Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My New Fire-Extinguisher Mount / Sub-Belt Bar

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New Fire-Extinguisher Mount / Sub-Belt Bar

Mike @ Sublime here in Omaha fabricated this fire-extinguisher mount / sub-belt bar for me yesterday. It's made out of 304 stainless steel. IMHO the fit and workmanship are top-notch. What do you guys think?

Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:09 AM

That looks really nice! Much better than my floppy sheet metal bracket. What did that baby run you if I may ask? It might be time to get something more sturdy.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice ....
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
It might be time to get something more sturdy.
It cost me materials and two hours labor. No doubt it will be cheaper the next time around using a jig. If there's interest, I'm sure Mike can put together a deal including mount and fire-extinguisher.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Hey man, fire extinguisher mount looks great, but I wouldn't run a sub strap on that bar. I worked for Schroth USA for a while, and without a properly cut substrap hole in the seat bottom, running a sub on the stock seats is extremely unsafe. The angle at which the belt comes down from the center of the belt (be it a camlock, Simpson-style latch, or whatnot), makes it unsafe for preventing lapbelt movement and submarining. For further information on this, email the belt expert, Joe Marko, at joe@hmsmotorsport.com, and ask him his recommendation and include a pic. He works with NASCAR pit crews, including Sadler, Gordon, etc., and his life is safety. It's well worth your time to contact him for his recommendation for this. I had the same issue in my Evo. My honest opinion...
Old Jun 7, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Really dig it. No plans of running a substrap. Price????
Old Jun 7, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike at Sublime is the F*CKING MAN!

Quite a seasoned Mullet hunter too.

Old Jun 8, 2005, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HMSevo8
I worked for Schroth USA for a while, and without a properly cut substrap hole in the seat bottom, running a sub on the stock seats is extremely unsafe.
Right on. Thanks for the Joe Marko referral. I'll get in contact with him. Running the sub-belt over instead of through the seat was a concern of mine. In fact, I was planning on visiting the upholsterers this Friday to see if they could punch a hole in my Recaros.

Originally Posted by HMSevo8
I had the same issue in my Evo.
What did you end up doing?
Old Jun 8, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

kilodave: contact Mike Murphy for pricing if you're interested. I paid $180, but that's because mine was a prototype. I expect duplicates would be less.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

hahaha nice i like it! thats exactly where i was thinkn of putting one when i get one hopefully soon.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Let's get a group buy going.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats really nice, I like the idea of the bar it attaches to. You don't have a ford focus or a dodge, so there really isn't a need for that fire extinguisher, unless someone has a focus or dodge and you decide to be nice and put the fire out for them.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedomodel
contact Mike Murphy for pricing if you're interested. I paid $180, but that's because mine was a prototype. I expect duplicates would be less.
I've been looking for something like this for a LONG time! My local PCA chapter insists on a fire extinguisher mounted metal-to-metal. If you guys get a group buy going, I'm in for sure.

Emre
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by speedomodel
Right on. Thanks for the Joe Marko referral. I'll get in contact with him. Running the sub-belt over instead of through the seat was a concern of mine. In fact, I was planning on visiting the upholsterers this Friday to see if they could punch a hole in my Recaros.

What did you end up doing?
Speedomodel - Joe is definitely the right man to speak with. Plus, they have great prices on Schroth belts and whatnot, and pretty sick color schemes to go nicely with the stock seat upholstery (black with blue shoulder pads, or the new silver color). I went to a fab shop and had them cut a hole in my seats, the install Cobra grommets (I think they are a plastic/rubber composite material or something) so that any sharp edges would not compromise the belt. I have seen WAY too many videos of either sled tests or actual crashes with improperly routed belts to want to chance anything. I am at work now, which is of course out of town, but I can try to post a pic or two hopefully by this weekend of my finished product.

On a side note, what a lot of places don't realize is the importance of the routing of the harness (no vendor I've experienced on these boards, which ROCKS!) but some places care so much about the sale that they sell 4, 5, or 6 point harnesses to people knowing full well they will not be safe in them. For example, the stock Konig seats on the VW R32 can't even have simple 4-point harnesses installed safely, because the headrest is integrated into the seat back, and there are no pre-cut grommets, or even head rest poles, to mount them through. Then, there's the whole issue of seatback strength, and whether or not it has been certified to handle the stress of an impact with harnesses. PM me if you have any specific questions about this - it was my life for some time...

Peace
Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

That looks way nice.

Quick Reply: My New Fire-Extinguisher Mount / Sub-Belt Bar