Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2003, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Vtec1
MARK F well said

That's exactly what i was trying to do is make a liitle money on the side , but people started to get all *****y about it. Who on this board wouldn't want to make $5,000 dollars. Point proven it takes money to make money and i know for a fact that if any of u had the oppertunity to make money u would jump on it no questions asked. So why do all u people criticize me about marking up my evo for ,$5,000 over. Hell just for u people i'll mark up $2,500 for any color and option u want that sound fair.
I don't think anyone is trying to criticize you on this. Its more of that most of the people on this website are intelligent enough to know how to purchase a car without getting hassled. Such as the normal day idiot person that seems to have cash falling from every pore. Remember your trying to sell a car for the same amount a dealer is, why would a person purchase a car the is intetionally "used". Not saying you joyrided it but just saying that if you are looking for idiots on this website to fall for a "good deal" you find less than if you dropped your cars on sale on autotrader.com. By the way it seems to be that the delay in shipment has caused dealerships to get their allotments larger and closer together. I know most of the cali dealerships have extras with no name and currently selling for same or cheaper price. Although I do have to give it thier are dealerships.. *cough*.. Thousand Oaks Mitsubishi that is putting 10k markup... So you have them beat in price.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Speedlimit

Hi,

Because.... with the exception of the Recaro front seats, the interior is an $18,000 Lancer without cruise control. Plus it is NOT a beamer or Porshe. Of course I could be wrong.

Speedlimit.....
Well said Speed! You beat me to it..... They must have not read my post about pricing the car out of its target market.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Speedlimit

Hi,

Because.... with the exception of the Recaro front seats, the interior is an $18,000 Lancer without cruise control. Plus it is NOT a beamer or Porshe. Of course I could be wrong.

Speedlimit.....
Thats a very good point - - one that I was thinking about - these are basically very cheap cars with a nice engine and suspension thrown in - To take a $18 K lancer and then pay mid 30 K for it when thinks its worth about 29 k is just insane

Finally - these are car people's cars - not get into girl's pants cars like the M3 - its not a social staus symbol type of experience to have one of these - I doubt if this car is going to appeal to the same audience as a M3 does - - they will NOT think they are just saving $$ by getting a dolled up / fast as hell cheap 4 door jap car
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:35 PM

I understand ones anger at having to pay higher than MSRP for a car that you want but that is the way that the system works. If you don't like the sales practices of the dealer, go find another. Or better yet, find another car. Don't Fall In Love.

This sort of thing happens all too often. A new item comes out and some people go nuts. They lose perspective and rational thought goes right out the window. I'm old enough to recall the lines of people trying to get Cabbage Patch Dolls. People were fighting over a stupid doll! Guys, the EVO is just a stupid car! Yea, I know its fast and its cool but its a car, not life everlasting. If you have your heart set on being the first on your block to have one, then don't blame the dealers for your lack of patience. This is truly a case where you will be taken advantage of only if you allow it.

I kind of think that the EVO sales may not be a strong as some think. Yes, the first 1,000 will go quickly but what about the next 5,000. Remember that the WRX has fine performance at a much lower price and the STI is just around the corner. If the numbers are correct, it will be the performance car to have for just a couple thousand more. There are also the new Mustangs, the Mazda R8, Z350, and other potentialy cool cars coming out in the next 12 months. I think those that pay way over the MSRP are going to feel very foolish within 9 months and they will only have themselves to blame.

Remember the cardinal advice when buying a car - Don't Fall In Love. If you do, the dealer has you by the short hairs.

To the Dealers : Despite the above comments, any dealer that adds on excessive items just to pad their profit has only themselves to blame if local customer take there business elsewhere.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Amen Putter

I am not so sure about the STI being the car to get - - I am just unloading all my JDM STI conversion stuff including 6 spd and engine - its good - but nothing spools up like a DSM - - I just cant take those upipes and downpipes any more - such lag !

