Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc.
P. O. Box 6014
Cypress, CA 90630-0014

Re: Lancer Evolution VIII

I am writing to express my total dissatisfaction and outrage over price gouging and dealer rip offs related to the introduction of your new highly anticipated Lancer Evolution VIII.

In shopping for a Lancer in my area I have been confronted with dealers attempting to inflate the MSRP by up to $7,500.00 over list MSRP. The average dealer in my area is attempting to charge $5,000.00 over MSRP. Also, they are adding on greatly overpriced dealer add ons which are sold at hundreds of times the actual cost such as paint protector, theft coding, sound proofing, muffler tips and numerous other sneaky scams. In short, the dealers are using our excitement over your product to overcharge and take advantage of the consumers. This type of practice is very unfair and results in the dealers making huge windfalls of cash at the expense of the unwary consumer.

As the importer and manufacturer – I feel it is your duty to restrain these profiteers who seek to take advantage of your companies good will and innovation. It is pure bad business and customer relations to have your reputation as a company sullied by these primitive and crude mafia like scams that the local dealers are employing to attempt to extract every penny they can from the consumers who are trying to purchase this car.

I was told by one dealer that they were accepting deposits but would be selling the cars they receive to the highest “bidder” on ebay or at the dealership and that all sales orders would be marked “subject to the highest bid.”

Another dealer said they would only write orders “subject to undetermined market price and mark up over MSRP to be determined at time of sale.”
I ask – WHY are you allowing this practice to occur?

If the demand is so high and the availability so low – why not raise the MSRP?

Doesn’t the dealer already make a sufficient profit at MSRP?

I would strongly suggest that you crack down on your dealers and force them to sell the vehicles at MSRP or below.

The few inflated rip off sales that occur at $5,000 - $7,500 over MSRP will come at a great cost to your companies good will and reputation which are so hard earned at great effort by your other wise amazing company. Consumers like myself will have LONG memories of such unfair and dirty tactics and I feel this practice could cause serious damage to your company in the future by people who remember that they were dealt with in an unfair way and taken advantage of.

I have been greatly moved by your recent very exciting and free spirited advertisement campaign in which happy, energetic and good looking individuals are shown enjoying your cars with fun music playing. The ads ask- “are you in?” I feel this is a very positive direction for your company and it resonates with me. I want to “be in.” However, the feeling of being taken advantage of by some slick car sales man at a dealer trying to inflate the car’s price as high as he possibly can on ebay is NOT a very fun and welcome vision – sadly this has become the reality of the Lancer Evolution VIII. Sadly, I can not get “IN” the Mitsubishi experience because this practice just turns me off.

Please DO NOT allow the vision and spirit of the Evo VIII to be tarnished by these greedy and unscrupulous profiteers.

I would love to become a proud Evo VIII owner but I can not see myself allowing my excitement over your product to unjustly and unfairly enrich one of your unfair dealers.

If you would like names and details of my experience with this dealers please let me know.

Thank you for your attention.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Men - its time to stop being lemmings - stand up for whats right - vote with your pocket book - let mitsubishi know how you feel - maybe if enough people complain they will do something about this ???
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:10 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=14489

I'm from Michigan and buying one in Chicago, what the hey Just an idea.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know what---it sucks that you can't find an Evo at MSRP in your area, but that is Capitolism in America. Supply and demand, supply and demand.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:24 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Alfriedesq, very well written.
If you would like names and details of my experience with this dealers please let me know.
That's the only part I would change. Don't wait for them to ask, send the details with your letter.

As to how to remedy your current situation, I would follow gtr's advice and start shopping out of state. Good luck.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

You know what? I'm mad too. I'm goig to write Mitsubishi about this pricing thing too. I'm sick and tired of having to give away all thier other cars for a few bucks over invoice. I mean, this month I've sold 4 Mitsubishi's so far, about $90,000 worth of merchandise and because I had to give all of them away in spite of the best incentives in the business, my paycheck was barely $350.

I'm just sick of it.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

i am a person who has no issues paying MSRP but don't u dare try and gouge me...the gouging greedy dealers is why i am not buying an Evo for atleast year if ever...its really made me not want one
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Originally posted by Mark F
You know what? I'm mad too. I'm goig to write Mitsubishi about this pricing thing too. I'm sick and tired of having to give away all thier other cars for a few bucks over invoice. I mean, this month I've sold 4 Mitsubishi's so far, about $90,000 worth of merchandise and because I had to give all of them away in spite of the best incentives in the business, my paycheck was barely $350.

