Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my "response" from some manager at customer service placed a telephone call to my office

It was not a pleasant call

Basically - she said they are not going to do anything about this - and they don't care about this

As far as is concerened - they could care less how badly the dealer rips you off - - they say - they can do what ever they want to you - its buyer beware and msrp is only a sugesstion

So - I guess its up to us to stand up and fight with out hard earned $$$ and refuse to be taken

Prob the only good thing that will come out of this war in the next few weeks is that the shock of the war and the fear in concumers and the spiking up of gas prices may put the chill on the market for high perf cars

could not have had worse timing for releasing this car with a war staring the same week the cars are comming

to - - - Wish I could afford a Ferrari so I could be protected by the manufatutrer against dealer cheats
Old Feb 27, 2003, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Alfriedesq
I had no sweat placing an STI order at MSRP - - no suby dealers were asking anything over msrp at all - nothing like at all!
I just talked to 2 suby dealers in my area...and they wanted MSRP plus 5k. they said MSRP would be "around" 32k and there was still 2 cars available for the first allotment.
and for everyone crying about gouging... it's a free market economy where prices are determined by supply and demand. is it legal ? sure it is. is it ethical ? to a degree... yes. i work in sales of avionics spare parts and i call the shots in pricing. we also do have an MSRP but we are free to charge above or below it. when i get a call on friday afternoon from some airline in nigeria, whose plane is grounded because they need parts. i may charge them double, even triple the MSRP. If they can find it somewhere else cheaper and faster ? my loss.. that's the risk i take by going high.
point is.. nobody is pointing a gun at you to buy the evo at xxx price. if you dont like it, walk away and find a dealership that will or find a similar alternative. the free market and capitalism is what we fought communism for, so let's enjoy the fruits of our system.

Last edited by jman425; Feb 27, 2003 at 03:32 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jman425
I just talked to 2 suby dealers in my area...and they wanted MSRP plus 5k. they said MSRP would be "around" 32k and there was still 2 cars available for the first allotment.
and for everyone crying about gouging... it's a free market economy where prices are determined by supply and demand. is it legal ? sure it is. is it ethical ? to a degree... yes. i work in sales of avionics spare parts and i call the shots in pricing. we also do have an MSRP but we are free to charge above or below it. when i get a call on friday afternoon from some airline in nigeria, whose plane is grounded because they need parts. i may charge them double, even triple the MSRP. If they can find it somewhere else cheaper and faster ? my loss.. that's the risk i take by going high.
point is.. nobody is pointing a gun at you to buy the evo at xxx price. if you dont like it, walk away and find a dealership that will or find a similar alternative. the free market and capitalism is what we fought communism for, so let's enjoy the fruits of our system.
Anyone who is follosih enough to pay 5 k over list in the next few weeks will be very sorry in two months when others start getting these cars at 1500 under invoice

The crude and exotortive manner of these car sales' men just makes me repulced
Old Feb 27, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mark F

This is getting retarded.

Old Feb 28, 2003, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone who is follosih enough to pay 5 k over list in the next few weeks will be very sorry in two months when others start getting these cars at 1500 under invoice
$1,500 under invoice in two months?!?!?!?!?!

Once again proof that crack don't smoke itself.

Oh, and to put the whole pricing thing in perspective. On the Dealer Pricing Guide there is a note that says;

"Suggested Retail. Dealer is free to establish his/her own mark-ups or margins."

Last edited by Mark F; Feb 28, 2003 at 08:59 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 09:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No dealer will ever sell $1,500 under invoice.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

I think he meant 1500 under MSRP
possible only if factory were offering BIG rebates
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:08 AM
DJJ

I had no sweat placing an STI order at MSRP - - no suby dealers were asking anything over msrp at all - nothing like at all!
Are you for real?? Not to flame but do you really think they won't sell for over MSRP?? I talked to my subie dealer here in the burbs and they said "good luck getting you're hands on one, We are selling for 5k over msrp and all are spoken for". Even he couldn't believe people would put down money on a car they have never seen b4 or drove.

