Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsu ECU Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2003, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're WEIRD!!!!
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

I can think of worse things to sleep with, including some women out there. I'm only "kinda" wierd.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:23 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

It's gotta be a HKS or RalliArt ECU. I too have heard this from my dealer.

Mitsu is gonna need it too, since Prodrive will be offering performance packs for both the US WRX and WRX STi.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Let the battle begin....bring it on Subaslow
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:48 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wishful thinking, the reason for all the delay of the evoviii is they are changing the ecu of all the evo's so what we are actually going to get is not a 271hp but a 300+hp stock like the fq300
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

limey, i think you would have to worry more about the turbo wearing out fast than the rod bolts, i know someone that put a chip on a vw gti to increase the boost and he wore his turbo out at like 30 or 40k.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

The rod bolt suggestion was based on what tuners do in the UK at those power levels to maintain engine reliability...I am sure the 4G63 will be fine at 350 with stock bolts...but I was thinking like a manufacturer might who would need a bit more insurance on their warranty......I thought the main cause of turbo faliure was abuse...i.e premature shutdown, insufficient warming up time, untimely oil changes ect. not the amount of boost produced?
Old Feb 21, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

This would be nice, but I think it's a very optimistic HP number. I don't think maintaining 19psi up to 6500 would produce 350, though I suppose I could be wrong. Seems as though it would need some nice new plumbing all around to reach that figure. If based purely on a new ECU (without other mods) can the stock injectors even provide enough fuel to reach that number? I admittedly know very little about the 4g63's.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 08:37 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by ratboy128
limey, i think you would have to worry more about the turbo wearing out fast than the rod bolts, i know someone that put a chip on a vw gti to increase the boost and he wore his turbo out at like 30 or 40k.
Limey has a pretty good list of things that make a turbo die and I agree with him (again). Most tuners are concerned with turbo efficiency at higher boost pressures rather than wearing them out.

The single volute 16G starts losing efficiency when you get into the low 20's psi. I would be interested in seeing the effect on efficiency with the twin volute design. Is that new for EVO 8? Also, 350hp is where things start breakin on DSM's. Once you get into the low 12's clutches and transmissions break. Buy a scatter shield. Maybe the EVO 8 is indeed a new breed. But I doubt well see 350HP as a dealer warranted option. Love to be wrong.

Speedlimit.....
Old Feb 21, 2003, 08:45 PM
EvoM Guru

You know guys it may not just be a "chip" like we're assuming. There could be a cat back exhaust and an intake upgrade included, there maybe different levels to this thing
Old Feb 21, 2003, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yes it could be the same thing as the Extreme in England.......or even the very bad 450
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:21 AM

If this is an option, do you think it will be offered when the car first comes out......or in a while? oh, and by using a chip, how much of the car would taht void. The whole engine? same questions if anything was done to the exhaust?
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ratboy128
I would love to be able to get such good use out of the stock turbo to wear it out around 30-40K... besides, by that time I would already be looking to upgrade to a larger turbo!
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by SuperStar
If this is an option, do you think it will be offered when the car first comes out......or in a while? oh, and by using a chip, how much of the car would taht void. The whole engine? same questions if anything was done to the exhaust?
Manufacturers are basicly getting sick of not making money from the tuner market. So they are getting a lot more agressive in the options avaliable from the dealer. I have do some work for Dodge from time to time and they are offering TURBO upgrades for the SRT-4! through the dealership with warranty intact! It comes with fuel and ecu upgrades etc. They even are selling levels for "off road use only" and would void the warranty

The reasoning behind it is simple, think about what you would choose, Dealer installed factory approved part with warranty vs. "unknown, unproven" aftermarket manufacturer with no warranty. Because of this avantage they can charge more for the equilivant part and keep you coming back to the dealer.

Now I am not implying that this is exactly what is doing, but it is a growing trend

The exhaust would be no big deal at all as long as it keeps the cat in place.

The chip would also be fine as long as the car remains emmisions compliant and like Dodge maybe they will offer some "off road only stuff" as well.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

271 HP to 350 HP from an ECU upgrade....

Thats so redicilous its almost funny!

Quick Reply: Mitsu ECU Upgrade?