Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer pros- Why is the evo 7 a better choice than a wrx or sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2002, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer pros- Why is the evo 7 a better choice than a wrx or sti?

I'm learning about both cars.. what can you tell me about them, the subaru and the mitsu? What is a better sports car.. as far as performance stock and modified? Which will be easier/cheaper to upgrade? Which is a better car as far as comfort, build quality, reliability are concerned... all thoughts will be appreciated. I'm talking about the US models. Thanks-Matt
Old Jan 16, 2002, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

First off, welcome.

In stock form, all critics agreed that the EVO is faster, with more grip to the road during cornering.

And given the potential of both car, EVO will also have a upper hand in mods. (at least you've heard of 600 hp EVO, but no 600 hp STi, right? ) In addition, due to the relatively understeer charateristic of the Scooby, handling will be the first area to improve....

Ride comfort? Both are very "raw" while the Scooby is more "comfortable" of the two, but still rough.

I can't comment on the two's reliability & quality since I have only driven the older EVO V & STi V3 in HK long time ago...not current version.
Old Jan 16, 2002, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Agree with all of the above, especially the reliability bit. I've never heard of a failed Evo engine unless it's been treated in a very stupid way. To add to that I've never heard of an engine failing cause it's been tuned too much. That either means that all the tuning to Evo engine is immaculate (which it isn't) or that engine is very sturdy. On the other hand I've heard about a lot of blown Subaru engines....
Old Jan 16, 2002, 10:20 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

My take on this is that the Evo is the performance/track inspired car, while the Suby is geared for everyday driving and more comfort. Having gone from a luxurious Integra GSR w/ leather to a Type-R, I'll take a track inspired car anyday. Also, the Evo's tranny is much stronger than the Subaru's.

Mark
Old Jan 16, 2002, 06:54 PM

thanks for all the input...it helps
Old Jan 17, 2002, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Well, as someone on the fence between the two cars (still waiting for the STi announcement), I feel the need to address a few statements made that may be misleading (or at least need further evidence to support their claims) to the original poster.

(1) "Also, the Evo's tranny is much stronger than the Subaru's. "

Based on what? The STi has a brand-new six-speed tranny. I seem to recall one person stating it was still weaker than the EVOs. But I've heard many, MANY people describe the six-speed as bulletproof. Please explain how you came to the above conclusion, as the six-speed is quite new and (I would think) relatively untested, one way or the other.

(2) "I have heard of a lot of Subaru problems, the Evo seems more reliable."

I really don't know if this statement is true or not, because I live in the US, where we've never seen either car offically released. However, the statistics for Mitsubishi vs. Subaru in the US, in general, reveal Subarus to be the more reliable car. Again, can't say whether the STi is more or less reliable than the EVO. I'd like to see some facts/strong reasoning to back this up as it goes against what I've heard though many other channels.

(3) "And given the potential of both car, EVO will also have a upper hand in mods."

Please explain. I'm not questioning it, just curoius how you arrived at that conclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I think the EVO is an awesome car from everything I've heard. But I also think the STi, and Subaru, deserve a fair shake, even on an EVO site.
Old Jan 17, 2002, 02:50 PM

You might want to take a look at this article too.

http://www.car-import-guide.com/feat...o_april_01.htm
Old Jan 17, 2002, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

the right question would be to ask which is better the EVO VII or the STi? WRX in another category.

--ryan
Old Jan 18, 2002, 09:04 AM

"danc",
The June/July issue of AUTOCAR did a test of the new STi and the EVO VII and pronounced that the EVO still had the sweeter tranny (yeah, I was shocked too!!). It also chose the EVO over the STi as the sweeter car.

Of course this is only one testers opinion - it'll be interesting to see what the others have to say - in the next few months every major car
magazine will test these two head to head keep your eyes peeled!

Personally, I think the EVO interior is really bad compared to the STi - I hope they work on that before they bring the car over - heck the first mods anyone should do is to replace the EVO interior witht he STi one!!

So from what I have seen:
Tiff Needle (Top Gear) - STi wins
AUTOCAR - EVO VII wins
CarImport - EVO VII wins

score stands at 2 - 11. EVO leading by a fog lamp!!
Old Jan 18, 2002, 09:21 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if you want nice interiors look somewhere else, like say a lexus IS300? but if you want a performance car, what's an interior got to do with it?
Old Jan 22, 2002, 12:04 AM

As soon as the Evolution hits the showroom floors of North America, there will literally be bolt-on packages to put them into the 10's. Whereas with the WRX, which has already been out for about a year, those same type of parts won't be available for quite a while. And by that time, as its name implies, the Evolution will only get faster.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 12:36 PM

Smile

The 4G63 motor has been around for awhile and is known to be reliable. Also, when it comes time to build your motor, a conventional inline 4 cylinder is easier and cheaper to work on than a boxer engine.

In the Best Motoring Evo7 debug video, the Evo7 bested the WRX Sti by 2 seconds on the gymkhana course with the same driver. They do a lot of comparisons in the video, and it is clear that the Evo7 is faster.

The Evolution 7 comes with a front mounted intercooler, and from my experience, that's the best place for the intercooler, especially when a bigger turbo is installed or boost pressure is increased on a stock turbo.

And the Evolution 7 is less expensive to boot!
Old Jan 23, 2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Michaelk
Agree with all of the above, especially the reliability bit. I've never heard of a failed Evo engine unless it's been treated in a very stupid way. To add to that I've never heard of an engine failing cause it's been tuned too much. That either means that all the tuning to Evo engine is immaculate (which it isn't) or that engine is very sturdy. On the other hand I've heard about a lot of blown Subaru engines....
That's odd. All the Subaru guys talk about the poor build quality and unreliability of the Mitsu. I don't know who to believe cuz I've never had access to an Evo or an STi. I will say this, my DSM was a POS and my Scooby RS was a solid car.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

I was lucky enough to test drive a WRX Sti V. Was the first time I drove a Subaru. I own a Tommi Makinen Edition so obviously I was comparing the performance with it.

WRX is a Very good car. Two things I liked most were the transmission and the sound of the engine. It was a stock car with no mods and I was pretty pleased with the performance, handling and ride comfort. But the Evos are faster and better (I've driven Evo IV, VI, VII). Maybe the Sti VI is on a different level but I have to wait till I get a chance to test drive one.

Quick Reply: Lancer pros- Why is the evo 7 a better choice than a wrx or sti?