Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

turbo showdown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo showdown

Sorry about the double post.

Well Im up to the point of wanting to take the next step in performance. I have been reading off and on, posting in other forums and makeing phone calls. Im comeing to a point of pulling my hair out picking my next step. So far I have been a true vishnu fan staying witht here guided staged system and loveing every min of it. So now the time has come.. Here are my thoughts, Im debateing the Vishnu stage 3 with the 3037 or gt35r. My hopes were to get 500 or so hp, I know the average 3037 is 400 where the average 35 is 450ish.. So if numbers where the only decideing factor then the 35 would be an easy pick. But im trying to go about this the smart way and weight out all the facts. Im trying to find charts of both turbos, at what rpms do these turbos have there full power, which is going to be more realistic and which would better for my needs. With that let me lay it out and you guys can hopefully give me an insight.
I would like to track my car more at tracks like vir and road atlanta
however most of my time is on the roads, daily driver
when I do race its more than likely from a roll with whom ever pulls up
Sure I wouldnt mind running a 1/4 mile run at the track and lay a SWEET number
I dont drive around with race fuel in the take
how much harder does the gt35r pull over the 3037 and if someone was going from say a 20 to 100 run who would pull if the two cars where vishnu stage 3.

this being said
1 circuit raceing a plus
2 daily driven so streetable
3 most raceing/ rolls on the road
4 low 11's would be sweet 10's better heh
5 best on 93 octane

well thanks for your help guys.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

One thing i know is that the GT35R is fantastic on race gas....but on pump........not nearly as good.

my old car made 430 on pump and 490 on race with my turbotrix turbo kit.....

a friend on mine made 580 on race with a gt35r but only 390 on pump.

you have to figure out which fuel you will be running more consistantly and go from there....some turbo's are better suited for pump...and some better for race.....
Old Jun 7, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
One thing i know is that the GT35R is fantastic on race gas....but on pump........not nearly as good.

my old car made 430 on pump and 490 on race with my turbotrix turbo kit.....

a friend on mine made 580 on race with a gt35r but only 390 on pump.

you have to figure out which fuel you will be running more consistantly and go from there....some turbo's are better suited for pump...and some better for race.....

yeah like posted above that is a factor I was looking at. As of now I put race fuel in once every month to month and a half. So not alot of race fuel but i can get it when needed.. How is the 35r without a built bottom or built head.. Im sitting on 272/272 and cam gears. rest of mods are in sig.

I guess im likeing the punch everyone talks about with the 35r but worried unless I fill up with 110 or better have a blan not really fun to drive car. However with the 3037 it should have little better 93 octane punch (I would asume) However on race fuel the 3037 may not pack as much punch. Though I havent seen anyone that has been in both cars.

Last edited by EidolaDream; Jun 7, 2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

bump for one more shot
Old Jun 7, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry i cant help
but i would pick the gt35r
and from what i read, this is the turbo upgrade to get

and when you want to go fast , just add the race gas
Old Jun 7, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

If I had the money now, id probably go with the gt35. Alot of times ive read people said spool up is somewhat comparable to stock, and 400 something on pump on the street is going to be badass, and when you get bored you can put the race gas in.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I recommend finding someone in your area that has an upgraded turbo. The lag on a GT35R is going to be more then a GT3037, which is obvious. But the transient boost response will be a lot better w/ a GT3037. It's really up to personal preference. I have a GT3076 and there are times when I wish I would have gone w/ a samller GT3071 or GT2871. Of course, all I have to do is throw in some race gas and then I realize why I like the GT3076.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I was running into a similar dilemma for my upgrade choice. After I did all the comparisons and looked at what would work best for me, I chose to go with an AMS GT3071R kit.

I've gotten a ride in two GT35R powered Evos. One of them was in the process of being tuned for 93 octane, and the highway pulls we did were very nice. Definitely faster than stock, nice, progressive boost ramp up. One thing that very few people realize is that the gt35 on pump gas, spools up very progressively - i.e. it doesn't just suddenly hit you with gobs of power.

The other GT35R Evo I got a ride in was the AMS Evo ... race gas, 667whp ... it was beyond fast. The first time Martin hit the gas, I ... could ... not .... believe how hard the turbo hit. Honestly, it scared the friggin' **** outta me the first time around. That's also a big reason why I did not go with a gt35 for the time being. It's just too powerful on racegas ... much more car than I could handle at this point in time. However, the upside of the AMS kit is that if I ever get bored with the power of the 3071, I can simply swap in a gt35, retune, and I'm done.

l8r)
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I was running into a similar dilemma for my upgrade choice. After I did all the comparisons and looked at what would work best for me, I chose to go with an AMS GT3071R kit.

I've gotten a ride in two GT35R powered Evos. One of them was in the process of being tuned for 93 octane, and the highway pulls we did were very nice. Definitely faster than stock, nice, progressive boost ramp up. One thing that very few people realize is that the gt35 on pump gas, spools up very progressively - i.e. it doesn't just suddenly hit you with gobs of power.

The other GT35R Evo I got a ride in was the AMS Evo ... race gas, 667whp ... it was beyond fast. The first time Martin hit the gas, I ... could ... not .... believe how hard the turbo hit. Honestly, it scared the friggin' **** outta me the first time around. That's also a big reason why I did not go with a gt35 for the time being. It's just too powerful on racegas ... much more car than I could handle at this point in time. However, the upside of the AMS kit is that if I ever get bored with the power of the 3071, I can simply swap in a gt35, retune, and I'm done.

l8r)

thanks for all your help man, you have always had a levelheaded aproach to turbos and im really glad you helped me out on my other post out there.

I think so far im leaning to the gt35r because race gas is avail all the time to me and when im drive around in town with 93 octane I should be able to get enough tune to make it liveable. However I still have lots of time to debate, comeing up with about 5 grand isnt that easy for me.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think 5 grand will cover it, unless you already have a good clutch. If not, a gt35r on racegas will nuke it in no time.

l8r)
Old Jun 8, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think 5 grand will cover it, unless you already have a good clutch. If not, a gt35r on racegas will nuke it in no time.

l8r)

exedy clutch cost me pretty penny. heh. yeah im up to the point of new injectors and AMS gt35r or vishnu stage 3
Old Jun 8, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

gt35 . It's just too powerful on racegas ...
l8r)
thats why you should get the gt35 turbo. dont be scared
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
thats why you should get the gt35 turbo. dont be scared
talking over with the wife we think the gt35r is the way to go.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EidolaDream
talking over with the wife we think the gt35r is the way to go.
let us know how it turns out
btw - if your wife drives your evo, fill it with 93 octane before she goes
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
let us know how it turns out
btw - if your wife drives your evo, fill it with 93 octane before she goes

heh, she hates driveing my car, but love rideing in it lol. my only worry is if it will be lame without the strocker kit.