Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help find out what BOV this is

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sounds so crappy i cant even tell haha. It sounds alot like my old SSQ when the fin was broken, or my Blitz DD when the Valve got shut open. Other then that i cant tell what it is, other then crap
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that last post was me i didnt realize i was on my girlfriends account, whoops
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

That sounds like my Forge recir. bov... but only in half throttle, when you let off the gas halfway, in high boost. It does get annoying, but it holds boost pretty well. I asked where to get other springs/shims but Mike@Forge doesn't even answer my pms or email.

But I also noticed that when I installed the stock bov the wrong way. Maybe you could ask the person selling the car??
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

what the!?....sounds like he cut a hole on the intake pipe!...That doesn't sound right
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

That BOV sounds terrible!
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

i think its a greddy type-s BOV
Old Jun 1, 2005, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

that sounds like any BOV I have ever tried when the spring tension is to tight, or to strong of a spring is used. In other words, it sounds like compressor surge because the BOV is not working the way it's supposed to, i.e air bypass valve is not bypassing enough air. Try removing your BOV altogother and it sounds like that too.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people can't recognize surge and think it's actually normal operation.

Last edited by 95GSXtoEVO8; Jun 1, 2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 09:36 PM

in one of the BMI videos, they had a heavily modded GT-R with HKS SSQV and sounded exactly like that (they were comparing various companies cars; drift king driven all of them). so my vote goes to HKS SSQV. i agree with few others, that sounded like crap... no BOV should sound like that.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

OK let me just say it again... ITS THE BLITZ DD WITH THE FILTER TIP ON!!! IM 100% sure. If you take the filter tip off the DD its JUST A LOUD CLEAN SWOOSH, But if you put it on THATS HOW IT SOUNDS. BLITZ bov's makes that soudn when you put on the added tip. ITS a BLITZ i bet my car on it...100%. Get the blitz and put the Intake filter looking tip on and thats the sound u get.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turtlelancer
OK let me just say it again... ITS THE BLITZ DD WITH THE FILTER TIP ON!!! IM 100% sure. If you take the filter tip off the DD its JUST A LOUD CLEAN SWOOSH, But if you put it on THATS HOW IT SOUNDS. BLITZ bov's makes that soudn when you put on the added tip. ITS a BLITZ i bet my car on it...100%. Get the blitz and put the Intake filter looking tip on and thats the sound u get.
well then the addition of that tip caused the bov to not bypass enough air and that's why it made that noise. The noise is compressor surge. Try removing your BOV altogother or reversing it, you will hear the same noise. Think about it, that's why everyone on this thread keeps naming a different BOV. We have heard HKS, type-S, forge, Blitz, Apex'i, turboxs, etc. It's a generic sound made by the turbo itself that happens with any misconfigured or poorly functioning BOV.

When a BOV is functioning properly, it should sound somewhat like air being QUICKLY and FORCEFULLY expelled, be it a whoosh, a pssssst, a chirp, or whatever. Not a long cha-cha-cha-cha sound, that's the sound of waves of air being redirected back and shocking the compresser wheel that's spinning at crazy rpms.

Once you hear what a car sounds like with NO BOV at all, then it's easy to distinguish between a functioning and non-functioning one.

Last edited by 95GSXtoEVO8; Jun 1, 2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bar
saw car on ebay
wow, then, i would never buy that car. feel bad for the poor sucker buying that off ebay and to find out only 1-2 years down the road that his/her turbo is broke.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 06:33 AM

If you want a really loud Blow-off Valve get the Tial Vent to Atmosphere. It sounds really good.

Last edited by evolution8; Jun 2, 2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

It sounds just like my old Mazda speed Protege's stock diverter vavle just alot louder.. lol
Old Jun 2, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

acutally it sounds like a raccoon is stuck in his engine bay or something. tha'ts what it sounds like to me =/
Old Jun 2, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

its just the stock bov is installed backwards....