Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

having a hard time evo or sti

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STiSchucky
Hows the EVO more special then the STi?
for starters
http://astro.temple.edu/~tua06166/sccscan1.jpg
http://astro.temple.edu/~tua06166/sccscan2.jpg
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=car+year
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=car+year
Old May 29, 2005, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ebaybrad
I am new here. I am sure that this has been done before many times. I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Both are really excellent cars overall. I know that Subaru has a very good serivce department and make excellent cars. They also arent in financial trouble like Mitsu. I have heard that Mitsu's start to rattle and creak when they get some mileage on em. I have also heard that the ride quality on the evo is tough compared to the subaru and that the subaru is easier to live with daily. I rode in both and got to drive niether (damn dealers). The evo was a MR and it seemed to have good ride quality (though we weren;t on a tough road). The Subaru, to me, does not have as nice styling outside...but nicer inside. I am going to remove the wing from either and think that the evo will look better without it. I know i will get biased answers here, however, i really need help deciding. Lets face it, neither look like Ferarri's, however, that is not why we like em is it?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dude okay, Just last weekend I was faced with the EXACT same situation you are in, and I made the call last weekend - Evolution MR. Picked it up last saturday and ive had ZERO regrets.

Here's why I did it:

Everything you said is right, well most of it. You're right, the STi has a nicer interior (6-disc changer, pretty seats & dash, + cruise control). But if you have an i-pod, who needs the 6 disc. Seats, I went for stability over fat-man seets.

And what REALLY pushed me into the evo was the performance. I got really lucky, and both the subie dealership and the mitsu guys told me to really open the car up. (sucks for whover gets the car I test drove). In the end, the MR felt like such a better driving experience. You're connected to the road so well, something the STi will ALWAYS lack. The steering on the Evo MR sold me. Its perfection, to say the least. You can be cruising wonderfully with 1 finger on the wheel and if you need to take that REALLY tight corner at 45 mph just spin the wheel and feel those seats grab you.

sti has nothing on the MR for handling. Speed/power is such a drivers game really. Trust me i drove them both. Sti has more low-end grunt but it really lacks what the evo has in the high rpm's. Like I said its a drivers game.

Go with the MR you will not regret it !!!

p.s. if you ever want to take people in the back of your car, GOOD LUCK WITH THE STI lololol. Evo has so much room in the back its wonderful. Im 6'2 and my friends can sit back there with plenty of comfort.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

FYI: imprezas are the number 1 lemon back in 2004.
Old May 30, 2005, 01:49 AM

Evooooo!!!
Old May 30, 2005, 07:31 AM

oo an award.

Put it like this...

If you want to reduce your speeding tickets, buy an EVO.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:03 AM

hmmm......I don't want to egg on the stupid EVO/STi battle but........the EVo is hundreths or thousandths of a second faster than a STi in many tests I've seen. Big deal....but you know what....it only happened because a computer is controlling the handling. Thats sad. If you can't drive a car, drive a EVO. I watched something funny lastnight, actually I videotaped it. 2 MR's raced at a demolition derby. They competed in a "Spectator Drag Race" which was one lap oval drag racing. Winner advances. The 1st MR got beat by a 97+ Camaro...stock. The second MR won the event..but got his car destroyed in the process. The back bumper got smashed, and he now blows bluish/yellow smoke.......whata smart EVO owner...typical. I would post the video but I don't have the program to download it to my computer. One of the EVo owners is on this board...I will save him the humiliation and keep his name quiet.
After watching the MR's run around the track I am convinced that they really don't handle all that great. They both almost crashed going into turns...yeah I have it on film. The cars pushed through the corners. Where is that great handling?
oh yeah...the Camaro driver was a female.
One more thing......go onto the STi boards.......you won't hear or see one thread about the EVO. They don't complain about them or talk"junk"...like I see here all the time. All this board seems to do is whine about STi's....why?

Last edited by Titleist71; May 30, 2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Titleist71
hmmm......I don't want to egg on the stupid EVO/STi battle but........the EVo is hundreths or thousandths of a second faster than a STi in many tests I've seen. Big deal....but you know what....it only happened because a computer is controlling the handling. Thats sad. If you can't drive a car, drive a EVO. I watched something funny lastnight, actually I videotaped it. 2 MR's raced at a demolition derby. They competed in a "Spectator Drag Race" which was one lap oval drag racing. Winner advances. The 1st MR got beat by a 97+ Camaro...stock. The second MR won the event..but got his car destroyed in the process. The back bumper got smashed, and he now blows bluish/yellow smoke.......whata smart EVO owner...typical. I would post the video but I don't have the program to download it to my computer. One of the EVo owners is on this board...I will save him the humiliation and keep his name quiet.
After watching the MR's run around the track I am convinced that they really don't handle all that great. They both almost crashed going into turns...yeah I have it on film. The cars pushed through the corners. Where is that great handling?
One more thing......go onto the STi boards.......you won't hear or see one thread about the EVO. They don't complain about them or talk"junk"...like I see here all the time. All this board seems to do is whine about STi's....why?
Then why are you sitting there talking trash????

