Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

South Florida News Paper! Evo makes the cover!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, that was a great article. A very sober look at our 'scene' from an outside observer's perspective. This is the image that the media presents to the general public so that they will think of any person with a modified car as some sort of street racing law breaking sociopath or social deviant with a gas tank for a brain and nitrous oxide in his blood. We race at the local track, and getting a time-slip is very cool. I hate the 'stigma' of street racing, but when you are driving along on the highway doing 80 in a 70, and some guy revs hard at you, it's very hard to resist showing that jack-@*** exactly what a 22 psi, 300whp car looks like. I struggle daily to not punch through traffic on the expressway....the freedom that an Evo provides is really exhiliarating! But with great power comes even greater responsibility...we really do drive really super cars.

Last edited by DEV0LUTI0N; May 29, 2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old May 29, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I dont condone street racing, and refrain from doing it myself....occasionnally I wonder if the police have gotten too harsh on some people. Granted, running the 1/4 mile on public roads is just friggin dumb, but if its 2am, no one on the road, and someone decides to get on 2nd gear a bit with another car, personally, i dont see the huge danger that others appear to see. Is it slightly more dangerous than normal driving? Yes, but so is driving with underinflated tires, tailgating, talking on cell phones, driving with an improperly loaded trailer (bunch or student died from this recently in MI going to FSAE comepetition) etc. And I dont see a huge deal being made about that. For example, I can get a $400 dollar fine for chirping my tires, but driving without a seatbelt (way more dangerous IMO) is only $75, if anything. Anyone see a discrepency here?

Again, full out racing is dumb, but i just dont see the huge deal about a quick pull through a low gear in a semi-controlled environment that everyone seems to get so worked up about. Persoanlly, id feel safer driving next to someone thats pulling on their car a bit than some soccer-mom talking on the phone and applying makup while driving or some dude rading a newspaper and driving. My 0.02.

Last edited by Mercenary3; May 29, 2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old May 29, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I couldn't tell if I was reading a news article or a story there. I think articles like these only exacerbate the problem. The only thing I got out of this was the polices inability to stop the problem and a series of locations that I could go to race on the street.
Old May 29, 2005, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
While I dont condone street racing, and refrain from doing it myself....occasionnally I wonder if the police have gotten too harsh on some people. Granted, running the 1/4 mile on public roads is just friggin dumb, but if its 2am, no one on the road, and someone decides to get on 2nd gear a bit with another car, personally, i dont see the huge danger that others appear to see. Is it slightly more dangerous than normal driving? Yes, but so is driving with underinflated tires, tailgating, talking on cell phones, etc. And I dont see a huge deal being made about that. For example, I can get a $400 dollar fine for chirping my tires, but driving without a seatbelt (way more dangerous IMO) is only $75, if anything. Anyone see a discrepency here?

Again, full out racing is dumb, but i just dont see the huge deal about a quick pull through a low gear in a semi-controlled environment that everyone seems to get so worked up about. Persoanlly, id feel safer driving next to someone thats pulling on their car a bit than some soccer-mom talking on the phone and applying makup while driving or some dude rading a newspaper and driving. My 0.02.
Well said. But the world is not a fair place. I think that it is ironic that a person who has meticulously worked to improve the performance of his vehicle over stock is considered a "street racer" whereas some dumb **** in a totally stock ride that decides to "gun it" usually goes un-noticed or gets off with a much lighter fine if caught. I've had so many jack -@asses in SUVs, minivans and beater pos's try to "run me" that it's a shame. I just keep looking straight ahead and try to ignore them. What @ssholes
Old May 29, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

well now florida's laws are somewhat getting to the level of california. if it gets to that point there will be no more street racing. i for one am not a big street racer but i occasionally like to go out and watch whatz going on. but then there are always those few morons that start driving crazy when we get one FHP slowly coming to tell everyone to leave. racing is always going to be a part of the south florida culture. from riced out dodge neons, focus, civics to the real tuners putting out 300 hp or more.
Old May 29, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

These reporters love writing about street racing. Its dangerous, its underground, it rebellion....everything hollywood loves to glorify. Its what people would rather read about then the same old boring political rant and the endless crime beats.

They are in the business of selling papers, and they have more room to generalize these stories without the threat of libel than they do about alot of their other stories directed at a single person or incident.

Jesse
Old May 29, 2005, 06:24 PM

turbocharged muscle cars?? aren't most of them supercharged. the article is all about my car and civic's so whats the point of the evo pic. also the guy racing must of had a chip or else he was only hitting 108 in a stock focus. good article to read though
Old May 29, 2005, 06:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Try Texas...

First offense for racing on a public road: Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days (6 months) in Jail, and or $4000 fine. Not to mention your car getting dragged to impound by the local inbred. It only goes up from there... if ANYONE is seriously hurt, your looking at 2-20 years in the Penitentiary, and or $10,000 fine. Of course the Police Officer's discretion decides if you were in fact "racing"!
Old May 29, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, they are still racing on US 27??!! i lived a few miles away in Pembroke Isles...allot of those kids were the craziest Ive met....even worse then the Chino,CA crowd! I remember a caprice racing in reverse, burn outs in the middle of the roads and 100+ cars in 2001....all while kids literally stopped traffic (agnery truckers) at midnight and later. Once the cops came, we would go off road into the pig farm and run away! Fun days but they were stupid...i saw allot of accidents there and the cops got savy on our escape routes
Old May 30, 2005, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
I read that this am... Not very good press for the Evo and will make it harder on those using them as daily drivers down here
no kidding.

especially here on an evo board, i'd think most of you guys would realize you didn't buy a dragster.

Should be takin the evo to sebring, and the road courses are homestead and moroso, not the 1/4.

i'm occasionally through there on the highway, comin up and down the coast to the keys, thankfully never been harassed for other people's stupidity.

take it to the track.
Old May 31, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Hah ha too funny, I know the guy in the white Evo, I almost fell off my chair when I saw that photo. Another reason why not to put ricer decals on your car. LMAO
Old May 31, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

thats jean's car isnt it?
Old May 31, 2005, 12:40 PM

"I've passed up going home with some girls some nights so I could race"
Old May 31, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xxDJrobbiekXX
"I've passed up going home with some girls some nights so I could race"
THATS GAY AS SHYT!!!!! NOT FUNNY DUDE! I never pass up ladies for a chance to kill myself or others!
Old May 31, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus
Try Texas...

First offense for racing on a public road: Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 180 days (6 months) in Jail, and or $4000 fine. Not to mention your car getting dragged to impound by the local inbred. It only goes up from there... if ANYONE is seriously hurt, your looking at 2-20 years in the Penitentiary, and or $10,000 fine. Of course the Police Officer's discretion decides if you were in fact "racing"!
And to think it used to be legal in Texas to drink beer while you were driving. How the mighty have fallen.

Quick Reply: South Florida News Paper! Evo makes the cover!