Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Electrical HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2005, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical HELP!!!

Last night I realized my climate controls and radio lights weren't on when I had my headlights on. I also realized my whole passenger side (front and rear) parking lights don't work (Front headlights and turn signals work).

I recently installed Defi D gauges, but I wired them in on Friday, and this problem didn't occur until last night. Could it be the gauges? Could it be a fuse? I'm going to double check all my gauges (wiring) and my fuses later today.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Would anyone know what the problem is?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

What you just suggested for areas to check would be an excellent place to check.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that the fuse for the parking lights is under the hood.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gestalt
I believe that the fuse for the parking lights is under the hood.
Thanks. I'll check there first.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Its def a fuse under the hood for the right parking likes or whatever. I blew that fuse and i felt dumb because my parking likes on the right didnt work. I was like WTF?!
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Do you guys happen to know what amp fuse? Are they mini fuses or regular size fuses?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MIevo8MR
Do you guys happen to know what amp fuse? Are they mini fuses or regular size fuses?
Mini fuses and they should be Like 10amp i believe. I MIGHT BE WRONG but for lights its normally just 10 amps
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

The ones under the hood are regular sizes, correct? I apologize if i'm wrong.

but the ones behind the "pocket" to the left of the steering column are mini fuses.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's 10 as well...
Old Jun 6, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll just grab a bunch of fuses here at work and go check them during lunch. I might throw in an inline fuse just for the gauges. I just hate having to drive around with no parking lights if the fuse ever blows out again.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

It was the fuse (underhood). I wonder if it's the gauges doing it. I just used the existing wiring, so I can't imagine why it's blowing the fuse.

Might be becuase its getting warmer. I can't imagine the Defi D gauges having a higer current draw than the factory performance gauge package. I checked the amp draw, and with the gauges on it is 0.2 amps per gauge. I'll see if it blows again. I might have to tap power for the gauges elsewhere.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MIevo8MR
It was the fuse (underhood). I wonder if it's the gauges doing it. I just used the existing wiring, so I can't imagine why it's blowing the fuse.

Might be becuase its getting warmer. I can't imagine the Defi D gauges having a higer current draw than the factory performance gauge package. I checked the amp draw, and with the gauges on it is 0.2 amps per gauge. I'll see if it blows again. I might have to tap power for the gauges elsewhere.
Because it was a fuse, you should really check your wiring. Sometimes fuses will just let go (usually due to age) but most of the times when a fuse burns up there was a current surge. Seeing as how your gauges only draw .2 A and it not happening right away, I cannot see this as being a continuous draw issue (electrical systems are generally engineered to have protection at 125% of the load for minimal surges). If it happens again, look at the wiring and make sure nothing is exposed that could possibly short out. Keep in mind, if wiring harnesses are not secured, movement between contact points can result as well as unprotected power wires touching something that is grounded.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like your hooked to the incorrect dimmer wire. Not sure how those gauges hook up but mitsu has a grounding dimmer instead of hot like most cars. I would just hook your gauge illum wire to an actual illumination wire "parking lights" something that doesnt dim. If your fuse keeps blowing it will eventually burn something up. Bring it to your local stereo shop if you cant figure it out.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 06:44 PM

I agree that it is the wiring. A friend a my had a stereo installed at Bestbuy and the stereo would turn off whenever he turned on the lights. I believe they traced the problem to a wire they tapped which the installer belived was a ground wire.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

I'm using all of existing Mitsu lighting wiring. Does that mean Mitsu doesn't know how to wire to the correct circuit? or does that mean the Defi D gauges are drawing a lot more current than the factory performance gauge package? I wouldn't imagine so, since the Defi Ds are backlite by bulb and not LED. I'll have to look at the electrical diagrams.

Quick Reply: Electrical HELP!!!