Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GSC Battery Tray // Catch Can Installation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2005, 01:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSC Battery Tray // Catch Can Installation

John took some time yesterday and fitted a small Odyssey battery and catch can into the stock battery location on our project evo8. He utilized part of the stock battery tray for the small odyssey battery to rest on and allow us to use the stock battery tray hardware for installation. He then mounted the catch can to the side hold down of the battery for a clean installation. No wire extensions needed to use the stock battery cables and very easy to connect the catch can to the necessary ports. Here are some pics of the setup - at this point in time we don't have immediate plans to market and sell a kit due to the modification needed to the stock battery tray for installation but are more than willing to perform this modification for local installations.

James@GSCMotorsports.com

Old Jun 15, 2005, 02:27 PM

DAMM! What a small battery
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

He used the stock battery tray to do that? I've wanted a smaller battery for a long time and I don't want to pay 300 bucks for a stupid tray.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sleet
He used the stock battery tray to do that? I've wanted a smaller battery for a long time and I don't want to pay 300 bucks for a stupid tray.
yes, it is a modified stock battery tray so it will bolt into the stock location
Old Jun 16, 2005, 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is there anyway you can do that, but not cut the tray so you can put a resovir there for alky injection in a 2005 car??? I want to put the bottle there right next to the battery.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:46 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
is there anyway you can do that, but not cut the tray so you can put a resovir there for alky injection in a 2005 car??? I want to put the bottle there right next to the battery.
that is a good question - i am sure there is a way but we haven't messed with it at all as of yet so we don't have any hard data to say yes or no regarding a setup such as that

if there is enough interest in it we can get another stock battery tray from mitsubishi and play around with it a bit to see what we can come up with.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:46 PM
CGs
Evolving Member

Very sweet! You guys seem to do nice work. So how long does a small battery last compaired to the stock battery anyway??
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CGs
Very sweet! You guys seem to do nice work. So how long does a small battery last compaired to the stock battery anyway??
there really shouldn't be any reasons in particular that the smaller battery will have a shorter life than a stock battery

oh yeah - and another thing i forgot to add, we also kept in mind that some racing sanctioning bodies have specific requirements for the battery hold downs and this will be completely legal in any form of racing you choose to partake in.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CGs
Stock wet cell batteries last an average of four years. Dry cell batteries like the Odyssey and Dyna-Batt last an average of seven years. The only problem is dry cell batteries lose their carge faster than wet cell when being stored, and the small batteries have a hard time cranking in cold weather. WestCo makes a nice Miata battery that is a nice alternative to the Odyssey and Dyna-Batt that has double the cold cranking amps.