Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mark F

Mitsubishi can't build all the Evo's it can sell. For one thing, it takes 28 hours to build each rear spoiler - much longer than it takes to build the rest of the car. They have a maximum capacity of 5,000 units/year for the U.S. market. This year, we get 4,600 and EVERY dealer has been told what their maximum allocation will be.
It does take approx 26-32 hours for Carbon Graphite cloth to cure after resin has been applied.

They will probably make one batch of 50 wings every 28 hours (applying resin, laying CG cloth and cure time), its not like they have only one mold to make one spoiler every 28 hours, if so, id fire that project manager.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tryandcatchme

if so, id fire that project manager.
So would I!!!!
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe we will get real lucky and they will start selling the EVO VIII without that dreaded wing - there are some old school fast drivers like myself who like these kind of cars to look stealth
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
maybe we will get real lucky and they will start selling the EVO VIII without that dreaded wing - there are some old school fast drivers like myself who like these kind of cars to look stealth
I know what you mean about staying under the radar, BUT you could always take your wing off yourself... I did that on my 2G DSM, put the non-turbo RS 14" rims on it and everyone that it was a non-turbo POS... off course the FMIC was hard to hide!
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

And the dual tailpipes
Old Feb 25, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

It does take approx 26-32 hours for Carbon Graphite cloth to cure after resin has been applied.

They will probably make one batch of 50 wings every 28 hours (applying resin, laying CG cloth and cure time), its not like they have only one mold to make one spoiler every 28 hours, if so, id fire that project manager.
At what point did I say they make them one at a time??????? But at that kind of production rate, nobody is going to crank them out by the tens of thousands.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

At what point did I say they make them one at a time??????? But at that kind of production rate, nobody is going to crank them out by the tens of thousands.
By the middle or end of the production year they could prob have three different suppliers pumping out those wings like crazy and hopefully - maybe even the wingless models I want also
Old Feb 26, 2003, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

At what point did I say they make them one at a time???????
When I say 50 wings every 28 hours thats just an example, its probably going to be lower batch #'s.

The way you put it, it sounds like theres only one guy laying Carbon Graphite cloth for the bookshelf wings.

Im assuming they are hand laid if your paying $1200 for a wing right?

Last edited by tryandcatchme; Feb 26, 2003 at 06:08 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

When I say 50 wings every 28 hours thats just an example, its probably going to be lower batch #'s.

The way you put it, it sounds like theres only one guy laying Carbon Graphite cloth for the bookshelf wings.

This is getting retarded.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Turboniam

I know what you mean about staying under the radar, BUT you could always take your wing off yourself... I did that on my 2G DSM, put the non-turbo RS 14" rims on it and everyone that it was a non-turbo POS... off course the FMIC was hard to hide!
Thats always an option - but I imagine i could save a lot of $$$ if they suppiled it with no wings at all
Old Feb 26, 2003, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Just my .02...

Dealers have the option of charging a lot over MSRP...

Also understand that everything is a risk, and some dealers around here will never get my business for that above reason. Charge over MSRP, but understand that some people will not do business with you (ever) because of the practices you employed. C'est la vie.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by atlvalet
Just my .02...

Dealers have the option of charging a lot over MSRP...

I can't wait to get 's response to that very issue - - for example - Subaru will not allow its dealers to play thoise games on STI's
Old Feb 26, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Subaru will not allow its dealers to play thoise games on STI's
I talked to some Subaru guys about this last week. They say they have been told no such thing. Personally I think this came from teh same source as the "no 350Z's over sticker" rumors which were also untrue.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 08:16 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Dealerships can ask ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Who cares. The final selling price is determined by the buyers! . Don't buy it for more than you believe it is worth.

Speedlimit............
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

I talked to some Subaru guys about this last week. They say they have been told no such thing. Personally I think this came from teh same source as the "no 350Z's over sticker" rumors which were also untrue.
I had no sweat placing an STI order at MSRP - - no suby dealers were asking anything over msrp at all - nothing like at all!

Quick Reply: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging