Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo towing Uhual?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2005, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he's selling that hitch by the way.

for $250, dirt cheap.

anyway, awd, you'll strain your differentials and transfer case if you're hauling things.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i guess you can do what you want but i would not risk it
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what you guys are so worried about. As long as you aren't exceeding the car's weight limit for cargo it shouldn't matter if the weight is inside or behind the car. Yeah the manual says you can't tow anything, but I am pretty sure they mean heavy trailers. If you tow anything heavy with a turbo car, the extra weight is going to make your turbo & exhaust manifold glow bright orange and probably start to melt things you don't want melted. If you need to tow something, I would just make sure it's under the limit of the vehicle's capacity and take it slow & easy & let your turbo cool down before you turn off the engine. Don't do like my friend did in Germany: run at top speed in a turbo DSM for an hour, then pull off into a rest area & immediately shut off the engine. Chances are your turbo will seize up & you won't have a nice day.

The manual also says not to use snow chains, but I was smart about it & ran low clearance cables & my car did not explode. Warnings like that are just so you won't sue the company when you are doing something that obviously shouldn't be done. I would use your best judgement, and don't guess on the weight make sure it's well under the weight rating of the car, taking into account a little extra for the drag generated by the non-aerodynamic trailer (which shouldn't matter a whole lot as long as you are driving ~55mph) and the friction of dragging the extra tires. Oh yeah and make sure you put the ballast down on your HIDs so you don't blind people and make them swarm to your headlights like moths. Oh and yes your AWD system can be damaged by herky-jerky take-offs, braking, and extreme angles while backing up. Just be smart & everything should be ok. Be smooth.

Last edited by machron1; Jun 27, 2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Good Luck
Old Jun 28, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

maybe i missed it but did anyone mention just packing the evo all the way and then having an insured car transporter take it the 1000 miles? whenver we used to ship a car to fl. we would pack our suitecases and all kinds of stuff in the car and then have them come pick it up and bring it right to our door on one of those big transporters.. just an idea
mat
Old Jul 7, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

I've had a hitch on my car for almost 2yrs now. i have towed my bike to the beach three times. 220 miles one way. as long as you take off easy you will be fine. The car acts the same, if feels like nothing is back there. I love it!!!
Attached Thumbnails Evo towing Uhual?-carandbike.jpg  
Old Jul 7, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
he's selling that hitch by the way.

for $250, dirt cheap.

anyway, awd, you'll strain your differentials and transfer case if you're hauling things.
I can get a hitch just like mine made for $225 brand new!!! anyone need one let me know!!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Spend some extra money and tow the EVO. It's not worth saving a few hundred bucks to totally screw the evo.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:35 PM

tow it, but u-haul trailers are always out of balance forcing you to go like 65 mph or less

u-haul does this on purpose i think
Old May 28, 2006, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by wprettyboy
I've had a hitch on my car for almost 2yrs now. i have towed my bike to the beach three times. 220 miles one way. as long as you take off easy you will be fine. The car acts the same, if feels like nothing is back there. I love it!!!
Do you have any part numbers for the hitch setup you have? I'm looking to get an R1 or Ducati 749 soon, but I'm trying to not sacrifice the Evo... Instead I would like to use it as a tow vehicle some days. Towing with my 911 is out of the question...

I figure if a Audi A4 1.8T or Volvo S40 1.9T can tow a light boat, the Evo can definitely pull a 400 pound superbike... the only problem I can see is what was mentioned above... I'd have to take off slowly because there's no pulling power below 3k RPM...

Anyway, as mentioned, I'm looking for the hitch setup you have (or anyone else) so I can tow the bike to the track.

Thnx