As for the after sale let down - - think how these guys will feel next year when an even nicer evo version is released? They always leave room for upgrades in future years

My dealer was appologetic when he had to sell me my WRX at msrp - - - a few weeks later I would have saved $1,500

I just looked on ebay - NO evos are moving over there - - the war with iraq should be just staring when these cars hit out shores - with the price of gas shooting well over 2.00 per gallon - - its just not the right time to be sticking it to the little guys
Old Feb 25, 2003, 08:22 AM

Well....

Not only am i going to wait them out. I am also going to play them against the competition.

DON'T BE THE SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE!!!

I will not only tell dealers i am looking at the Evo but also the RX-8, the 350Z, the G35 the WRX STi and the like.

If you go in there geeking all out and slobbering over the Evo then you are going to get TAKEN. Play this like you play poker or chess people. Have a strategy, exercise patience and use the supply and demand system against the dealers.

Even if you aren't interested in the competition.... the dealers don't know that!
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Vtec1
MARK F well said

That's exactly what i was trying to do is make a liitle money on the side , but people started to get all *****y about it. Who on this board wouldn't want to make $5,000 dollars. Point proven it takes money to make money and i know for a fact that if any of u had the oppertunity to make money u would jump on it no questions asked. So why do all u people criticize me about marking up my evo for ,$5,000 over. Hell just for u people i'll mark up $2,500 for any color and option u want that sound fair.
Well im trying to save some money, I care about myself making $5,000, I dont want you making $5,000 of my hard earned money, frankly you think you got every consumer out there by the nuts who wants an Evo because "I have an Evo and you want this car because your emotionally charged to it, so I can charge anything I want", well yah some people are like that but of the other buyer, well, your really underestimating them.

When they say MSRP, thats what the car is worth, do you want to buy something that is over valued? Of course not, none of us do. Considering the way the economy is now, your probably not going to see much car buying (especially on your markup) so thats why you work out under MSRP prices to work with what people have in the saddened economy.

It seems like most of the Mitsubishi carsalesman ***** about how the message board/consumer is making it so difficult for you to markup on your Evo's because you can't pocket an extra $5,000, Personally I want you to make the least amount of money, because I really dont give a damn about you since you have such a bad atitude.

But hell just for you, ill make an offer to buy an Evo off of you for $250 under invoice for any color and options I want, that sounds fair.

Last edited by tryandcatchme; Feb 25, 2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:55 AM

paying above list

listen guys and girls.....the dealer has the right to sell their product for whatever is fair market at that time. If the dealer feels the market for the evo, sti, or whatever car for that matter is new and the next hot thing, believe me they are gonna try and take advantage of every prospect, as much as i hate saying that....... I work at a dealership as a salesmanager for chevy, the new ss silverado, ssr and 50th vett are out or coming out and its msrp. or above.... Im in the same boat as most of you in that i love the imports and its between an sti and evo.....the difference is im gonna have to wait cause just like the rest of you ill be damned to pay above msrp. To each his own, if you have to be the first on the block with the new ride, be prepared, you may have to pay to get it....
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:27 PM

exactly..... wait until they build 30,000 of theses evos, and you will get it for below msrp. SCC SAID IT ISNT A LIMITED PRODUCTION AND MITS. WILL BUILD AS MANY AS THEY CAN SELL. TOO BAD FOR THE PEOPLE WHO GOT THEM AT OR ABOVE MSRP, BECAUSE THEY WILL TANK IN RESALE VALUE, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE.
WEIRD THING IS IN MY AREA (MIDWEST) ONE DEALER STILL HAS A YELLOW ONE FOR SALE AT MSRP????
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Re: paying above list

Originally posted by ducatiwheelie
the dealer has the right to sell their product for whatever is fair market at that time
The consumer has the right to work out a deal with the salesman/dealership, or if not walk out, and take there business elsewhere.

