Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer pros- Why is the evo 7 a better choice than a wrx or sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2002, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The STi is ugly.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

If the STis are so reliable, why arent they being used much in GrpN rallying? The car of choice in GrpN(the group that is most like a street car) is the Evo because of its reliability.

Those subaru guys think Mitsu cars suck because of the "poor reliability" of the old Eclipse. Well, those cars arent made in japan, are not meant for racing and Eclipse owners all turn up the boost and mod their cars like mad.

For racing, when everything is stock, the Evo is a very reliable car.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 12:54 AM

Need Explanation here...

Originally posted by RA29
If the STis are so reliable, why arent they being used much in GrpN rallying? The car of choice in GrpN(the group that is most like a street car) is the Evo because of its reliability.

Those subaru guys think Mitsu cars suck because of the "poor reliability" of the old Eclipse. Well, those cars arent made in japan, are not meant for racing and Eclipse owners all turn up the boost and mod their cars like mad.

For racing, when everything is stock, the Evo is a very reliable car.

Wait Wait.. can someome please explain to me what you mean here?

And what EXACTLY is the difference between the other eclipse motors and the evo motors? I'm not iunderstanding the differences.

Jay
Old Jan 24, 2002, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

"The only good thing about the boxer motor is the sound."

Ummm, how about inherently neutral handling characteristics? I'm really amazed at some of the things said on this board. I know it's EVO-land and all, but man, objectivity goes out the window when the comparisons start.

Last edited by danc; Jan 24, 2002 at 11:39 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

The eclipse motor is mounted differently from the current Evo motor. The eclipse motor is based on the Evo 1-3 and i would bet it is not engineered to sustain high power( i.e. no forged pistons, cooling etc).
Eclipses suffer from "crankwalk", whatever that is but the Evo 4-6 motors do not have this problem.

Boxer motor...
ok sounds nicer than the Mitsu engine.
Neutral handling characteristic. How effective is that actually in real life? The chassis, suspension setup makes a lot more difference than the design of the engine. It doesnt provide much of an advantage, if any. I would think that it is more marketing talk than actual fact.
But then again, i havent measured how much more neutral a boxer engine can be, as compared to the normal I-4 engines or rotary engines.
Maybe there might an advantage but it is probably so slight that it would not make much of a difference.

There are lots of awesome handling cars out there that do not have boxer engines, such as Mazda's RX-7 rotary engine, Skyline doesnt have a boxer, the BMW M3 has an I-6(?). They all handle awesome.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

I've driven both and all I can say is the Subaru (WRX 280hp JDM) is more civilised but no contest when it comes to handling. Like I said many times before, the Subaru is softer than the Evo. No more, no less...
Old Jan 24, 2002, 03:16 PM

Danc

Sorry, but stating that the Scooby STi has "inherently neutral handling characteristics" goes against all the comments made by anybody who has driven the car. It understeers like mad! This is not just Evo talk. For instance, Autocar, one of the most repected magazines in the UK, stated only last week -"Push too hard and it will understeer too strongly for our tastes".

Autocar also go on to say "the Impreza STi is not strictly an Evo 7 rival" and "there's not a road tester amongst us who'd not rather drive the extraordinary Mitsubishi".

They do say that for the type of car that it is, the Scooby is very good, but not an Evo rival. This report is typical of those published in the UK and I can confirm from personal experience that the Scooby is a very good fast sedan, while the Evo is a true performance car.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by danc
[BI know it's EVO-land and all, but man, objectivity goes out the window when the comparisons start. [/B]
I have to agree with you here. I'm 50/50 Evo/STi right now (based on anecdotes alone), and I'm all for an Evo owner backing up his car. But I don't see how anyone can be so blinded by their car that they refuse to see its shortcomings, whatever they may be. No one car is the be all and end all. It seems like they are both great cars. It's not like we are comparing them to Corvettes or something
Old Jan 24, 2002, 08:17 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think all the posts comparing the evo 6-7 to all the others cars be posted on one thread/topic to clear everything up that it is the hands down better car than the other cars it is being compared. not to sound like a commercial ad but posts wanting to know which is better keeps on coming from newbies who haven't even heard of the evo except in car magazines.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

snelson:

I didn't say the STi was more neutral-handling, I said a boxer motor is. And neutral in that context is different than implying lack of under/over-steer. It means no torque-steer. The boxer engine is symmetrical, therefore does not suffer, by design, issues with torque steer. Porsches have boxer engines.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 11:21 PM

A Porsche does not suffer from torque steer because the steering wheel have no power going through them!

Before going into a long ramble about this, I just want to confirm that what we call torque steer in the UK is the the behavior of the front wheel (steering) due to power (torque) being applied through them. Torque is torque, and is totally measuable at the wheels and a given torque form one engine cannot be diferentiated from the torque from another type of engine, because it is an absolute.
Old Jan 25, 2002, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

Long live King Beckham!
Until he moves to another club, that is...

Which footie star drives an Evo?
Old Jan 26, 2002, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

snelson:

Torque steer is stepping on the gas and having the car want to veer off in one direction, however subtly. Many FWD cars have this phenomenon. I'm not an expert on it, but I believe Subarus do not suffer from this because of AWD and their symmetrical driveline (which is made easier by having the boxer engine).

In case you don't know what a boxer (aka horizontally opposed) engine looks like, check out:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question366.htm

The advantages (beyond just the sound ), are:

Low center of gravity
More even weight distribution
Less noise and vibrations

Also check out:
http://www.bmw850csi.de/engines_e.html

Now as far as how much hp it can take vs. an inline, that's something I don't know, and an important question for anyone wanting to seriously mod their EVO or STi.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 01:35 AM

Our team has got both.
The GD STi is still converted to grp. N rally, but I've driven it when it was new. Now I drive an Evo 7 on street.
In my opinion the STi's suspension is a bit softer, but I like when it's bumpy. The Evo has more inner space, and nicer interieur. The Subaru's 6speed gearbox is better, but the Lancer has got ACD and AYC. Both cars are too heavy. The Evo feels a bit stronger, the Impreza has got much nicer sound. Styling? The Evo is nicer, but there is a Prodrive version of the STi...
Btw. it's a draw for me. I like both very-very much!

Quick Reply: Lancer pros- Why is the evo 7 a better choice than a wrx or sti?