Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Water pump or pulley troubles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water pump or pulley troubles

Anyone had any problems with their water pump, idler or balancer? My EVO has only 13K miles, but I am hearing a slight rattle from the drive belt/pulley side of engine that just started today on my way to work. Sound is barely noticeable once the car is running, but once I parked the car at work, I noticed a small leak of coolant on the ground back under the drive belt and pulley area of the passenger side of the car. I know the older Galant VR-4 had an issue with the pumps(I used to own one), but had not heard anything on the EVO. Car is parked for now, guess it goes back to Satan for a look-see. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues?
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:09 PM
Former Vendor

havent heard of that on our cars.. time for the old stealership.. hope you dont have an aftermarket shift knob, they will try to void the warrenty.. well in there minds a shifter and a water pump are connected..
Old Sep 7, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

ive got that exact rattle but havent as yet noticed any coolant leak. it's quite possible however!

When i get the car back I'll have a very good look, but I dont think I have any leaks and the dealership and others have already had a very good look. but i have the rattle. so far replaced timing belt tensioner. next im going to try and get both belts and the timing belt idler pulley replaced, and possibly the crank pulley. just to be on the safe side, i want this crap fixed. ill get them to check out the water pump too.

Trav
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the rattle also, I park the car in a garage and I have not seen any signs of a leak. when driving the you can not hear it but when its parked and idling you can hear a slight tick. there are some kind of wear marks no the pulley itself that match the ones on the belt. It is hard to tell if there is any play in the pulley itself or if it is just the marks making it appear so. 19k on the car
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:25 PM

ive got the rattle too. why dont you pressure test your coolant system first to make sure there is no loose coolant lines before you waste your time with the dealer.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

there's a TSB for the water pump on some models / years. Mine failed and was replaced under warranty (05 MR). I had coolant all over my oil filter area though.