.. just sucks that its doing that crappy bogging thing i cant accelrate fast at all with that thing happening..
Just make sure you aren't running 22psi daily on pump gas. That isn't a good idea.

As for the issues, it's hard to diagnose since you got 3 mods put on at once. If there was only 1 variable, it would be much easier, but that's ok, I think you can figure it out with a little help if we can ask the right questions. The BOV is the obvious choice, since it it is often a source of trouble when people first get it installed. You sound pretty certain that the BOV is installed correctly, plus it was done professionally, so it's probably ok. Just make sure to check it agains the above pic when you get the car back.

As for the exhaust, did you do this yourself, or was everything installed for you? I just did my cat-back this week, and although I didn't have any trouble removing and re-installing the O2 sensor, I can see how it would be possible to mess it up and cause bad O2 readings. If the O2 is damage, then all sorts of things could go wrong like the timing being pulled whenever you try to boost. If you didn't do the exhaust yourself, then this would be tricky to troubleshoot. You can't just look under the car and see if it's damaged. The only thing you could see for sure is if the o2 cable is damaged, but that's not likely. One thing you need to do right away is read the CEL code to see what it says. You can do this for free at autozone/advanced auto, or if you have a logger.

You say the EBC holds boost steady at 22psi, so I assume this was on the car before the recent exhaust/BOV install since you know it holds boost, but you can't boost hardly at all now. Therefore, I don't guess this has anything to do with the EBC.
Old May 28, 2005, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Instead of us playing the guessing game trying to find out what's wrong with your car, goto any automotive store (autozone, pep boys, etc.) and have them pull your CEL code for free. Then come back and post what the code(s) were. It'd also be helpful to post when your CEL came on.
Old May 28, 2005, 03:37 AM

What's your mileage? Sound like your spark plugs need changing.
Old May 28, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

You catback shouldn't trigger any studdering, unless you blocked the piping somehow.

Double check the BOV and make sure the inlet valve (from IC) and outlet valve (to intake) aren't reversed.

If both items are installed correctly, then re-confirm the vacuum line routing of the EBC. There's a diagram under the hood.

If you car isn't running right, please don't push the car up to 22psi. Even with head studs you may be running the risk of blowing something.