Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is your wing's clear coat chipping???...

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2005, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your wing's clear coat chipping???...

The clear coat on my wing is chipping and it looks awfull. I took good care of it with an UV protectant wax....but it didnt work. Does anybody else has this same problem?. I am going to take it to my dealer next week, but as all you know warranty for this kind of thing can be a pain in the *** since they denied me warrant for my break calipers, which has the same problem...clear coat is chipping
Old May 30, 2005, 08:16 PM

I have a dime size chip in mine too... I have tired to fill it with clear coat touch up and it seems to soak into the carbon fiber... I need to figure out how to fix this too...

Chris
Old May 30, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

carbon fiber needs a gel clearcoat, so you should probably have it taken to a body shop
Old May 30, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

i have a dime size one on my wing also
Old May 30, 2005, 08:20 PM

yup, me too. About 2 inch half moon shape on the trailing edge. It gets worse each time wash it! Local dealer said no problem for warranty parts are on the way hopefully fixed very soon. I'll post with results.
Old May 30, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cdavy
I have a dime size chip in mine too... I have tired to fill it with clear coat touch up and it seems to soak into the carbon fiber... I need to figure out how to fix this too...

Chris
Me to....its small, but theres a lot of spots where the clear coat has turn into a white-ish/gray-ish color...its hard to decribe, but i know that if i dont take care of this, it will start chipping even more. There are some spots that u can chip the clear coat off with your finger nail. I will try to take some pics tomorrow
Old May 30, 2005, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Go to the dealership. The first few runs of wings were done by some company which didn't do a good job. They should give you another one.
Old May 30, 2005, 10:46 PM

Mine was chipping/peeling and just generally looked like ***. I had it replaced under warranty with no problem.

-nurb2-
Old May 31, 2005, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

I wax the clear part on my wing everytime I wash the car (with the good stuff :P) and it seems to be holding up well, except if you look closely theres a part where it looks like someone set a coke can on it before the clear coat was dry all the way lol seriously its weird, a perfect circle...

But yeah the dealer should replace it for you, there's nothing you could have done to cause this problem... maybe try going to a different dealer (not fixing your calipers is BS)
Old May 31, 2005, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

i have 2 small size chips. i had the area rep take a look at it and he tried telling me that i used something abrasive on my wing. i almost shat myself from laughing so hard. Yeah moron i used sand paper on my wing. he told me to keep an eye on it, and if it gets any worse they will replace it.