Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

low on money but is act really good like they say????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You kept the original, stock flywheel? How did they resurface it? The mechanic told me that it couldn't be resurfaced, because it's not a 2-step and that there are no prescribed resurfacing measurements given by Mitsu. He was willing to do it if I really wanted him to, but he recommended against it highly, since it was not meant to be resurfaced. It didn't help that my flywheel was a mirror and had hot spots of varying, unmeasurable depth. I did stick with a stock flywheel as the replacement, though, instead of going the lightened path.

Hopefully, my ACT will work out well, too.
Yeah I know several people that have stuck with the stocker. My mechanic did not say a thing to me about not being able to do it? As far as how they resurface it I will check for you on Monday. I know my stock clutch was toast when I looked at it but I never saw the flywheel (already in the car LOL). I think you will be fine though either way.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo13
Yeah I know several people that have stuck with the stocker. My mechanic did not say a thing to me about not being able to do it? As far as how they resurface it I will check for you on Monday. I know my stock clutch was toast when I looked at it but I never saw the flywheel (already in the car LOL). I think you will be fine though either way.
Well if it were fine, I would have stuck with the stocker, but the master tech, who is widely-respected in our local Evo community, said that Mitsu gives _no_ resurfacing spec and that the flywheel is not a 2-step, so it's not supposed to be resurfaced. To make it worse in my case, my flywheel was a literal mirror from the abuse I gave it, and there were hotspots of undeterminable depth. If they were to resurface it, they would have to keep cutting until they got below all the hotspots, at which point they would probably have gone too low for the flywheel to even be useful. Anyway, he said that the more you cut down on the stock flywheel, the more you alter the engagement mechanics of the flywheel/clutch, and that is the reason for many people having issues with aftermarket clutches. Some or many may have resurfaced the stock flywheel and gone on to have no problems, but I didn't want to risk it at that point.

After picking up my car with the new flywheel and ACT, I had perfect engagement right in the middle of the pedal motion, it grabs hard in every gear, and I have no trouble engaging in 1st or reverse. I broke it in with some stop-and-go plus highway driving, then went and placed top 5 in an autocross less than half a second off the FTD, so I think all is well. I do not plan on doing anymore drag launches on it, though, since I have no way of getting past my 4th-gear-limited 111mph mark.