Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

We have to buy a pit pass

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: We have to buy a pit pass

Here's the moe-or-less complete skinny on Pit Pass.

Each service includes;
Oil change with Mobil 1
Filter change with genuine Mitsubishi oil filter.
Tire rotation
Exterior wash and interior vacuum
27 Point Inspection;
Seatbelts, dash warning lights, clutch/start switch, horn, parking brake, headlights and fog lights, turn signals and running lights, brake lights, hazard warning lights, back-up lights, interior lights, front and rear wipers/blades, washer fluid reservoir, engine coolant, engine oil, transmission fluid, clutch fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, intercooler water sprayer, serpentine belts and hoses, air filter, battery, undercarriage and exhaust, wheels and tires (set PSI), brake linings, lines and fittings, CV boots.

MSRP is $497.73 for 7 services and $622.77 for 9 services but may vary from dealer to dealer. The number of services you can buy is timed to the recommended service intervals up to 3 years/36,000 miles which is when the Pit Pass expires. That translaes to every 5,000 miles/5 months for the "Stainless Steel" Pit Pass or every 3,750 miles/4 months for the "Carbon Fiber" Pit Pass - The service must be performed within 30 days or 1,000 miles of the schedule or that service is forfeited.

Pit Pass does not cover ALL of the recommended maintenance during the first 3 years/36k miles of ownership, just basic maintenance.

The cost of the Pit Pass can be rolled into the financing.

Last edited by Mark F; Feb 24, 2003 at 09:36 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

huh. Well, that is certainly cheaper than I think anyone could have guessed it would be. Thanks for the info Mark.

Roughly $70 a trip to the dealership.

SC
Old Feb 24, 2003, 09:52 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info Mark F. I'm not interested in basic maintance since I do most of that myself. My question to you is that, would the pit pass be valid for all dealership or only where you bought your car?

Don't trust anyone washing my car unless it's silver or white. Usually scratch the cars up with dirty mits and wax stripping soap. Only the best soap and the mothers polish/wax for my car after a wash However only water for the 2-3 months till the paint dries

Last edited by gtr; Feb 24, 2003 at 09:56 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by gtr
Thanks for the info Mark F. my question to you is that, would the pit pass be valid for all dealership or only where you bought your car?

Any participating Mitsubishi dealership. Does not have to be the same store you purchased the car from.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:49 AM

Re: Re: We have to buy a pit pass

Originally posted by Mark F
Here's the moe-or-less complete skinny on Pit Pass.

Each service includes;
Oil change with Mobil 1
Filter change with genuine Mitsubishi oil filter.
Tire rotation
Exterior wash and interior vacuum
27 Point Inspection;
Seatbelts, dash warning lights, clutch/start switch, horn, parking brake, headlights and fog lights, turn signals and running lights, brake lights, hazard warning lights, back-up lights, interior lights, front and rear wipers/blades, washer fluid reservoir, engine coolant, engine oil, transmission fluid, clutch fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, intercooler water sprayer, serpentine belts and hoses, air filter, battery, undercarriage and exhaust, wheels and tires (set PSI), brake linings, lines and fittings, CV boots.

MSRP is $497.73 for 7 services and $622.77 for 9 services but may vary from dealer to dealer. The number of services you can buy is timed to the recommended service intervals up to 3 years/36,000 miles which is when the Pit Pass expires. That translaes to every 5,000 miles/5 months for the "Stainless Steel" Pit Pass or every 3,750 miles/4 months for the "Carbon Fiber" Pit Pass - The service must be performed within 30 days or 1,000 miles of the schedule or that service is forfeited.

Pit Pass does not cover ALL of the recommended maintenance during the first 3 years/36k miles of ownership, just basic maintenance.

