Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo towing Uhual?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
if you want to tow your car will will need a trailer to put the evo on. dont use the one with one thw front wheels on the trailer, it is not good on the trans.
Not good on the trans! Let me tell you what happens if you use the two wheel dolly....YOU BLOW THE TC in about ten miles.

Believe me, I have the experience
Old Jun 20, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TRDHarrier
our car is AWD...please dont do it
What exactly do you mean by that?

Unanimous vote? I don't have much to move, just several boxes, and a computer system. But it won't all fit in the car for sure. So getting a huge Uhual to tow the Evo is not an economical idea. Maybe the 4' X 6' cubical trailer here:
http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plokivos
because it's not made to tow things.

you'll blow your motor.

There's a vid of that... damn forgot the name of it. Australia, fast white evo hauling that trailor and blowing the motor...

have to say, he was going 160mph....
Originally Posted by plokivos
i remembered.

it was Norris Design evo 7

blew the motor, carrying a small rv
ACTUALLY!!!! They blew the Window outta the trailer that he was pulling. Blew a window because of the air pressure at thoughs speeds.

I have pulled friends cars like 1-2 miles b4 nothing happened. That was done with some POWER cable that was laying on the street I just used the Tow truck tie down thing.

Also i never saw 30+mph.

Last edited by DCSilvrEvo; Jun 20, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

I made one to haul my bike..... I have seen people tow racetires with the same thing. link to my post it might work.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

My brother tows our waverunner with is Evo and it has done and is doing just fine. AWD has no difference on towing, you guys don't know what you are talking about. In the manual it says to not tow TRAILERS, which it depicts in a picture right beside as the travel trailers, like so many europeans and japanese like to haul around w/ them.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

how about shipping the stuff that won't fit in your car to your new address? I'm with everyone else on here that says don't tow anything with your car...
Old Jun 21, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adamt
Get a big uhaul and tow the evo behind with atachment
Like he said. If you like your car I wouldn't tow anything with it. I would try to get a small flat bed trailer to get the whole car onto though. My friend totaled his car, not an EVO, and I think he got the trailer he towed it on from U-haul. My memory is a little foggy though. In my opinion, the extra cost of renting that stuff would be worth not taking the risk of damaging anything on your car by towing something with it. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...=0&forumid=11#
Old Jun 21, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

so now I'm curious after reading this... what is the limiting factor that stops an evo from being able to tow? is the TC? if so why.... so far I just see a lot of unexplained answers.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:00 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just rent a pickup with built in tow attachment(I think the explorers and fords are) and also rent the car transporter from uhaul for less money and that will be better.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
What exactly do you mean by that?

Unanimous vote? I don't have much to move, just several boxes, and a computer system. But it won't all fit in the car for sure. So getting a huge Uhual to tow the Evo is not an economical idea. Maybe the 4' X 6' cubical trailer here:
http://www.uhaul.com/trailers/

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
See if you can repack your stuff in a way the will fit in your car. Why not try? Does all the stuff have to be in boxes, and do you need all of the stuff. I would take a real hard look at home much of it would fit and then decide which stuff I really wanted to bring. Have someone, a friend or relative, where you live now ship whatever boxes don't fit via UPS to your new place once you get there. Easy and probably cheapest way to go!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

everytime you tow a AWD it needs to be on a flat bed. anyone's AWD TC will break. Back wheels spinning at 80 front at 0 or vice versa. AWD SUVs and trucks tow stuff all the time, so it is not a matter of AWD. it is more economical to tow your car on a hitch though. 1000 extra miles on your car will decrease the value and life of your EVO, increase risk of breaking something, increase chances of a speeding tickets, get you closer to all types of oil and filter changes, brakes and tires will be worse. and it won't be fun worrying about your tranny for 15 hours while you are slowly going up to 65. plus have you ever gone 15 minutes without getting on our car a little. IMO it is worth the couple of hundred bucks you will spend on renting a SUV and trailer hitch to not worry about it. GL
Old Jun 21, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Alright, I guess I will leave more things behind to make it all fit in the car.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

I would hate to think how fast those trailer wheel bearings are spinning at 150.

Originally Posted by PoorBoys
I would say no as well. This is about the largest thing you can get away with:

Vishnu towed it for their One Lap of America last year.
http://www.vishnutuning.com/OneLap_Day1.htm
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't read the entire post, but here's what I can recommend.

1. Don't get uhaul, their stuff is old. Get Penske. Call and ask about their break down policy. Plus all their trucks are a certain date or newer, Uhaul doesn't do that.

2. You will need the auto transporter. (Get all 4 wheels off the ground.)

3. They will now tell you that you can't haul the evo, because it's too low to the ground. Tell them that you are hauling something else, and then use 4x4's or something to get it on the transporter.

I base these points on my move to Charlotte from Milwaukee... twice!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DizzyTT
and you can't get a trailer hitch from any uhaul for the evo, it's a custom made application, and there is a guy on here that makes them.

Hmm, link to info on this person?

Quick Reply: Evo towing Uhual?