Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Alpine install question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpine install question

I have an alpine cda 9835 headunit, I'm going to have a freind do it for me. Alpine has a wiring note that says:

"Wiring Note: While providing high power output, this unit can draw a substantial amount of current. Per Alpine, this receiver's constant power wire must be connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery in your vehicle, and 10-gauge wire must be used to make the connection. This requires a length of 10-gauge power cable, an in-line fuse holder with a 20- to 30-amp fuse and a ring terminal (the ring terminal is used to connect the cable to the battery clamp). Although all the pieces of a basic amplifier wiring kit will not be not needed, if you do not wish to assemble the required items separately, the power wire and in-line fuse holder from a basic 10-gauge kit can be used to connect the constant power wire to your vehicle's battery. For a secure, permanent connection, the 10-gauge cable must be soldered to this receiver's 16-gauge constant power wire."

Is this really needed? my freind is saying no, but I want to do things the best way possible. I'm not sure which other alpines say this needs to be done, but is there anyone that has done this, or hasn't done this and everything is fine?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I have a Clarion unit that said the same thing. I didnt bother wiring a new power wire. I even went down and asked a few installers at the local Tweeter. They said "if you want to do it right, run a seperate wire, but it really doesnt matter." I DONT have a seperate wire run and have had 0 problems. *knock on wood*
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:30 AM

It's not needed, I have the exact same haed unit. Your friend is right!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have the 9847 connected using the wiring adapter from FRY'S.Wire the Alpine to the adapter and it slides togehter.All speaker wires and power are color coded. The only problem I ran into was the lack of power to run the POLK/MOMO speakers so use a 4 channel amp.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

you don't need the wire and if you have Tweeter install it they don't run a new wire.......but i would run one if you are going to use the power amp in the head unit....I'm not so i didn't run a new wire