Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

having a hard time evo or sti

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypnoz
Sure, Subaru just gave "your friends" new engines and trannies after heavy modification. That's the most rediculous thing i've ever heard.
You got me...Just making things up as I go

Mommy spank you tonight?
Old Jun 2, 2005, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

It's simple logic, no car company on earth could stay in business giving free engines and trannys to people who blow them up with heavy modification.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

id say its up to you to decide, never buy something based on someone elses opinion.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ebaybrad
I am new here. I am sure that this has been done before many times. I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Both are really excellent cars overall. I know that Subaru has a very good serivce department and make excellent cars. They also arent in financial trouble like Mitsu. I have heard that Mitsu's start to rattle and creak when they get some mileage on em. I have also heard that the ride quality on the evo is tough compared to the subaru and that the subaru is easier to live with daily. I rode in both and got to drive niether (damn dealers). The evo was a MR and it seemed to have good ride quality (though we weren;t on a tough road). The Subaru, to me, does not have as nice styling outside...but nicer inside. I am going to remove the wing from either and think that the evo will look better without it. I know i will get biased answers here, however, i really need help deciding. Lets face it, neither look like Ferarri's, however, that is not why we like em is it?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Flip a coin and call heads or tails. You won't be sorry
Old Jun 2, 2005, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

ive owned all three. i could make this long but i will sum it up real quick. hey i added the evo cause i was having fun.

r32...smooth gearbox, killer steering wheel, heavy but like the sti isnt, hatchback, smooth powerband great torque in the mnts, seats are sick, you stuff a 7'8" egg surfboard in it , chicks dig it, big golf doors, refined interior, good gas mileage on the highway. haldex...hmm. hpa twin turbo..are you rich. get smoked by both of the cars below and most wrx's considering a lot are stage 2. tires suck. give us brembo's.

sti...somewhat smooth gearbox, decent steering wheel, we need the spec c, where is the wagon or fold down rear seats, blistering powerband fun everywhere, seats are good for beer goggle chicks, interior is getting there, decent mileage. has dccd over the r32. kick *** tires. brembos...check.

evo...notchy gearbox, butter downshifts, cheap looking interior, good feel steering wheel...why not leather, we get the rs , great power across the board, seats are in second place here, gas mileage suffers when im lead footed, overall its not a whiners car or someone who cant drive. i like acd better than dccd. kick kick *** tires. brembos...check.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 01:51 AM
Evolved Member

having had all 3(and 2 wrx's), like anything they have their quirks. but aside from fufu bs i think the evo out of the box is a better handling car.

you could give all 3 cars gold medals...well the r32 would be fake though. and sti would be mispelled and evo just right.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRinChrist
My buddy works for SportCompactMag, everyone there preferred the Evo...GSR and MR over the STI...I think Forbes Magazine (a financial publication) put the STI above the Evo, probably because of the strength of the company and crash testing (and they are old farts)...

At present the Evo is the more sophisticated performer...Subaru will step up to the plate, but it will have to be along the lines of the JDM RA Spec-C to compete.
True...I forgot to mention, it was Sport Compact Car of the year for 2003 and 04
Old Jun 2, 2005, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

I have everything single award and articles on the evo on my wall...so sad...but im 17 and wish i could afford one..but not till after i finish college lol...well...anyways..I have the Automobile Magazine Award where it was Car of the Year, I have the Sport Compact Car Award Article, I have the Motor Trend October 2004 comparison of the MR and Subaru. This may come to a surprise, when they dynoed both cars stock on dynojet, the Evo put down 239 whp and the STi put down only 233 whp, the evo had 248 lb ft. and the STi had 249. The STi was losing by 6 whp, My best theory is that the 300 hp at the crank is Overrated. I also have the Evo MR vs STi comparison by Car and Driver which was recent. The Evo won first place because of its Got-To-Have-It- Factor and Fun Factor. Performance was better than the STi. And in the Motor Trend Issue, they tested both cars at Willow Springs (I think), but the Evo was Quicker around the lap then the STi by 59 seconds. This supports the theory that the Evo has better handling, to some..its just a fact.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Oh..I forgot to mention...I also have the 40,000 mile test on the evo done by Car and Driver...they say that there are no rattles or shaking...but rather suffer from the harsh suspension....but then again..they are a bunch of middle aged guys trying to rate a sport compact car only to be used by young folks getting a rush out of everyday driving...but it call comes down to you having to choose which ride suits you. If you feel that I am biased, i may be, but the facts are down on the table and its up to you to decide...if you want to look at these articles...i have 2 listed on the previous page...for anything else, just search at the magazine's website...search under Evo and all articles willl come up. Its not only about articles (since its other peoples opinions) but have a test drive in both cars once more and you choose the car that best suits you.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

And in the Motor Trend Issue, they tested both cars at Willow Springs (I think), but the Evo was Quicker around the lap then the STi by 59 seconds.
59 seconds quicker a lap!
That evo is some car!
Old Jun 2, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
instead of buying an evo & removing the wing, it would make more sense to buy the RS. it has no stereo, sound deadening, or wing & the ride is stiffer than the MR. the MR has the Bilsteins & that's why it feels more supple like the STI & is also 1 of the reasons is alot higher than the regular 8. if you don't work on your own cars, by the Subaru. if you do, buy the EVO it really is a toss up. for a sleeper look on the STI, get the APS front mount intercooler in black, ditch the trunk & the hood in place for base model Impreza pieces. it's a coin toss. pick your weapon wisely young Skywalker.
Tehehe sorry but I notice alot of sti's doing that with an evo style hood, teheheh.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STiSchucky
i figured thatd get a chuckle out of somebody.
evo made the list, sti did not

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/funonw...ars/index.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=142889
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...light=Top+cars
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=men+women