Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

having a hard time evo or sti

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having a hard time evo or sti

I am new here. I am sure that this has been done before many times. I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Both are really excellent cars overall. I know that Subaru has a very good serivce department and make excellent cars. They also arent in financial trouble like Mitsu. I have heard that Mitsu's start to rattle and creak when they get some mileage on em. I have also heard that the ride quality on the evo is tough compared to the subaru and that the subaru is easier to live with daily. I rode in both and got to drive niether (damn dealers). The evo was a MR and it seemed to have good ride quality (though we weren;t on a tough road). The Subaru, to me, does not have as nice styling outside...but nicer inside. I am going to remove the wing from either and think that the evo will look better without it. I know i will get biased answers here, however, i really need help deciding. Lets face it, neither look like Ferarri's, however, that is not why we like em is it?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 29, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebaybrad
I am new here. I am sure that this has been done before many times. I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Both are really excellent cars overall. I know that Subaru has a very good serivce department and make excellent cars. They also arent in financial trouble like Mitsu. I have heard that Mitsu's start to rattle and creak when they get some mileage on em. I have also heard that the ride quality on the evo is tough compared to the subaru and that the subaru is easier to live with daily. I rode in both and got to drive niether (damn dealers). The evo was a MR and it seemed to have good ride quality (though we weren;t on a tough road). The Subaru, to me, does not have as nice styling outside...but nicer inside. I am going to remove the wing from either and think that the evo will look better without it. I know i will get biased answers here, however, i really need help deciding. Lets face it, neither look like Ferarri's, however, that is not why we like em is it?
It all depends on preference, but here are some objective opionions (I think):

1) Yes, the STi generally rides better for daily driving and has better interior. The MR, though, rides much better than the other Evos due to the Bilsteins. My wife has never once made mention of the ride feeling stiff or annoying.

2) I only have 6k miles on my MR, but the original windshield rattle was fixed by a TSB. Any other noises go unnoticed with the radio on.

3) I don't think Mitsu having troubles is a reason to decide on one or the other.

4) Warranty claims on the Evo are notoriously troublesome, especially with some mods. I haven't had one issue yet, but I am only cautiously optimistic about future occurrences.

5) If you don't want a wing, why not consider an RS? It's much cheaper, and is a raw sports car. If you want the GSR or MR amenities without a wing, you could probably sell the wing to another RS owner, though.

6) Do you plan on modding and/or racing? If so, then the Evo is the choice. It responds to modding more quickly, more easily, and for less money. It is great on the drag strip, but a demon on the twisty tracks.
Old May 29, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

i agree that the STi interior is far much nicer than the EVO, EVO is a little more on the plain side but, one thing that made me make my decision was the aftermarket. They both have a good aftermarket but you will pay A LOT more for the STi to get it going and that boxter engine is too complicated, (i.e. have pull the whole motor out if you ever blow a head GASKETS), but if money isnt an issue and you can do your own labor or want to pay a lot more for some parts and labor go with the STi. If you want the best car out there for the money get the EVO, hehe, good luck
Old May 29, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive them both and you will be able to make your choice. Any question you might have you can find the answer if you do a search.
Old May 29, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

instead of buying an evo & removing the wing, it would make more sense to buy the RS. it has no stereo, sound deadening, or wing & the ride is stiffer than the MR. the MR has the Bilsteins & that's why it feels more supple like the STI & is also 1 of the reasons is alot higher than the regular 8. if you don't work on your own cars, by the Subaru. if you do, buy the EVO it really is a toss up. for a sleeper look on the STI, get the APS front mount intercooler in black, ditch the trunk & the hood in place for base model Impreza pieces. it's a coin toss. pick your weapon wisely young Skywalker.
Old May 29, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by housedj
instead of buying an evo & removing the wing, it would make more sense to buy the RS. it has no stereo, sound deadening, or wing & the ride is stiffer than the MR. the MR has the Bilsteins & that's why it feels more supple like the STI & is also 1 of the reasons is alot higher than the regular 8. if you don't work on your own cars, by the Subaru. if you do, buy the EVO it really is a toss up. for a sleeper look on the STI, get the APS front mount intercooler in black, ditch the trunk & the hood in place for base model Impreza pieces. it's a coin toss. pick your weapon wisely young Skywalker.
There was an Blue STi at the Auto-X yesterday with a black-painted FMIC, and I didn't notice it all day until I was standing right in front of it...I was staring right at it for a few seconds before I finally realized I was looking at an actual FMIC. It's very stealth.
Old May 29, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

I say drive both and buy what ever U feel most comfortable in, and what ever just feels better for you. There are small pros and cons with each car, but You will be very happy with either car.
Old May 29, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

IMO the steering wheel on the Sube is to big and the shifter is positioned to tall and awkward for quick rips thru the gears.

Just the layout of the EVO interior is more suitable for spirited driving, but I am biased...
Old May 29, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Drive both and get the one you like ... do a search, this topic has been covered many time before and you will find alot more info that people won't list on this thread that will give you the good and bad for both ... do NOT listen to the people that say it is cheaper to mod for more power ... its all BS because they haven't done their research taking the cost of labor into the equation ....
Old May 29, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

its all gonna come down to you
Old May 29, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

get what YOU like...do a search this has been discussed a million times on here and subaru boards, what do you think your answers are gonna be , depending on which forum you put this on???? as for me i got rid of an 05 STi for my 05 GSR...im a million times happier, it is more raw, and feels the way both of these cars suppose to, only the STi doesn't.......as for creak and rattles that bull.....my wrx and STi, had way more ratlles out of the box than my EVO has......think about really what you intend to do with the how much power you want to make, and whats your budget in the longrun........
Old May 29, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Get the STi. Theres too many evos owners.

<i>kidding</i>. I love my evo. Both cars are RAW. Dont expect to be pampered by them. But I like a leather seats, so i got em...
-anthony
05 Gsr
Old May 29, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Just got 03 Evo 8 a month ago. Had to get it because everyone here has an STI. I understood that there its alot easier to fix. Bottom line is after talking to 3 of my friends who have STI's 1 of them said if he could make the decision again he would get an evo (that took ***** because he put 10k worth of work into it. The other where suprises how powerful the evo was because they had previously never driven one. But thats just at my neck of the woods. It a win/win with trade offs.
Old May 29, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

sti = ordinary
evo = special
Old May 29, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by temps
Get the STi. Theres too many evos owners.
not really , we always could use more

Quick Reply: having a hard time evo or sti