Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: If your car arrives with a sunroof will you buy it?
Yes
76.54%
No
23.46%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Sunroof to be or not to be....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2003, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof to be or not to be....

I came to realize that they might be pushing sunroofs on a lot of the initial cars shipped. With this in mind (I never checked to see if there was a previous poll on the subject) I was wondering how many people actually want a sunroof and the main poll question is when your car comes will you buy it IF it has a sunroof? I really don't want one but I guess if I had to take it I would. It's extra weight and less safe in a crash or rollover and on top of that I never use the one I have now!

Hope this poll thing works
Old Feb 17, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

If the Evo I accounted for arrives with the sunroof installed, I'd get it no problem, but I'd rather not. But first I'll ask if they have another Evo similar to that of the one I accounted for. If not, then no prob. I'd take it...I mean I've been waiting for this car for so long. So what the heck, Shure I'd take it.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

same thing for me, i think. i'll be looking for a non-sunroof model (i'll be looking a little later down the line that in march), but if it that was all i could find in the two colors i was looking for, i'd probably take it.

i'm tall (6'5"+), so the clearance is the main concern with me, but i think i saw that it was only about a half of an inch difference in head room between the two...less than an inch, anyway.

-K
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'm in the same boat...
I would rather not have one, but if I get a choice between a color that I want with one and a color that I don't want without one, I will take the car with the sunroof. It's a pretty nice sunroof, and it would be nice in the summer, but I would prefer to skip the expense & extra weight - but it's no biggie
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Sunroof to be or not to be....

In semi-related news, it appears that from the April allocations on dealers will be able to select color, but not package, unlike the current situation where there is no choice of anything.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:55 PM

I wouldn't get a sunroof, they are just extra rattle traps. The sunroofs on the older eclipses are pretty cheap.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by K)!!y
i'm tall (6'5"+), so the clearance is the main concern with me, but i think i saw that it was only about a half of an inch difference in head room between the two...less than an inch, anyway.
Well, I'm the same height and a over 300lbs, so I'm a big guy I'd say. When picking my Lancer, it was the OZ I got specifically because it's the only model I could get with a stick and a sunroof, not that I'm not happy with the improved wheels and interior as well.

Anyway, to make my point, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting, sunroof or not, assuming the Evo is somewhat similar in headroom space to the current Lancers...
-N
Old Feb 17, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by LancerEvolution
I'd take it...I mean I've been waiting for this car for so long. So what the heck, Shure I'd take it.
I dunno, but if I were about to spend 30,000 for a car I've been waiting for for so long, it better be exactly what I wanted. I've known some others who got things they didn't personally want and regretted it afterwards.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by neilscully

Anyway, to make my point, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting, sunroof or not, assuming the Evo is somewhat similar in headroom space to the current Lancers...
-N
thanks very much for the info, neil. the model i sat in at the LA auto show ws the sunroofed red one, and i was pretty pleased with how i fit overall (even in the back! although i bet i won't be spending much time back there...hah...maybe if i can get my mom to drive it a lil' when i visit ). slightly more room in every respect from the driver's seat, with respect to my old (and stolen) integra...and i wasn't terribly uncomfortable in that one, although things could certainly be improved.

although my weight certainly doesn't match my height quite like yours...i'm on the other end of that spectrum.

-K
Old Feb 18, 2003, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Man I'm in agreeance with everyone. On the one hand I've waited so long for this car that if I had to get one in the colors I liked with a sunroof I might as well get it if it meant waiting months for a new one. On the other hand I agree I should get exactly what I want and what I'm paying for. Else I might regret it further down the road. In all honesty it seems kind of weird they'd fit a pure bred rally car with a sunroof in the first place.
Right now I know they're getting a black one in which is my second choice color. They said they might be able to get me a silver which is my first choice. Hopefully I get the silver but if the black has no roof and the silver does it may be black for me.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

i got my black no sunroof big spoiler on its way! it just better thrill me on the test drive......
Old Feb 18, 2003, 07:37 AM

sorry guys but i will make up for the extra weight somewhere else. there isn't anything like blowing down the expressway 100+ with your moonroof open. I live in michigan and want to enjoy the good weather when we have it. I have ordered the A61 in black and have heard that it should be here sometime in march but who really knows?
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

I fought to get a sunroof, all the cars in the first and second allocation were slated to have no sunroof ( at my dealership ).
I have never had any issues with my sunroof in my 99 GSX ( I'm assuming that the EVO's will be at least that good)
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Re: Re: Sunroof to be or not to be....

Originally posted by Mark F
In semi-related news, it appears that from the April allocations on dealers will be able to select color, but not package, unlike the current situation where there is no choice of anything.
We were able to pick all options on the 2nd allocation.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:59 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it is a good way to show visitors the skyline of chicago, with the sunroof open, hope it is a moonroof!

Quick Reply: Sunroof to be or not to be....