Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The final solution to alarm/tt install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The final solution to alarm/tt install

okay well, I know, alot of you may say that this has already been done before with a diagram provided on the board. When I recently installed my alarm, I used it and it worked great...for the most part. The problem with the other diagram is that it switches the 12V ignition signal between the TT and alarm. This came into play in my particular alarm (black widow) with some minor features that I wanted my alarm to do that required a 12V signal to the ignition sensing wire while the car was on. Things like the starter defeat, locking wen pressing the brake and unlocking when turning the car off, but most of all, actually programming my alarm required the ignition on with a 12V signal to the ignition sensing wire. Not happening due to my Blitz TT hogging the signal when the car is ON.

Anyway, like I said most of it was niceties, but I figured, hey, I payed for it, why can't I use it? There had to be another way. There is. I tried playing around with the ACC wire, but that wire cuts the 12V signal when you put the key in the START position. I also tried using the keysense wire to engage/disengage a relay, but it was proving difficult since the key rests to ground when its out and open when key in.

I thought to myself, why not use BOTH the START and ACC power source to give a continous 12V signal while the car is on and disengage when the car is off. This keeps the signal isolated from the IGN wire that the TT uses to keep energized while counting down. Using diodes, you can isolate the signal from each other but keep a constant 12V signal to energize a relay

Here is my schematic:

You have to make sure you hook up the diodes with the correct polarity and you have to use the secondary accessory wire as that is the one that energizes in the ACC position. Oh, the diodes are just standard 1 Amp ones you can get at Radioshack for a few cents. Keep in mind that you are TAPPING into the two (ACC & START) wires, not cutting/rewiring them.

This works great for me, I can use 100% of my alarms features AND still maintain the functions of the TT without any confusion between the two. This is just another method but I reallt think it is a little simpler. You really don't even have to use the relay...I just used it to make sure everything is a little safer. Well, I hope this helps some of you as I was unable to use the other method, which may just be because of my particular alarm...

If anybody has any comments or any takes on a possible drawback, please let me know.

Last edited by aresix6; Jun 4, 2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, OT, but are you the aresix from the R6Messagenet? just wondering.. i just got back from jamba juice bike night up in sac.. crazy.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Sure am...hey's it's a small world! I was workin on this damn alarm setup so I didn't get a chance to swing by there. I usually don't go too often though, cuz I usually gotta head out for work at about 4am the next day...man, I gotta get my beauty sleep. Anyway, I usually hit up some twisties (on the bike, haven't taken the car out there yet) on the weekend...Salmon-Falls, Mosquito Ridge, etc....

Maybe we'll hook up soemtime...hit me up..
Old Jun 3, 2005, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

damn, you shoulda discovered this a while ago when I still had my evo, that problem was bugging the hell out of me.

I messed around with 2 relays, but the problem was when my viper alarm was armed, it would time down, and when it shuts the car off, the alarm would disarm, unless I wire it a certain way that the alarm won't do that. But I'd have to bypass the ignition security from the alarm using the relays.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

sorry, took me about 2-3 weeks to dream this one up. Wish I coulda been more help. It looks pretty simple and it actually is. You shoulda seen the crazy contraptions I was attempting to come up with to solve this problem. They started getting WAY complicated. One of em even had 6 relays in it...SIX RELAYS! K.I.S.S...the best policy...

Last edited by aresix6; Jun 4, 2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

aresix6---what do u do for living? alarm installer?just curious,
i ll definitely use ur thing when i get install my alarm,.
thanks
Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

LOL! No, I'm a generator field tech..basically a glorified, mobile engine mechanic...I just enjoy mobile electronics...I've been a "backyard installer" since as far as I can remember and actually worked at a car stereo place a few years back...but I have no certifications. Glad I could be of help...

Last edited by aresix6; Jun 4, 2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the right up. I purchased the car with a python alarm and recently bought a tt. I dont have any real extensive experience with this kind of thing. I've done a few car systems in the past but nothing real glamorous. Just wondering if someone would endulge me and explain the diagram. Also, is this using a relay and what is a relay? Sorry for all the questions, just looking for some help.