Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question!! - A/C Issues!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question!! - A/C Issues!!

Ok, first Moderators - I don't know where this belongs so sorry if I posted in the wrong area.

I am having some issues with my Air Conditioning . . . . . yeah yeah I know its a luxary some of us need when its muggy and rainy in the midwest when I can't have the windows down. My issue is when I turn the A/C on the RPMs don't jump up at all, they actually going down a little bit. The car will bogg for a few seconds before slightly jumping back up. It ultimately will sit very low and the idle is very rough. It never dies on me but I fear that its going to.

Initial idle when car is cold - 1200-1400 rpms
Idle when car is warm NO A/C - 900 rpms
Idle when car is warm and A/C on - gets as low as 500rpm (when stopped)

Where I can start to look for my issues?? I don't know where to start. Here are my mods that would have anything to do with my electrical system.

Blitz SUS Power Filter
Blitz Turbo Timer = With Harness
Blitz SBC ID Boost Controller
Dynoflash'd - not Mail-in (Al took the car for about 4 pulls for me thanks Al)
Lineage Grounding Kit
Walbro Fuel Pump - edit
Helix O2 Housing
Helix Down Pipe
UR High Flow Cat
Blitz Nur Spec Cat Back Exhaust

The car runs fantastic with it off but for the few times I have it on I would like to see if I can kick the RPMs up a little higher so the car runs ok when I am stopped. All help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

DrBump

Last edited by DrBump471; Jun 12, 2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have an '03 and mine has always done this. It happens a lot in humid weather.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Cabo
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

I wish I could help you out but its definitely not normal. I have an 03 and with my A/C on it actually idles just a tad higher (around 800 when a/c off and about 900-1000 with it on)
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

me too, when come to a stop i will have to turn off the AC to prevent the eratic idling, then turn it back on when i reach cruising speed. anyone got a solution to this??
Old Jun 11, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

just started getting warm in chicago so I jsut started using the A/C and I also notice a similar situation. I don't really have much issues iddling but I do notice that when running the A/C I can tell it is robbing some power b/c the rpm's dont climb as fast as when it's off. Feels like I have to give it more gas when coming off a light so that it doesn't stall. I just figured it was normal so eighter give more gas or turn off a/c then turn back on later
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

wow . . . . not the only one with the issue!!

Anywho . . . . I did notice one thing tonight.

Today my issues were terrible (hot and humid around 85 or so) and less than a 1/4 of a tank of gas. Well I filled up today but had the windows down ever since. Driving to and from the bars it was raining again so I had the windows up and with 3 ladies in the car I needed the A/C back on. (Yah I know I was ballin!! ) The car didn't do anything weird. The idle stayed pretty constant and had very few issues at stop lights. Could this be only when I was low on gas?? Was the Walbro pulling too much current. . . . . I don't know just thinking out loud.

I will try it out tomorrow in the heat with more gas and see what happens.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the A/C cool the car OK ???
Old Jun 12, 2005, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

mine actually doesn't jump or go down @ all- first car that i have had that doesn't have this . maybe ac clutch is worn?, thats why driving hard w/ ac on isn't good, undue wear on clutch.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

The RPMs will stay more or less the same when the A/C on, but the ECU will advance timing 2-3 degrees to provide the power needed to keep idle stable. You'll also notice a 1-2 psi drop in vacuum while idling.

d
Old Jun 12, 2005, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Yea it does happen to most evos but with cams I would say I have cams and it happens to me with A/C only on random days. To be honest Al has tuned my friends car and it would do it without cams at all times sometimes without A/C it might just be the way he tunes the car and when he would start it, it would make a rumbling noise like its trying to find the right idle the thing would just act weird then I took him to TurboTrix and his car runs alot better im not saying AL tunes are bad for A/C just saying give TurboTrix a call and see if they can help = ) Best of luck I think its normal for cams so dont worry.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Value: Yeah the A/C worked just fine. Cooled the car off in a few minutes, did a fine job.

mrbkkt1: I don't know if I have ever driven the car hard with the A/C on. Its usually when people are in the car. But I will take the A/C clutch into consideration if it keeps happening.

Boston: I don't have cams (yet by end of month hopefully). Are you saying its better when you have cams or better when you don't have cams???

I am going to headout soon and see what happens today with the A/C. Will keep everyone posted.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

having cams is fine Im saying it wont make a difference if u have them or not. Im sayin it might be the tune try turbotrix if u want my car runs fine with cams just very rarely does it act up. Drive it for a month if it keeps doing it its the tune. I dont think harm could be caused BTW
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:11 AM

Yea I've always had the same issue too. But this used to kinda happen when i had a 300zx TT as well. Power gets robbed and its more sluggish from a start and stuff. However, recently I've noticed that it makes a odd noise as if something is loose. DOes anyone else's sound real loud. I figure I'll just have it looked at anyways.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:56 AM

I had a weird problem with A/C too. When I'm on the highway in 5th gear w/ the A/C on, it will bogg and the steering wheel vibrate when I step on the throttle. Not all the time but on long drives I noticed it like I'm in two gears too high or something.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

hrmm . . . interesting points by everyone!! Hopefully someone can fill us in on how to fix this.

I did find that I get similar results with just the fan running. I watch my volt meter just bounce around within .3 volts and then will drop hard to around 13.0 for a few seconds, then bounce back up to 13.9. This correlates exactly with what the RPMs are doing.

Don't know, the car never dies and there are stops that it doesn't do anything different. Interesting none the less. At least I'm not the only one

Keep the points coming and hopefully someone can fill us in!!!!

Quick Reply: Question!! - A/C Issues!!