The cost of the Pit Pass can be rolled into the financing.
All the maintenance you can do it your self. and you can save all that money on something for the Evo. for $600 you can buy one good item.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Just heard from my dealer. Pit pass is optional however we have to watch a movie and take a 'test' prior to buying. funny stuff... however I understand that most people don't understand so mitsu does need to do something to protect their own intrests
Old Feb 24, 2003, 02:23 PM

I can help with this one. You are NOT required to buy the Pit Pass. It would be a good idea. 1) You want a Mitsu. Evo VIII certified tech working on your car. 2) It works out to be cheaper in the long run. 3.) You can roll the entire cost of either of the two plans into your payment.
4.) Piece of mind, somone that knows what they are doing will be taking care of your bad A** EVO!!
If anybody has any questions post em.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 02:48 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Evo 8 fan
[B 1) You want a Mitsu. Evo VIII certified tech working on your car. [/B]
Why? It's not that they have active diffs or anything special. I'm sure any Dodge certified tech during the 90's is capable of handling such task. Unless Mitsubish can prove to me it's more compicated than a dodge stealth or eagle talon they just want more $ going toward their rip off dealers.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

I can help with this one. You are NOT required to buy the Pit Pass. It would be a good idea. 1) You want a Mitsu. Evo VIII certified tech working on your car. 2) It works out to be cheaper in the long run. 3.) You can roll the entire cost of either of the two plans into your payment.
4.) Piece of mind, somone that knows what they are doing will be taking care of your bad A** EVO!!
You sell Mitsubishis?

The questions I would have in response to this would be;

1. Do you really need a Mitsu Cert Evo tech to change your cars oil?
2. do you really need a Mitsu Evo Tech to do common maintenance visual checks?

3. How is it cheaper in the long run to roll the cost of maintenance into the cost of a car loan? In essence, you will now be paying interest on your oil changes and tire rotations for the next 3 years. You would be paying to have services done that anyone could do on their own. Nothing is cheaper than doing the work yourself.

SC~ who's just wondering.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with this and actually like the idea of the pit pass, however keep in mind it is not for everyone. I own and race a fairly modded 95 Talon AWD, so this and everything else I have to deal with as a homeowner consumes a good part of my free time. I would welcome having someone else who knows the ins and outs of this car take care of the minor maintainance for once giving me just a little piece of mind.

YMMV
Old Feb 24, 2003, 03:49 PM

This may be a good option for the people who live in an apartment, for example. If you don't want to track down a friend with a garage every time you need your oil changed, you now have a way to get it done by someone who *hopefully* knows what they're doing. Besides, the cost of Mobil 1 is around $25 for an oil change, plus the $8 for the filter from the dealer. $10 for a tire rotation at a typical tire place. You add in a wash and vacuum, and you're almost up to $70. Who knows if they'll offer the pass for less than MSRP though. I for one, however, wouldn't spend my money on the pass. To each his own...
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I do know for sure....

I will never let a dealership wash my car. It's a job to them...and it shows in the quality of the job done and the materials used.

Change my oil, service my car....whatever....just don't wash it with your dirty shop towels and grey recycled water!

SC~
Old Feb 25, 2003, 01:57 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Reasonable price... but no thanks!

I hope anyone driving an Evo (or any car, really) checks their tire pressure more than once every 3500 miles. If not, stay the hell away from me. I check all my exterior lights frequently - usually once per week (just before going to the bar ). Most of the other stuff doesn't really save you money - since it'll be extra to fix/replace if the service tech finds a problem.

Oh well
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:18 PM

Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Secret Chimp
[B]

You sell Mitsubishis?

The questions I would have in response to this would be;

1. Do you really need a Mitsu Cert Evo tech to change your cars oil?
2. do you really need a Mitsu Evo Tech to do common maintenance visual checks?

3. How is it cheaper in the long run to roll the cost of maintenance into the cost of a car loan? In essence, you will now be paying interest on your oil changes and tire rotations for the next 3 years. You would be paying to have services done that anyone could do on their own. Nothing is cheaper than doing the work yourself.

Those are valid concerns. I supposo if you want to pick apart the program you can. However, I like the program. I would much rather have someone who is trained working on my car than just the "average tech" at Jiffy Lube. (no offense Jiffy Lube guys) I only let a few people work on my Vette, (stuff I do not feel comfortable doing) so I can appreciate your concern when it comes to who may be working on your vehicle.
Common maintenance checks could be done by any Mitsu. tech, however the EVO VIII is not just any car
You also have a valid point when it comes to doing the work yourself. However, like tons of us I am extremelty busy, I do not have time to rotate my tires. You can take your EVO to any store, and they can do the work for you. Just my two cents.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:19 PM

Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Secret Chimp
[B]

You sell Mitsubishis?

I do not sell them, however I have a vested interest in Mitsu.