Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Have anyone run into the 10's with $5000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill give it a whirl once I get a fresh clutch in my car. If I can wrangle a 10.99 out of it with the stock turbo on at full weight car (3380lb), you will have your proof, exept Id be over budget by $360 injectors and $600 272 cams.

But, you can probobly neglect the wideband and remove it from the car after tuning (or just "one time tune" it on the dyno) and also run the car without exhaust at the track and save more than that to keep the total under $5000.

Im fired up...will pull the trans out this week and get a new clutch disk in there.

BTW...I did the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 challenge last year with a 90 awd talon. That car went 11.7 @ 119 for $1757 including the cost of the car!!! it also beat 70+ cars at autox and beat 60+ cars at a carshow. We got 3rd place at the dragstrip event behind the eventual drag winner in an old 280Z/350cu/nos car, and a stripped v8 nova dragcar. We blew all the other non-v8 cars out of the water, and beat TONS of nitrous/v8/RWD cars at thier own game. There were 89 cars entered at the event, we got 5th overall. $2004 total budget restraint, we spent $1757.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what has been mentioned above has all been in theory

has anyone actually done it with 5k in mods ?
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
what has been mentioned above has all been in theory

has anyone actually done it with 5k in mods ?
Im going to try. I bet I'm the closest to the goal though and would only need to make one or three minor changes (fresh tires, fresh clutch, change jets + retune). no doubt in my mind I can go 10's with that list, and that's at full weight with full exhaust.

With gutting, major weightloss it could go even faster, but Im not going to chop up my nice dailey drive evo just to prove a point.

Last edited by DSMotorsport; Jul 4, 2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMotorsport
Im going to try. I bet I'm the closest to the goal though.
gl - it would be nice to see

the evo is such a great platform ...
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

I would assume that Curt Browns power mods were close to that when he did it. Im not sure on his parts though but you need to remember... MANY parts we put in the cars are so we can have fun safely and have fun on pump gas repeatedly. To make a few passes just to prove a point is not what someone would really want to do. Like DSMotorsports said, it is easily feasible.... but who would want to keep thier budget at a said amount just to prove a point? From what is sounds like, thier car will be able to do it. Alot of the parts (Like exhaust, arent needed at all to buy... just toss em). The weight savings is another thing... you shave it to 2,800lbs wet and you need MUCH less power to hit your 10 and a less good clutch to do it. I dont think anyone would honestly disagree that is is relatively easy assuming you can drive really well and know how to tune yourself.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

By the way... was that 280z at the grassroots a yellow color? I think I know the guy. He is from near Winona, MN. That car is just funny. I think he won it but I dont know which year. I was autocrossing with guy a few months back and it was funnier than hell... he had the loudest, crappiest looking car there and his exhaust fell off halfway through the run. Cool idea that grassroots thing is but I have my doubts on some of the entries truly being the cost they claim.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I dont think anyone would honestly disagree that is is relatively easy assuming you can drive really well and know how to tune yourself.
only if the said person has the ablility to install all mentioned parts
Old Jul 4, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

I would hope anyone trying to hit a 10 for cheap could work on thier own damned car and be able to tune it. To hit a 10 even with a car that is capable of it is very tough. Now make it so it is barely capable of it and it gets even tougher.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

By the way... was that 280z at the grassroots a yellow color? I think I know the guy. He is from near Winona, MN. That car is just funny. I think he won it but I dont know which year. I was autocrossing with guy a few months back and it was funnier than hell... he had the loudest, crappiest looking car there and his exhaust fell off halfway through the run. Cool idea that grassroots thing is but I have my doubts on some of the entries truly being the cost they claim.
yes that 280z was an orangish yellow color.

many many of the competators cooked the books, and that is a major reason why we didn't go back in 2005. there were cars at the 2003 event that were at the budget limit, blew up an engine, and somehow made it back for 2004 with a fresh motor and additional mods. But somehow they got that new motor for $1.
It's very suprising how fast you can go with basicly junkyard car/parts if you know how to spend your money well, tune,drive, and design a modification combo.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

low 11 `s maybe guys for $5 k ,but no 10`s..the more cash u spend the faster u go.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

10's for 5K is impossible if you are talking about new retail prices!

why? b/c you have to factor in a clutch and labor........and thats not including wheels and slicks!
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
I believe it is possible, especially with a 05 EVO model.

First thing is your going to need a strong EVO. Unfortunately not all EVOs are created equal, and getting a very strong EVO straight from the factory would help a lot. Also you need to be a very good driver, average or below average drivers need not apply. Stock, your car needs to run atleast 13.2@102-104MPH.

Turboback Exhaust $800

Manual Boost Controller $75

K&N Drop In Air Filter $75

UTEC Engine Management System $1,050

Intake and Exhaust Cams $600

White Rabbit Turbo $1,550

680 or 780 Fuel Injectors $380

Fuel Pump $100

Buschur Standard Intercooler Upgrade $650

Tuning $500

(Sorry went over by around $800)

This combo on race fuel with a good tune should net you 450-500WHP. That's enough for a trap speed of around 123-126MPH. Most drivers will only hit low to mid 11s with this trap speed, but a very good driver can hit 10s. The key component is the driver. Also IMO this was not possible a year ago (not unless you had mad hook ups), but the combination of the 2005s running very strong, cheaper turbos that make good power, and better tuning has made this possible.
Hmm, I dont see the advantage of having an 05 if your changing the turbo and tune anyway. Unless your talking the FLSD. In which case, the RS would be a better model to start with.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

I dont think the install labor for anything should be included in that price. Some people can do it themselves so it can be done. Wether or not the person with the 5k can do it really shouldnt matter.

The tune, I could understand, even though it kinda falls into the same thing. Some people out there can tune just fine so..............................I dunno........Nevermind
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well here is my list for 10.9 at $5000

TBE- $300 (buy it used)

AEM EMS - $1500 with uego (buy it used)

Alky kit - $500 (new)

intake - $150 (used or $200 helix new)

piping - $200 (custom made at midas or something)

FMIC - $650

drag slicks - $600 (or buy one used that could be used for 5 times or so)

empty out your car - free

that's $3900 so far.

10.5 hotside - $300

that's $4200

used hks cams, 272/272 - ($400)

that's $4600

with $400 tune, dyno time, etc. install everything yourself. they're not that hard.

if you can, i would put some holes in the front bumper, rear bumpers, sand down the fenders, doors, hood, trunk to a paper thin thickness.

Take the side skirts out, front lip, lower diffuser, and strip all the paint off of the car while you're at it.

take the door beams out, all the safety crap out (including the airbag), take the interior apart to the bare bone (that's including all your carpets, plastic things, radio, radio wiring, front dash, ceiling, windows, just everything except for your bare essentials.)

if not 10's, it'll be damn close.

Then again, where are you gonna go with a 10 sec car that's for track only?

once you go that fast, i don't think you could turn very well with it.

Last edited by plokivos; Jul 5, 2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Yes you could do it if you really wanted to. Think about it. Stock turbo is capable on a relatively full weight car. So here is your price sheet:

GUT the car to about 2,800lbs. = $Free
Used AEM EMS (Others work but I know this would) = $1,200
C16 = $50
Some Nitrous setup = $600?
Remove the full turbo back exhaust = $Free
Tune yourself to unsafe levels that create gobs of power = $Free
Used Cams = $400
Used Fuel Pump = $70
no air filter or intake pipe = $Free
used upper/lower ic pipe + FMIC = $600
Used 1st Gen DSM BOV = $30

If needed:
Good clutch = $1200?
Port the turbo, manifold and o2 housing if you wish for free also.

And add slicks if you want but they arent needed at all.

Someone tell me why this wouldnt hit a 10 with a good driver

Total price = $2,950... or $4,150 if you need the clutch which i doubt you would to hit a high 10.

You would hit a ten... will the motor hold for very long... probably not but hey.. you got what you wanted for under $5k.
No intake pipe? Yeah i'm sure thats real safe, along with the tune to unsafe levels.