Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Headlights

I might get an Evo IX GSR to replace my 03 VIII but I want HID headlights. I don't want to to get the SSL package just to get HIDs because I don't need leather seats, sunroof and a better stereo. I'm definitely not getting an MR because it's too expensive, the six isn't all that important and it's heavier than a GSR.

I was thinking about buying USDM HID Evo VIII headlights and installing those but I can't seem to find them anywhere. All I can find are the JDM MR headlights. The JDM headlights aren't aimed properly for our LHD cars so they'll blind oncoming traffic including cops so I wouldn't want to do that.

What would be better is if USDM Evo IX MR headlights can be found but they aren't out yet.

Does anyone know where I can get USDM HID headlights
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SH*T! get the SSL Package and I will trade u your seats for mine with some cash!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

it would just be alot cheaper if you got the hid kit from www.Xenondepot.com looks just like factory and a fraction of the price.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aikido
it would just be alot cheaper if you got the hid kit from www.Xenondepot.com looks just like factory and a fraction of the price.
HOLY SH*T!! Thanks!!!

Do you have them installed on your car? Any pics would be great.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 04:27 PM

Men, www.hid-online.com try the 6000K kit and you will get superd quality better than stock. Two months installed, very pleased.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 04:35 PM

Whith a kit from xenon depot you will not get the cool purple cutoff that the true HID has and you will get glare since the projectors are not made for HID bulbs. The light output will also not be as good. The best thing to do is to either buy the projectors and ballasts and do it yourself which is a pain or buy the whole HID assembly.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

thats only if you get the 4k kit, if you get the 6k kit you will get the purple cutoff. You really don't know what your talking about.
Originally Posted by Evo8nut
Whith a kit from xenon depot you will not get the cool purple cutoff that the true HID has and you will get glare since the projectors are not made for HID bulbs. The light output will also not be as good. The best thing to do is to either buy the projectors and ballasts and do it yourself which is a pain or buy the whole HID assembly.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crazy_evo414
I might get an Evo IX GSR to replace my 03 VIII but I want HID headlights. I don't want to to get the SSL package just to get HIDs because I don't need leather seats, sunroof and a better stereo. I'm definitely not getting an MR because it's too expensive, the six isn't all that important and it's heavier than a GSR.

I was thinking about buying USDM HID Evo VIII headlights and installing those but I can't seem to find them anywhere. All I can find are the JDM MR headlights. The JDM headlights aren't aimed properly for our LHD cars so they'll blind oncoming traffic including cops so I wouldn't want to do that.

What would be better is if USDM Evo IX MR headlights can be found but they aren't out yet.

Does anyone know where I can get USDM HID headlights

If I where you I'd buy the regular IX GSR first. Swap out your headlights from the VIII to the IX. Then sell your VIII.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jovani
If I where you I'd buy the regular IX GSR first. Swap out your headlights from the VIII to the IX. Then sell your VIII.
Great IDEA!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
Great IDEA!

LOL
Old Jun 9, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8nut
True HID does not need to have the blue/purple hue The 03 Evo's HIDs are 4300K and there's NO blue/purple hue.

The color hues come from the temperature output of the bulbs. The higher the temp the more blue/purple you would get. Also the higher the temps, the dimmer the light ouput. So the blue/purple HIDS emit dimmer light compared to the white/yellow HIDs.

The only reason most Mercedes, BMWs, etc. have the blue/purple tint is their projectors. Their projectors are tinited to make the light blue/purple.

True HIDs have temp outputs starting at 3600 Kelvin and going up to 12000 Kelvin.

Last edited by crazy_evo414; Jun 9, 2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jovani
I thought about that but the guy I'm trying to sell the Evo to wants the HIDs............. I asked if it's ok if I swap out the HIDs for non-HIDs he said he wouldn't buy if I did. I really want to sell to this guy, he's willing to pay a little more than what I offered.

I'm also a little worried about using the HID conversion kits as they can cause glare becase the lense on the projectors wasn't meant for HID use. However, the conversion kits are very tempting and cost effective.

If I can get USDM HIDs, they'll be on the IX in a heart beat.

Last edited by crazy_evo414; Jun 9, 2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 03:58 PM

Wow, there are definately some badly misinformed people here. Tinted projectors lenses? Nice cutoff from non HID projectors?

Guys, please do some research and find out the true answers before you go and tell somebody that they don't know what they are talking about when they actually do. I have researched HID alot and have know alot about HID.

4 - 5,000k gives you the best light output and anything above that you start to loose lumens. An HID projector has a smaller reflector bowl behind the lens. Some are clearer than other but they are always clear. The pit and curve of the glass on a true HID projector determines how blue or yellow the light output is. Every single factory HID bulb is 4,100 - 4,3000k, and as you notice some are bluer than others.

If you want good info please go Here . There you can find all the true facts about HID. Please go there Aikido and get some truthfull answers and try not to litter this forum with misinformation.