Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

having a hard time evo or sti

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't lose either way. Probably the two biggest issues would be cost or modding. You have a range of prices for the Evo from @$26k to $36k. The STI is what it is at @ $31k. If price is no object the MR is the top dog stock, and most epecially modded. If you plan on modding the car then it's the EVO, any of the three models. If you are going to stay stock the STI might be the best bang for the buck.
Old May 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
sti = ordinary
evo = special
Hows the EVO more special then the STi?

I dont get any instant boner when i drive my cousins 8 any other time from when i drive my sti.
Old May 29, 2005, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Can't go wrong with either. If you have no clear preference, buy the one which is at invoice or less, then you will have money for mods. If you can hold out for the IX however, I think it will have the edge on the STI.
Old May 29, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STiSchucky
Hows the EVO more special then the STi?

I dont get any instant boner when i drive my cousins 8 any other time from when i drive my sti.
well this evom after all...
Old May 29, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

...you post up on an Evo board and ask us which one we'd pick?
Old May 29, 2005, 05:00 PM

yes...i did the same on the sti board....i am getting some pretty good answers here. I am particularly interested in the ride, since i will drive it everyday. I am probably not willing to pay the premium for the MR...so i am concerned about the ride quality. i am leaning toward the subeeboo actually...at least this particular 5 minutes..
Old May 29, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

ride quality?!

just get an acura?
Old May 29, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Drive both and get the one you like ... do a search, this topic has been covered many time before and you will find alot more info that people won't list on this thread that will give you the good and bad for both ... do NOT listen to the people that say it is cheaper to mod for more power ... its all BS because they haven't done their research taking the cost of labor into the equation ....
how could it NOT be cheaper to mod the evo??? for christ sakes there at FOUR freakin cams in the STi so about $300 per cam is $1200 alone on JUST cams not to mention that the MOTOR must be pulled out in order to install them so how is this not more labor???? Trust me I had a neighbor with a MODDED to **** WRX (basically and STi) who spend a sh!tload trying to get that moving....it was movin alright but with the money he spent on it (which he sold everything inclduing the car and bought an EVO) could have had a 10 sec EVO so nowhere am I BSing about the cost. Plain and simple just about anybody can work on 4G63 compared to that boxter engine...dont belive me still PM me and I will give you my buddies number and hell tell you the same thing, EVO OWNS STi ANYDAY....
Old May 29, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

Fu?k the STI!!!
If u want to be a poser("wanted an evo but settled for a Sti")person then buy that toy-looking,tranny-busting,boxer-POS, then go buy WRX W/ A WING! if u want a real rally car(2.0 bit?hes) get the EVO!!!!!

4G63 GEARHEAD ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 29, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbolover
Fu?k the STI!!!
If u want to be a poser("wanted an evo but settled for a Sti")person then buy that toy-looking,tranny-busting,boxer-POS, then go buy WRX W/ A WING! if u want a real rally car(2.0 bit?hes) get the EVO!!!!!

Old May 29, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

i haven't ridden in a GSR or RS Evo, but i did get a ride in a STi and compared to my MR the ride in the STi was a lot harsher feeling. i think the STi still had the stock suspension on it as well as the guy mentioned that he was going to get the "pink" springs for it (it was the personal car of one of the salesmen at the Subie dealer).

i like the gauges and some of the interior bits on the STi better, but i like the interior of my S4 much more than the Subie. so for me it came down to the better durability and mod-ability of the Evo motor (based on what i had read) and getting to test drive the MR. the test drive really was key so if there is anyway you can get to drive both of the cars i think you'll know which one is for you.

of course, either way you get a damn fun car to drive!! good luck!
Old May 29, 2005, 08:49 PM

Fu?k the STI!!!

I agree STiS SUCK!!!!!

ALL THE WAYZORS!!

lol @ these idiots who go to a certain board and ask and will just recieve a biased opinion

i love the evo

i love the sti

and v8s still suck
Old May 29, 2005, 09:14 PM

Fu?k the STI!!!

show me a STI tranny that broke....show me a STi clutch that was smoked....not gonna happen...lol.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

The STI's 2.5 (no replacement for displacement) is pretty solid, that and the Porsche engineered 6 speed with variable dialed differential make it pretty cool. The throttle wire issue sorta limits modability, but they are working on that. Subaru is a solid company that is really good about backing their warranties, even with mods. Side airbags are cool too. The wing has gotstago.

The skidpad numbers, 0-60, etc., are so close it is irrelevant...That said, the DSM engine is a solid unit (you don't have the awesome rumble of the horizontally opposed boxer engine in the STI), but you have massive accessiblity of upgrades and tons of tuner R&D that go with the 4g63...The Evo 5 speed is way better than the WRX's 5 speed, the wing is really cool, the seats are Recaro, the handling is superior and the steering rack make for a car that dominates the current gen WRX/STI mod for mod.

Bottom line -- The Evo is a superior vehicle on the tarmac...At least my experience on the track and having been a WRX owner makes me conclude this. If you are for limited modding and/or offroad use, go STI.

edit -- and too many tree-hugging hippies with dumb bumperstickers reallly turn me off about the Subaru community.

Last edited by MRinChrist; May 29, 2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:28 PM

I'm 37, and my "regular" 03 evo ride doesn't bother me except on rather bumpy roads, and drive >2hrs. The EVO looks better, has and awesome shifter, handles better, and after dropping $2,500 on VISHNU has >65 hp extra.

I'd rather have the Bilsteins though, and will probably change out in another couple years.

(I've never ridden in an STI - just my thoughts)

Quick Reply: having a hard time evo or sti