Anyways, to the original poster... good luck on your decision. Remember that it will ultimately come down to what YOU feel comfortable in and comfortable with. Hope you get what you wnat!!!
Old May 30, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

I've been happy with my RS. If you do go the RS route, you'll have to roll up your own windows, install your own radio, live without ABS, etc. I'm OK with it because I bought it for the track. Also, you have to really like red or white paint.

That said, you'll have a lighter car, no wing; and will have saved about $8k to spend on mods of your choosing. You can do a hell of a lot to an EVO with $8k.

Warranty on Mitsu has as much to do with the dealership as it does w/mitsu.
Old May 30, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsmythe2
I've been happy with my RS. If you do go the RS route, you'll have to roll up your own windows, install your own radio, live without ABS, etc. I'm OK with it because I bought it for the track. Also, you have to really like red or white paint.

That said, you'll have a lighter car, no wing; and will have saved about $8k to spend on mods of your choosing. You can do a hell of a lot to an EVO with $8k.

Warranty on Mitsu has as much to do with the dealership as it does w/mitsu.
Great post. It's totally true. Don't get sucked into this whole warranty thing. Warranty claims start with a human being working behind the counter of a local dealership. Research your local dealer rather than the rantings of a bunch of guys who were denied warranty work on their 400whp dragsters.

I bought an RS in February and have been very happy with it. If Subaru offered a stripped down version of the STi I may have bought one of those instead, but they don't. I really wanted side-airbags, having been in a bad side impact collision before, but the '05 Evos all have reinforced door beams. It's not quite a wash, but it's definately a form of supplemental side protection.

One thing you need to do is drive both cars. My dealership had an '05 STi (that they took as a trade on an '05 Evo) with pink springs and a stiffer rear sway bar. It definately had more grunt down low (2k-2.8k RPM's) but the Evo, even in stock form, handled much better in a bunch of different ways...driver feedback, planted to the road, seats holding you in, steering rack, etc.

Take a look at the roads you drive everyday and make a decicison...stoplight brawler or twisty killer? I drive through the foothills every day so the Evo made more sense.

BTW...aftermarket goes to the Evo's 4g63. If you plan to mod you're dollar will go a lot further on the Evo.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Quicker steering rack. Gets them everytime!! After driving both you can tell the Sti is slower in steering response.
Old May 30, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

From what I have seen, 90% of both cars owners can't drive the damn things properly, so I wouldn't get too worked up about some of the minute differences that people describe.
I constantly hear people here going on about their 600hp Evo's and Impreza owners making mod changes to the car before actually being actually able to drive the things.

What possible use is a 600bhp evo - the damn thing would be sooooo laggy, as to make the thing undrivable. If you need to take either of these cars to the drag strip, you are just demonstrating that you have no idea of what these cars are for.

Buy the car that you most want, keep it pretty stock, and get some driving lessons to boot. Not only will you enjoy the car much more, you'll be able to sell it in a few years after some hassle free and fun motoring.
Old May 30, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

how about you get the evo since the ct9a has endless mods!
nuf said!
Old May 30, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Titleist71
Most people don't have a clue how to really drive an Evo OR an STi, so I'm not surprised by what you saw. My example is quite the opposite. I took my MR with stock suspension/tires/clutch and a few minor power mods to an auto-x this weekend. Out of 80 cars, I finished in the top 5 (possibly 3rd, but official results haven't been released) with no auto-x experience and no racing experience whatsoever other than dragging and PS2 simulators. My first run EVER netted me a top 10 time despite having no clue what I was doing. By my 5th run, I was clicking through the turns smoothly without stressing the car much at all. The only 2 cars that I KNOW beat me each had racing tires (R compounds and slicks), so I'd say the MR is quite capable in its stock form.
Old May 30, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Titleist71]hmmm......I don't want to egg on the stupid EVO/STi battle but........the EVo is hundreths or thousandths of a second faster than a STi in many tests I've seen. Big deal....but you know what....it only happened because a computer is controlling the handling. Thats sad. If you can't drive a car, drive a EVO. I watched something funny lastnight, actually I videotaped it. 2 MR's raced at a demolition derby. They competed in a "Spectator Drag Race" which was one lap oval drag racing. Winner advances. The 1st MR got beat by a 97+ Camaro...stock. The second MR won the event..but got his car destroyed in the process. The back bumper got smashed, and he now blows bluish/yellow smoke.......whata smart EVO owner...typical. I would post the video but I don't have the program to download it to my computer. One of the EVo owners is on this board...I will save him the humiliation and keep his name quiet.
One more thing......go onto the STi boards.......you won't hear or see one thread about the EVO. They don't complain about them or talk"junk"...like I see here all

the time. All this board seems to do is whine about STi's....why?[/QUOT

"EVO sti"
Old May 30, 2005, 06:47 PM

The difference between the two is minute. Having driven both, I picked the Evo, but I wouldn't slight anyone for getting an STi (especially since an MR costs about $3000 more).

Quick Reply: having a hard time evo or sti