Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsu ECU Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsu ECU Upgrade?

I went and talked to the local Mitsu Dealer here in Eugene, Oregon (Emerald Mitsu). Talking to my sales dude, John .. he tells me he just got back from a Evo training session.

He asked me, "Did you know about the new chip thats coming out for it"?

I replied .. "well, Its thought you can get an ECU upgrade, but not sure who from .. are you talking about the ECU?"

He replies, "yes .. the ECU. They are going to come out with a chip upgrade that will push the HP to 350."

I replied, "is this a 3rd party chip or a Mitsu chip?"

He replies, "im pretty sure its a Mitsu chip, cause they (training people) were talking about how your warranty would still be good if you installed it."

My question is .. have ANY of you heard about an ECU upgrade from MITSUBISHI themselves? OR .. any of you guys that work for Mitsu .. you heard anything along these lines of a Mitsu chip upgrade? He's gonna get me some more information .. so hopefully I'll have a followup post. Your thoughts (not flames) are appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the chips you can get for VW's where it turns up the boost and fuel a bit. The more extreme chips need a new fuel pump to get the AF ratio right after upping the boost.

Hopefully it's true! If so, it will probably be 400 - 800 bucks especially if the dealer installs it.

Rob
Old Feb 21, 2003, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I had not heard anything about this, but from the size of the turbo that is on the EVO8, 350 should be more then just possible. The biggest question is what did do the the car to drop the boost at the top and slows down the HP increase so much?

If it is done inside the ECU, then another chip would be the one to give the extra power.

Would they give us a chip like that and keep our warranty? I seriously doubt!

Fedja
Old Feb 21, 2003, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

yes...I talked to the mitsu guy that does the walkarounds at the auto shows about the evo. I did ask him if he was just sales or with corporate. he said he was from corporate. What he said about that was....mitsu is going to endorse a 3rd party "chip" that would be covered under warranty. He said that the power would be around the vacinity of what you said....350 hp. He said that he was not sure if this was going to happen...but this was the rumor around the corporate office. Now how much of that I believe I don't know. But now hearing it again from somelse gives it a bit more validity. We'll have to wait and see. I could see mitsu doing this just to up one on subaru.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:03 PM

i guess we all have to respect DIGDAT what he was told...you never know it can be true...how sweet i is if it were to be true...watch out sti....
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Ralliart does offer an ECU upgrade so I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps that's the unit they're talking about. If they're bringing something dubbed Ralliart Lancer, don't be shocked when you see Ralliart upgrades.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

isn't it already pushing 19psi?
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by pjal84
Ralliart does offer an ECU upgrade so I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps that's the unit they're talking about. If they're bringing something dubbed Ralliart Lancer, don't be shocked when you see Ralliart upgrades.
your right...most likely what mitsu has been talking about ralliart coming t the states...put two and two together...good job pjal84...
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by uranium9v
Power out of many a turbo car can be made without pumping up the boost...the car may be running rich from the factory, hence leaning it out a bit may bump up the power...as well as a bit more aggressive timing...

If this is ECU news is true...I will be a very happy camper...

Ryan
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by uranium9v
Only at 3500 rpm...at 6500 it's down to 16. Just keeping it 19 all the way through will make a big difference for peak hp...if properly tuned and no other restrications of course
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

doesnt that seem like a lot of hp 2 gain just from a ecu with out other mods?
Old Feb 21, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Japan parts offer an alternative ECU that they call for "domestic market rally" so I think they will offer a power upgrade with warranty....but I know it won't be to 350hp.....I suspect it would be more like 310-315 with a waranty....at 350hp you would need to upgrade rod bolts for reliability and I am sure the factory would not wan't dealers involved in that mess
Old Feb 21, 2003, 04:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i had posted this a while back, the rumor at least, Ed Ziadin at Gillman Mitsubishi of Rosenburg, a part of Houston, Texas, called me the day after Christmas after a guy who he said was from corporate had a meeting with all of their staff to give them the preliminary info on the car, said the guy was claiming that a chip would be offered that would bring the evo up to 350 hp and still be covered under warranty, it was a while back and we really didn't know jack about the car so i just think a lot of people thought i was talking out my ***, regardless, i do agree that 350 from a remapped ecu or chip, whatever it may be, sounds nice but i'm not too sure about it, if it does come out i'll purchase one and keep my warranty, that is the cool thing about it in my opinion.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 04:47 PM
In Timeout

Hmmm. I want one.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

I'll take two. One to sleep with at night and one for the car of course.

Quick Reply: Mitsu ECU Upgrade?