Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it illegal for to cap dealers' prices, just curious?
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, that's a very long and well written letter
Please keep us updated if you get a reply from Mitsubishi.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Guys, I am hearing and seeing alot of good things.

Let your voice be known by your pocket book! Don't even waste a minute on gouging dealers.

Don't hesitate to send letters of complaint to corporate or make phone calls.

In the end, being patient will pay off, and as was mentioned before... a $100 plane ticket and a nice drive back home could be just what the doctor ordered!
Old Feb 22, 2003, 04:28 AM

not sure about this but didnt nissan say to dealers that if they sold the 350z over msrp they would be punished in some way, not sure if im right but its just something i think i remember hearing.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DaBMan
not sure about this but didnt nissan say to dealers that if they sold the 350z over msrp they would be punished in some way, not sure if im right but its just something i think i remember hearing.
Urban legend.

I sell Nissan's too. All they did was "encourage" dealers not to add ADM's (please, pretty please) but there is nothing a manufacturer can do about it. Retailers set prices which are in turn dictated by the market. If times are slow and there's plenty of inventory, cars go cheap. If a car is in limited supply and hot demand with waiting lists and all the rest of it, they go for a premium.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the WRX was a hot when it was first released and I pre-ordered mine. Got it for the sticker, plus the options that "I" ordered... No more.. That's whatcha gotta do with the EVO....
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

If your that intent on getting a Evo at a good cost, why dont you apply at a Mitsubishi dealership for a part time job work for 1-2 months, get the car at invoice or a little more and quit.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:30 AM

I dont understand like every other word in the letter but it sounds good to me.....
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jonasan50
Well, the WRX was a hot when it was first released and I pre-ordered mine. Got it for the sticker, plus the options that "I" ordered... No more.. That's whatcha gotta do with the EVO....
I also got the WRX the week it was released and paid a fair MSRP and I did my financing through the dealer - - it was very upsetting to see that there were guys geting the cars at $500.00 and $1,000.00 over DEALER invoice a couple of weeks later (that extra $$$ I could have saved shopping around and waiting a few more weeks would have been better spent on mods and dyno time than making some millionaire dealer's retirement portfolio even fatter)

Within 2 months they had WRX's sitting all over the place

As someone who lived through the whole hype thing with the WRX - - I relaize you just have to keep your head and stay calm and rational - - this car is going to be very costly on insurance which will turn off a lot of buyers and a lot of buyers need something in an automatic for thier wife to drive - - - also with the STI comming out - the RX8 and the 350 Z and others already here the market place is going to be a bit tight

We are on the verege of WAR - the economy sucks and unemployment is at record highs - - the timing is not exactly right to be dragging consumers through the mud

In this case - I say DON'T just go along with this practice - a lot of guys are posting here that basically - "this is the way it is" etc . WELL it doesn't have to be that way if WE refuse to pay the inflated prices - - I don't know what - if anything is going to do about this - (probably nothing) - but if only 10 or 20 guys here refuse to pay over MSRP - no matter what - even if it means not getting the car for a few more weeks or taking a plane ride to pick it up - - well that may help drive down the demand enough to help the situtation

My advice to anyone trying to buy one of these - - print out the threads on this board about the dealers who are charging MSRP and take that to your dealer - tell them you won't be taken advantage of - tell them you are local and will do business with them again in the future - - if that doesn't presuade them - well then just walk elsewhere and wait till they are giving the car away at cost sometime in August

Those who just can't accept the feeling of beeing cheated and held up in this manner will not let it happen just like me - - not becuase the $$$ matters that much - its just the principles of fairness and respect
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DiscoZ
I'd like to know also??????
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

First of all, MRSP means just that, suggested manufactorers retail price. They can sell higher or lower. Heres the point of my post. DOes anyone want a blue Evo 8 with or without a sunroof. I was told I have dibs on one of two blue Evos coming in to Max Madson Mitsu in Chicago, but at this point I have no money to buy it. So I figure I would notify my fellow board members. Oh yea, by they way, they are charing sticker price. Just something to think about, pm if your interested....
Old Feb 22, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Well to speak from another perspective. Think about this. Most dealers have to pay some type of interest on their floor plan. Interest on 29k is not cheap. Every day that the car sits on the lot, including while it is in transit from the manufacturer, they pay interest. Mark ups are not what they used to be. We have not gottent the invoice on our first EVOIII to verifythe dealer profit, but it is usually not that much. I guess I dont have to sweat it too much, I have been alotted a car and I get mine at cost. I guess thats the greats of working at . Even if I didnt work at , I feel they should have the right to charge what they want to. If you dont want to buy it, dont! Quit complaining and shop around. Just as said before, supply and demand. does not expect everyone to buy the evo, otherwise they would have produced these in the same numbers as the eclipse. Admire the car as something nice to have that not everyone has, and accept that it costs more to buy, and remember, this is not a cheap car to maintain. No more winers!!!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by DiscoZ
Actually it's not illegal. Lexus, Subaru, and a number of others have done it. It's more like a manufacturer's "guideline" or "gentlemen's agreement" with its dealers more than "forcing" them. Basically if the dealer doesn't comply, their allocations are "adjusted", meaing less or even no cars for them.

Good letter! Send it in with the specific experiences too. I would venture to bet you will get a response!

Old Feb 22, 2003, 03:47 PM

On the matter of people willing to walk if charged over MSRP, see this thread...other good info too. I suspect most of the people that voted not to walk (a whole eight of them) are probably mostly the sales people on these forums.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=13894

Here's some excerpts from some of my posts from that thread as an FYI.....

When the Subaru WRX came out....they planned to only make and sell 10,000 units and ended up selling over 18,000 if that tells you anything!

The initial production numbers I have seen mentioned for the EVO in a couple of different sources are 6000-6500. I know to take what magazines say with a grain of salt (sometimes a whole container ), but given the above, and apparent market strategies, it would make perfect sense for them to make as many as they can sell.

Besides, just because one plant has a certain "nominal" production capacity doesn't mean that they can't ramp it up or have another plant take up the slack.

Bottom Line....EVERYONE that wants one will get one at a fair price, it's just a matter of time!

There is entirely too much well designed and potent competition here and coming (RX-8, STi, G35, etc.) in the next few months for dealers to play the waiting game hoping to sell every allocation with rediculous markups. If they don't price the EVO reasonably NOW....in a few months it's going to be a lot tougher to sell them! Maybe that's why they want monster profits up front??? Hmmmm....I wonder....

Last edited by Dtech; Feb 22, 2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Dtech

Actually it's not illegal. Lexus, Subaru, and a number of others have done it. It's more like a manufacturer's "guideline" or "gentlemen's agreement" with its dealers more than "forcing" them. Basically if the dealer doesn't comply, their allocations are "adjusted", meaing less or even no cars for them.

Actually it is. It's called price fixing. Not shure how Saturn gets away with it. This doesn't just concern cars but any product. A manufacturer can have a recommended retail price, but retailers are free to charge whatever the market will bare.

Quick Reply: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging