Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

nail in tire and other things

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nail in tire and other things

Hey guys, three things...

1. I went to get my first oil change at the dealership and got majorly ripped off. for an oil change and tire rotation they charged me 90 bucks. wtf is this normal? I can do everything but the tire rotation becaus I don't have jackstands or a torque wrench. Should i go and buy this stuff?

2. They found a nail in my advan withonly 3k miles, but it doesn't appear to be leaking so should i just check the pressure and fill as necessary until all four tires wear out or shoudl i change it?

3. the warranty guy said i could mod anything i want and that he would only deny a warranty claim if the mod itself caused the problem. that doesn't seem to be the norm with mitsu dealerships but i'm fine with that.

Last question (i know i said three but o well) what exhaust shoudl i go with i paln on building a full turboback. What downpipe? Cat-Delete or High Flow Cat? Do high flow cats keep me smog legal? do they rob laot of power if they do? and which cat-back? i'm leaning towards the greddy ti because of its light weight but its pretty expensive...

thanks in advance for any input
Old Jun 23, 2005, 05:38 PM
BMo
Evolving Member

IMO:
1. Yep
2. Wear 'em out
3. Get it in writing
4. Research
Old Jun 23, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1. change the oil yourself...puts hair on your chest.
jack stands = $20 for set of 2 ... torque wrench = $50 ...jack $30-100
2. get that tire patched up ...if it's in the sidewall...replace the tire...no patching on the side
3. you got a decent dealership like i do...i'm modded too...just hope nothing internal goes wrong ...and if so...make sure you have all associated stock parts ... especially intake....

bonus Q. greddy titanium is very nice...i'd rock the buschur if you can't get the greddy...that thing is crazy light and doesn't sound half bad either
you probably could pass smog test with a highflow cat...and you will lose a decent amount of ponies for having a cat vs non cat ...definetly noticeable...but you can live with it
Old Jun 23, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

what BMo said above but for #2. I would pull the nail out and plug the hole, you can buy a tire repair kit at any store. You won't have to worry about the hole after that.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by li1p1aya
what BMo said above but for #2. I would pull the nail out and plug the hole, you can buy a tire repair kit at any store. You won't have to worry about the hole after that.

ditto. I agree with both lip1aya and BMo. for #4 - depends if you want the most quiet or most free-flowing. do your research on this one.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VwRyder
1. change the oil yourself...puts hair on your chest.
jack stands = $20 for set of 2 ... torque wrench = $50 ...jack $30-100
2. get that tire patched up ...if it's in the sidewall...replace the tire...no patching on the side
3. you got a decent dealership like i do...i'm modded too...just hope nothing internal goes wrong ...and if so...make sure you have all associated stock parts ... especially intake....

bonus Q. greddy titanium is very nice...i'd rock the buschur if you can't get the greddy...that thing is crazy light and doesn't sound half bad either
you probably could pass smog test with a highflow cat...and you will lose a decent amount of ponies for having a cat vs non cat ...definetly noticeable...but you can live with it
what he said.

jack stand and torque wrench is a must.

hair on the chest is a must for wind aerodynamics.

dealer wont replace the tires because you got a nail in it. Just get it patched, it's good. use the plug patch. it looks like a stand and a nipple coming out of it.

discount tire store, they'll charge you $15 but you get that back if you get the tires from them.

Buschur's got ugly, but real nice exhausts. And their magnaflow mufflers sound real good. Not too loud, not too quiet, just perfect.

you could pass the emission test with a dealer flash, ecu flash without the cat.

dealer flash will flash it to where it recognizes the problem and dulls it out.

I have no cel light after the dealer flash. then I got a dyno flash after that.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 06:57 PM
ED4

For #2 VwRyder is correct. Plugs cause the belts to stretch(around the plug(including plug/patches) and seperate. Never ever plug a performance tire. Always patch from the inside. Also plugged tired lose their speed ratings.

There was an article in undercar digest(our shop gets the mag) that went into tires and compounds and different manufacturers. They all said the same use patches.

Last edited by ED4; Jun 23, 2005 at 06:59 PM.