I'm just sick of it.
My local Ferrari dealer sells EVERY car at dealer invoice - not a penny over - even if its an enzo or a 360 spyder that commands almost a $45,000.00 premium over sticker used on the secondary market

This is the way to do business

Thats why they have been there for over 30 years and its why they maintain long term customer relationships - and why they make a LOT of $$$ every year - in a fair manner

I am willing to pay MSRP - there is a fair profit built in there at that price - everyone makes a good living - also the dealer gets kickbacks and other incentives from the manufacturer and also they make money from the bank on my financing

I am sorry if some of the cars are not moving well for you and you are having to low ball on the selling price to attract customers - - the solution is to build long term relationships with customers that will be back to see you every few years becuase you went the extra mile for them - treated them fairly and made them happy - those clients will tell their friends and family about the service they got and you'll get even more business

Just beacuse you sold a car for no profit dosn't make it fair to rip me off for $5,000.00 over msrp just beause I am hot to get a particular car

Its up to Mitsubishi to put a halt to this practice of turning the screws to the EVO VIII buyers in order to make an unusual profit to equate all the other bad deals the dealership made that year - - this activity is going to **** off a lot of people

I would sooner jump off a 20 story building than fork over my hard earned dollars to the dealers trying to scam an extra $5,000 over sticker - - - the more people who join with me - the more likely that Mitsubishi will actually do something about it

Are YOU in?

Last edited by Alfriedesq; Feb 21, 2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with Alriedesq

i am not buying an Evo till dealers get a clue and charge MSRP...i am not asking for less than that everybody has to make a profit and the dealer that get my money will get me returning for more cars in the future
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:10 PM

MSRP is more than enough of a profit for the dealer. The Evo will be the first car I ever buy @ and not under MSRP. I implore people not to do business with scumbags such as the ones mentioned, who are trying to blatantly rip people in this shameless manner.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

If you don't like the price, don't buy the damn car. If my dealer wants to charge over MSRP, that fine. They won't be selling me a car.
Just like the WRX, Hummer H2, and 350Z are now, the EVO will be sitting on dealer lots shortly.

BTW it would be illegal for Mitsubishi to tell the dealers what price to set.

Also what you fail to realize is that dealers don't want to sell the EVO. They want it to sit in the showroom and have everyone and their grandmother walk in and oogle at it. Then they will discuss the new Outlander sitting next to it.
This is basically a win win for the dealer. It either sits and gets traffic, or at least they can turn a good margin.

Regardless it will be over shortly and there will be enough Evo's to go around.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Originally posted by Mark F

I'm just sick of it.
Think its time to find a new job?
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Re: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
My local Ferrari dealer sells EVERY car at dealer invoice - not a penny over - even if its an enzo or a 360 spyder that commands almost a $45,000.00 premium over sticker used on the secondary market

A Ferrari?

Please.

I'm guessing they have about $25k+ per unit in Holdback and Flooring so they can probably afford to do that. Good for them.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

People are going to buy evo's regarless of price. When i went to the Mitsubishi dealer here in Lancaster i saw a guy buy and evo for $40,000 yellow with sunroof and carbon wing. That's ridiculious but people pay. That letter your writing is useless because mits cann't tell the dealers how much to sell for. Mits doesn't even care they got their money already
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
If you don't like the price, don't buy the damn car. If my dealer wants to charge over MSRP, that fine. They won't be selling me a car.
Just like the WRX, Hummer H2, and 350Z are now, the EVO will be sitting on dealer lots shortly.

BTW it would be illegal for Mitsubishi to tell the dealers what price to set.
Amen. Vote with your pocketbook.

As I posted in another thread, as an example, my dealership has three cars available out of the second allocation, MSRP guaranteed.

Its a lot easier to buy a $100 plane ticket (or less) and drive the car back (oh darn, having to drive an evo back across country, such punishment). Don't pay over MSRP! ! !

Quick Reply: Writing a complaint letter to Mitsubishi - re: dealer price gouging