I sit here and read alot and don't post much. But I noticed that the evo's started out the same way the sti's are. At first people were getting their evo's for msrp or so they thought. But then as the release date gets closer the dealers are marking up. And you're promise for msrp is out the window. Don't you think that when the sti's release date gets closer that the subie dealers will do the same?? They are both hot cars, and IMO the sti will end up being the same problem for you as the evo was in regards to OVER MSRP. Just my .02$
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DJJ

Are you for real?? Not to flame but do you really think they won't sell for over MSRP?? I talked to my subie dealer here in the burbs and they said "good luck getting you're hands on one, We are selling for 5k over msrp and all are spoken for". Even he couldn't believe people would put down money on a car they have never seen b4 or drove.

I sit here and read alot and don't post much. But I noticed that the evo's started out the same way the sti's are. At first people were getting their evo's for msrp or so they thought. But then as the release date gets closer the dealers are marking up. And you're promise for msrp is out the window. Don't you think that when the sti's release date gets closer that the subie dealers will do the same?? They are both hot cars, and IMO the sti will end up being the same problem for you as the evo was in regards to OVER MSRP. Just my .02$
I had two written contcats on STI's - i was going to take both of them - they are both at MSRP - I was going to use one as a dialy driver and the other as a race car only - due to some problems in my family I had to cancel one of them - but i still have the other - - its a firm written contract at msrp no add ons - - there are many people in the suby world who have similar contracts on the STI - its easy to get it at msrp - the suby dealers are much more honest
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fireball

No dealer will ever sell $1,500 under invoice.
Yeah I mean 1500 under msrp

I'm willing to place a wager on this

There will be an active war going on and gas going over 225 per gallon

The dealer gets a cash kickback from the manufacturer if they sell the car quickly - - they can sell it at way under msrp and still make a lot of $$ on your business

One the initial few hundred or so get their initial few cars - - then the 2nd and 3rd waves will move much slower

There are a lot of cars comming out this summer (STI Rx8- etc) that will give viable alternatives for the same price range and the economic climate is not looking good for auto sales

I predict this goes the same was as the WRX introduction wnet - only worse becuase insurance will be much more expensive on these
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I mean 1500 under msrp

I'm willing to place a wager on this

The dealer gets a cash kickback from the manufacturer if they sell the car quickly - - they can sell it at way under msrp and still make a lot of $$ on your business

One the initial few hundred or so get their initial few cars - - then the 2nd and 3rd waves will move much slower

There are a lot of cars comming out this summer (STI Rx8- etc) that will give viable alternatives for the same price range and the economic climate is not looking good for auto sales

I predict this goes the same was as the WRX introduction wnet - only worse becuase insurance will be much more expensive on these
Cash kickback if they sell the car quickly? Hah!!!! You've obviously never worked for Mitsubishi.

But you said you would wager on this one so here it goes. I'll bet you my 2003 total gross income that within 2-months Evolutions are still going for MSRP or more nationally.

How about that?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Mark F

Cash kickback if they sell the car quickly? Hah!!!! You've obviously never worked for Mitsubishi.

But you said you would wager on this one so here it goes. I'll bet you my 2003 total gross income that within 2-months Evolutions are still going for MSRP or more nationally.

How about that?
I don't know how much you make - but after buying my Lancer and my STI and laying out all those big $$$ on mods in the next few months I will be broke - how about we wager on something I can afford like an injen intake or a downpipe?So if i can get a contract for below msrp sometime in say June or July then I win - right?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

BTW - you know my Evo is contracted at MSRP and no dealer add ons right ? Anyone who wants that same deal now can get it easy - just takes a few phone calls
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:46 PM

Because.... with the exception of the Recaro front seats, the interior is an $18,000 Lancer without cruise control. Plus it is NOT a beamer or Porshe. Of course I could be wrong
What...You are obviously not a true fan of this car...fi so you would know that: The Evo is built on a different line than the Lancer, it looks different that a lancer because it is many herer could go on and on I wont bore you..................but when-no if you ever sit behind the unique Momo streering wheel looking at the unique Evo gages in the recarros looking out the 10%lightened glass with more than a unique engine. You are just ignorant Lets see that evo brings so much more bang for the buck than a Porsche, Humm I could have an Evo for the track and one for everyday for what the Porsche would cost.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 03:39 PM
In Timeout

Exclamation The Zone!

I don't know how much you make - but after buying my Lancer and my STI and laying out all those big $$$ on mods in the next few months I will be broke - how about we wager on something I can afford like an injen intake or a downpipe?So if i can get a contract for below msrp sometime in say June or July then I win - right?
Dude, I'm with ya there!

Quick Reply: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging