Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help! Stalling Issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2005 | 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Question Need Help! Stalling Issue?

Ok. I've asked for help before but I can't figure out what else to do.

When I shift into any gear but then push in the clutch without going to the next gear, my car stalls about 30% of the time now. I know it has something to do with the BOV. I never had this issue until it was installed. Today the car stalled on me twice while driving down the interstate. Luckly I know how to pop the clutch to get it going again.

I've tried adjusting the BOV to hard, but I'm hearing fluttering noise which I think is compressor surge. So, I adjusted it really soft and the fluttering noise has gone way down and my BOV is really loud now which is fine, but the stall issue won't go away. Just for info, it's a Greddy BOV and is recirculating.

Any advice? It's driving me nuts and I'm about the put the stock one back on.

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone?? Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

use a different BOV or get help from someone with tuning experience.....otherwise you're gonns F-up you Evo.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm...I would like to think that this is caused by the BOV venting at idle, but it shouldn't do that in a 100% recirculating setup. Did you double check everything? By the way, don't consider me an expert.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

check the recirculating lines, seems like the maf isnt gettin what it wants
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

I just had the car flashed over the weekend by Buschur Racing. I had this issue before this and mentioned it to Dan. Dan said to put the stock one back on. I was just trying to figure the thing out before I did this. I like the sound it makes and I don't think I get it with the Stock BOV.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

is your BOV venting to atmosphere? If so you are confusing your MAF sensor and causing your engine to run rich. Do a search for VTA and BOV. 03's and 04's have this problem. Try recirculating if you are not already.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ok. I'm pretty new to this so I took Dan's word that they set it up to recirculate. The top part of the blow off valve has the hose running back to the engine. The lower tube on the BOV has nothing attached to it. Does this mean it's recirculating? It's a Greddy BOV. Also, the sound you guys all heard in the Fast and Furious movie is the sound I'm getting. I thought that was venting to the atmosphere.

Kinds of lost. Sorry I'm not that experienced with this stuff yet!
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nvr2old32
I like the sound it makes and I don't think I get it with the Stock BOV.
Darn, no sound with the stock BOV. I guess it's not worth having a car that drives worth a damn.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

The lower tube on the BOV has nothing attached to it. Does this mean it's recirculating?
Wow....

You just found your problem...think about the term "vent-to-atmosphere" and what that means. It means when your valve opens, the air "vents to atmosphere." If it were recirculating, the air would be directed back into the intake hose and not blow into the air.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jun 23, 2005 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Screw it. I'm going to take the damn thing off and put the stock one back on.

Beside, it doesn't do anything but make noise. I'm only running 20psi. Stock BOV should hold this.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Screw it. I'm going to take the damn thing off and put the stock one back on.

Beside, it doesn't do anything but make noise. I'm only running 20psi. Stock BOV should hold this.
You have seen the light.

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with a good aftermarket BOV. I was pretty sure we already figured out your problem when you said that your BOV intake port was not connected to anything. If you just connect that side into the intake and seal it up, you'll be fully recirculating and should run fine.

If you do put the stocker on, then hopefully everything runs well again. If so, it confirms that it was your BOV, but that doesn't mean you can't get it to work properly if you get it installed right...

Yes, at stock boost, the stocker is fine...but didn't you get the BOV to hold increased boost (20 is increased)?
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

No. Actually, I was a dummy and just wanted it for the noise. I didn't think I'd take my car past 20psi anyway. I just had the "Stage 2" package intalled at Buschur Racing and I think I'm done. Hell, I'm 32 with a wife and kids. I get the funniest looks driving down the road. Doesn't bother me though, I love this crap and don't care what anyone else thinks.

One more thing. When you say connect the intake port into the intake, not sure I'm following. The reason I say this is that the top port on the BOV is connected back to the engine, and the lower tube is open. Where do I connect the lower tube to? (No more places to connect.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

The other port of the greddy does not need to be connected. Did you perform the single spring mod??

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=1&tech_id=7

Last edited by GOKOU; Jun 23, 2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2005 | 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm....you had the Buschur Stage 2 kit installed....are all the upper intercooler pipes connected and NOT loose or about ready to fall off?

I had this problem with my car (05 MR) it would idle almost perfectly but as soon as I got on the throttle it would want to stall out.

I found the lower intercooler shorty pipe coming off the intercooler pipe had come completely off.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Stalling Issue?