Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

South Florida News Paper! Evo makes the cover!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as long as there is a shortage of "good" cops, this will never go away. i will say that cops are attempting to entrap people by street racing. this is why i don' mess with older domestics. racing was big in the 60's muscle car days & the gov't changed the emission laws to get rid of it. the only way it would work again is if they banned all cars that ran on gasoline. even still that would be temporary cuz then people would figure out how to make electric & hybrid cars fast. heck there is an electric powered dragster here in AZ that runs 11.24's & IT'S REAL QUIET!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 29, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like the reporter who wrote this article went and rented The Fast and Furious and wrote an article about it. The civic SVT was my favorite though. Racing crap cars on the street I just don't get it Civics, Rangers whats the point? All this type of crap does is make people look down more on our cars and our insurance go up. I mean don't get me wrong sometimes you gotta hand someone there *** when they want to mess with you but I never go and look for people to race on the road.
Old May 29, 2005, 07:59 AM

Street racing is a ton of fun. But not worth the headache when you get caught, or worse yet, get in an accident. It's all fun until somebody gets hurt. Nowadays, my brothers and I vent our spleen and stretch our car's muscles on the 1/4 track.

** off topic ** anybody know if a cop can give you a ticket for going 0 to 40 mph in a few seconds?
Old May 29, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I read that this am... Not very good press for the Evo and will make it harder on those using them as daily drivers down here
Old May 29, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Lancerlot... Yes, you probably could.. It could be deemed careless driving or improper start... The ofc would just have to explain in court if you tried to fight it, that's all..

But as a person on both sides of the fence.. There ARE times and places to do these things.. Some people I run into, get burned, some get set free... But I have a lot of discretion.. As for the Moroso thing.. I too feel that the track is wwaaaayyy too far to drive to. Just to wait in a mile long line and be there for 4-5hrs just to get 2 runs in... There was a time that a sanctioned track was going to be built in a more local area, but the residents voted it down because of the noise pollution factor. Not to mention that right next to where it would've been built, is the Homestead/Miami Speedway for NASCAR... That sux royally... These news reporters are just gonna write about what they feel the public wants to hear, just to have a good story.. They dont understand the works of the entirely different WORLD of Sport Compact Cars.. Street racing has been around for decades. It has ALWAYS been pursued by law enforcement, and it has never changed.. It never will either...
Old May 29, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancerlot215
Street racing is a ton of fun. But not worth the headache when you get caught, or worse yet, get in an accident. It's all fun until somebody gets hurt. Nowadays, my brothers and I vent our spleen and stretch our car's muscles on the 1/4 track.

** off topic ** anybody know if a cop can give you a ticket for going 0 to 40 mph in a few seconds?
I was wondering that the other day when I did a 0 to 60 run from a light in my girls WRX and looked up to see a cop behind me. I didn't get pulled over (55 zone) but I was nervous for a bit.

Keith

PS: Technically he probably could have found a reason to pull me over if he wanted to hassle me.... there is always something they can pull you over for.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another point to ponder:

In some areas they impound and sell your car for street racing, and it is up to the cops discression weather you were racing or not... If they are going to impound and sell my car any way there is no reason NOT to run from the cops. If I am going to get a ticket I will pull over... if they are in effect going to steal my car they are going to have to chase me down to get it.

I don't street race, but if I did you can bet your A$$ I would run if the popo showed up.

Keith
Old May 29, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you can get a ticket for it...reckless driving...

lot of money to be made if someone makes a track down here in miami...gotta have big bucks to start though...insurance will kill you...around $1,000,000 per year
Old May 29, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice
Old May 29, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this was funny
"Each contest made his heart thump. Racing was better than sex, he says,"
"A 10-second race will get your heart pounding for an hour. ... I've passed up going home with some girls some nights so I could race."

florida is gonna suck if
This year, state legislators have given police a new weapon -- stiffer penalties in Florida's 2-year-old street racing law. If the governor signs the bill into law, convicted racers could face a year in jail and lose their cars.

i would like to see this...
He travels around the country, racing a custom-made Eclipse that runs the quarter mile in a blazing 7.6 seconds.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ev-slo
everyone street races no matter what, you can die on the track too, those cemet dividers dont move to well...i dont say street racing is good but not matter what will happen.
True, but the likely hood of crashing into an inocent car and killing someone goes way down on a track.
Old May 29, 2005, 01:22 PM

anybody know if a cop can give you a ticket for going 0 to 40 mph in a few seconds?
excessive display of acceleration, excessive display of speed, reckless driving, driving to endanger, improper operation of a motor vehicle, participation in a contest of speed (if the cop thinks you were racing the car next to you), reckless/racing
I'm sure there are more but these are the ones i saw when i lived in Washington all based on leaving a stop light too fast.
Old May 29, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

well basically all the race spots were listed, and i believe i knew the owner of that evo. everyone knows where the spots are now. and now everyone is going to have to be careful going there. i myself as someone said before would prefer getting some *** rather then beating the crap out of my 30,000 dollar car. but yea i feel sorry for the stupid bastards who continue to go to these local spots after they were spoken about in the local paper.
Old May 29, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

It is true that people race after comming from being at a track all day. If you have gone to morosso in WPB. Those 2 lane roads get very interesting once all the crazy asses leave to go home. Nothing will stop street racing it has been around for ages and will continue to be around as long as there are fast cars and people to drive them.... I have worked with a few guys that only race in busy traffic because they have slow cars and the winner basically was the crazy ******* that would risk his life to out run the other... I never look for a race but if someone wants to go and i feel it is safe I'll run for a couple gears... If I don't feel that it is safe I just mind my own business.
Old May 29, 2005, 03:04 PM

if that picture was only larger, it would make a nice background picture for my desktop...

Quick Reply: South Florida News Paper! Evo makes the cover!