Salespeople depend on the consumer they are the deciding factor if the salesperson can pay there morgage or rent.

Say you worked for a Mitsubishi dealership, you just got 4 Evo's all with a $3,000 markup, if somebody make you an offer to buy that car TODAY for MSRP, im pretty sure you would probably take it, hey why not its a sale and money right then and there. You or anybody else can predict the future on wheather or not somebody else is going to come in and willing to pay the marked up price.

Last edited by tryandcatchme; Feb 25, 2003 at 12:55 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silvrvr6
exactly..... wait until they build 30,000 of theses evos, and you will get it for below msrp. SCC SAID IT ISNT A LIMITED PRODUCTION AND MITS. WILL BUILD AS MANY AS THEY CAN SELL. TOO BAD FOR THE PEOPLE WHO GOT THEM AT OR ABOVE MSRP, BECAUSE THEY WILL TANK IN RESALE VALUE, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE.
WEIRD THING IS IN MY AREA (MIDWEST) ONE DEALER STILL HAS A YELLOW ONE FOR SALE AT MSRP????
I got my SCC mag yesterday also - nice review on the EVO VIII - and isn't it sounding more and MORE like the WRX situation now that we are hearing that is going to build all the Evo's they can sell - - just like suby did - - there ares are NOT hand made like a AMG or NSX - they are factory made - there is no compelling reason why they can't just add another 5 - 10 K cars at the end of the year

I don't truist these dealers who are saying they will only be be getting X number of evos - - i trust SCC - they have no reason to lie - AND - i am using my brain - its a mass produced car - they can always build more
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:17 PM

There's no end to this debate on pricing...
If you want to be the first to roll on an Evo.. Pay or shut up!
Otherwise, be patient and wait for the price to level to MSRP or even below MSRP. For what it's worth, I went to my local Nissan dealer last week to test drive the 350Z. There were 7 Z's in the lot. The sales manager was willing to work below MSRP to get me to drive away one of the seven. Get the point!?
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
I got my SCC mag yesterday also - nice review on the EVO VIII - and isn't it sounding more and MORE like the WRX situation now that we are hearing that is going to build all the Evo's they can sell - - just like suby did - -
Mitsubishi can't build all the Evo's it can sell. For one thing, it takes 28 hours to build each rear spoiler - much longer than it takes to build the rest of the car. They have a maximum capacity of 5,000 units/year for the U.S. market. This year, we get 4,600 and EVERY dealer has been told what their maximum allocation will be.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Mark F

Mitsubishi can't build all the Evo's it can sell. For one thing, it takes 28 hours to build each rear spoiler - much longer than it takes to build the rest of the car. They have a maximum capacity of 5,000 units/year for the U.S. market. This year, we get 4,600 and EVERY dealer has been told what their maximum allocation will be.
Well, as previously mentioned Mark, the same thing initially happened with the WRX (from 10,000 to over 18,000 units sold, over 80% more!) and other cars as well. I guess at this point we have to wait and see about the EVO, but Mitsubishi would be foolish not to make as many as they can sell. Again, plant production is based on a "nominal" throughput which can be raised if necessary and I suspect the wing has been outsourced to a vendor capable of meeting a change in production numbers if called for. Besides, some of them will come with the smaller wing anyway.

If they see that regular Lancers are just sitting on the lots or not reaching the sales numbers they were projecting, then it would make both financial and business sense to alter the production level of the EVO to take up the slack. Regardless, I would put money on the fact that they will end up selling more than 5000 units this year. Several sources have already reported the projected production number as 6000-6500 and I suspect it will go up somewhat from there.

"Holding on to my green until deals on their machines!"
Old Feb 25, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Mark F

28 hours? are you sure, if IRC a few years ago i read mercedes took aobut 72 man hours to build an entire S-class sedan, proably more like it takes you the consumer 28 hours of work to earn the money they charge for the rear spoiler

Quick Reply: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging