Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what should i do: car situation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should i do: car situation

here is my situation, i want peoples opinions:

Right now I drive a 1997 Eagle Talon TSI AWD(not a bad car, i am 16 about to be 17). The car is paid off and I love it(even race it at the track), but the problem is, it's an automatic I do not want to spend the ~3 grand to get everything swapped over to a 5speed, because it's a waste of money in the long run. Anyways, I am trying to decide if I should get a new car or just keep what I have and continue saving. My financial situation is: I do not have any bills, dad pays insurance, i make roughly 600-800 a month. I have been looking at supras and vr4's to buy(with a loan of course--dad would co-sign), and I could afford it(dad will help me out **some** with payment and continue paying insurance). The biggest drawback to these is, for low-mid twenties i would be buying a ~10 year old car with near 100k miles. Supra is probably my all-time dream car, but for that kind of money I could get a new/newer NICE car('03 evo!, is300,etc.)

What I am asking you is your opinion on whether I should keep my car and continue saving or buy a new car out of:
supra(dream car)
vr4(close to my dream car, would be a little bit cheaper)
evo(fast newer car, this and the two above i would spend money modding)
is300(would have a lexus and doubtfully do any modding, then again knowing me i may)
^^in that order from top to bottom is my preference but who knows.

if you actually read that, i would appreciate your feedback even if it is just ramble.

edit: and if you have one of those cars for sale, let me know
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

well homie you only live once and if you could that then go for it
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

get a supra, i had one, loved it, now im getting another
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd throw the is300 and vr4 out of the mix just because they're crap. The is sux and you would modify it, and then be disappointed with the results. The vr4 is just crap, total ***-tastic crap, and you know why. All the problems of a dsm times 2 and half the goodness.

So that leaves two viable options, the supra and the evo. Both are so diametrically opposed it's silly too, so it should be an easy choice. You've just got to ask yourself if you want the hype of a supra and can afford the expense or if you want an evo which is by no means cheap initially and will continue to cost. Personally, I would (and did) take the evo, but that's me and I wouldn't have made the same choice if I didn't already have a project car (gsx).
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

if supra is your dream car get it.... but evos are HOTT
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

You should ask yourself what you really want.. a car for highway pulls or something for autox. Personally i think you can have more fun and stay out of trouble with the evo.. the supra is awesome performance machine buts its got trouble written all over it. Your telling me your not gonna wanna street race that thing?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:28 PM

i will probably wanna street race with any of them(minus the lexus), so that really isn't helping. as for highway/interstate/other high speed racing, scratch that. i would prefer to do most of my racing at the drag strip(10 min from my house). i dunno keep posting your inputs though people.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

TT Supras are AWESOME!! I too had one and if I could I would buy another in a heartbeat..
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Ohh and yeah, It Depends on what you will use it for..
1) Year-round vehicle= EVO
2)Summer Sexy car = TT Supra
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

get the supra.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

i sold my vr4 last summer... it was a 94, i liked the drive but it was no evo. i am gonna have to +1 on the supra or evo
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:04 PM
Former Vendor

buy a used evo.. buy a stock 03 for cheap or buy mine its on ebay..
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

why not just get another talon 5spd for the price of the conversion?? you can find a good condition talon 1g and just waste an evo with the mods you can do. granted that the evo is an awsome car-i have an 04 is300 and an 04 evo check my garage- ive modded both and i dont regret getting either. i had a 2g GST and it was modded with just about everything. if you can get an evo, get it. youll have more fun with it than you would the supra i think. the supra is an awesome car also, but that also requires you to learn another car all over again. with the evo, you already know the engine, trans, suspension, etc. because of the prior knowledge with your talon. parts are also cheaper for the evo to mod, unlike the supra which will typically require getting the turbo rebuilt or the engine rebuilt due to high miles. why not get a new car and not worry about it??

my .02
Old Jun 19, 2005, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would take the supra
Old Jun 19, 2005, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

yeah seriously gettin a lexus for the name isnt anything special. I got a Lexus rx300 no big deal. people are like thats your car im like yeah nothing special about it. I would rather get rid of my lexus and get a suv i can really take off roading. Go for either the supra or evo. Both cars might be beat to death. Both cars are high maintenance. My friend has a supra with 100K+ ad it is falling apart. Maybe becasue he beats it to death but just my opinion