Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo owners, i need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo owners, i need your opinion

Well after months of searching for an evo. I finally found one.
I'm getting rid of my lancer and on to the EVO.

First things off... Is it legal to purchase and Evo in Europe and have it shipped here?

would there be any problems if i try and bring one over. Cause the guy selling me his used one has it in england. So, from my knowledge i know that the guages in speed over there run in Kilometers and not MPh like here,. Would that be a problem.

Just need some opinions, is it worth it?... I'm getting it for a very good price.

ASAP input!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

First, Us Will Not Let In The States. Simple, Emissions. Unless You Spend The Money To Legalize It To Us Standards, Which Is Alot Of Money The Car Will Never Make It Off The Boat. There Are So Many Issues With Bringing In A Car From Japan, England Etc, It Pathetic. Sorry Bro. My Buddy Owns A Skyline In Chi Town And The Bs He Dealt With Costed Him 20 Grand In Making The Car Legal.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO BULL You will probally be better off getting a USDM EVO and Seeing if the drivetrain can be Retro fitted. IT will cost you a hell of a lot less and also you dont have to wait the longest for a car.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Beware. There have been scams where people try to sell a used Evo that doesn't exist. If the price seems too good to be true, it is.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Ya. Not only does it have to meet emisions, it needs to have the speedometer and odometer converted to miles. It also needs new bumper supports for the 5mph bumpers and all the glass needs to be replaced with safety glass. This is all in addition to the things required to get it registerable and registered.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Get a USDM one. A UKDM or JDM one will be difficult/impossible to legalize...and if you do get it done; it would have been cheaper to get a USDM one. Save up and do it right.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

what are the differences exactly?..

is the whole drive-train different. I'm looking at this site and the wheel's on the back seem to be wider than the front.. i dunno, thanks for the input guys

check this out..

www.mitsubishi-evolution8.com
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
I'm getting rid of my lancer and on to the EVO.
good decision.
but buy it the us. it will save some headaches
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

too much headaches buying overseas. at least if you buy it here, you can get to see it first
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

why buy one from overseas? I mean if it was a make that isn't made in north america like a Skyline then it would be understandable, Now adays you can get a used evo for 20k or up. Just look around.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

UK = miles per hour btw...
Old Jun 9, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

uk models have all those fancy gadgets like active yaw controler, which usa evos dont. and over there they have 4 different models of mr's. you can import a brittish evo to the usa there was a link in here the other day that gave the web site for it. plus living in ny you should be able to find an import shop that can import cars. i live in sc and there is one about 20 mins from my work. so yeah it can be done
Old Jun 9, 2005, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

.......plus the steering wheel's on the RHS for UK and JDM cars.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

well this guy selling me the car supposedly lives in jersey from what i understand. The whole time i'm thinking the car is in the states since he's here. But then he tells me that the car is in london. I've done some research myself and they have evos that are RHS and LHS driving. So, i'm still inconclusive on what to do.

Trying to get some more information off of him along w/ specs and pcitures of the car.

I"ll keep you guys posted. He said he would pay for the shipping too... And proper documentation would be provided w/ the package for easy registering in the states.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
well this guy selling me the car supposedly lives in jersey from what i understand. The whole time i'm thinking the car is in the states since he's here. But then he tells me that the car is in london. I've done some research myself and they have evos that are RHS and LHS driving. So, i'm still inconclusive on what to do.

Trying to get some more information off of him along w/ specs and pcitures of the car.

I"ll keep you guys posted. He said he would pay for the shipping too... And proper documentation would be provided w/ the package for easy registering in the states.

Its a scam, stay away from it.