Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Undertray Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undertray Question

What is the main point of the undertray? If I take it off, should i put it back on, or is it ok to keep it off?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:31 AM

well from the crap below to mess up your aluminum parts and TC ...plus keeps all the crap from hitting the bottom...
oh and aerodynamics
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu would not but it on if it did not serve a purpose. Im pretty sure they dont have alot of extra money laying around to burn! (I would leave it on)
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOVIIISD
Mitsu would not but it on if it did not serve a purpose. Im pretty sure they dont have alot of extra money laying around to burn! (I would leave it on)
Good point!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Its used for protection and air difussion, I had mine off for a couple months, I put it back on when I got cams/gears to make sure the gears would not get any rocks and debris caught in them.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOVIIISD
Thats exactly my reasoning! Albeit not a very good explaination, sorry...probably for protection of the flimsy aluminium stuff/IC/aerodynamics/to drive installers and dyno tuners crazy!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by QAT-R
Thats exactly my reasoning! Albeit not a very good explaination, sorry...probably for protection of the flimsy aluminium stuff/IC/aerodynamics/to drive installers and dyno tuners crazy!
Lol tell me about it. I was hoping to get an answer like "Oh that piece of junk doesnt do anything" so when i take it off i dont have to put it back on. Too bad.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

And you know Mistu purposely used a million of those poppet screws just to **** off people who planned on modding the EVO. Dammit Nick, your gonna be the one who has to put that stupid thing back on!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

OK, I lied its actually mod deternant that Mitsu installs at the factory....Helps prevent mod installation!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

well lets put it this way, i took mine off, 3 days after it was off, snap, somthing came off my wheel or somthing and hit my accessory belt...... so ya,
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

i took off mine as well.
my car gets alot cooler than before with cover off.
hot air escapes from top and bottom. and u save like 8pounds of weight...its all good!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yesevo
i took off mine as well.
my car gets alot cooler than before with cover off.
hot air escapes from top and bottom. and u save like 8pounds of weight...its all good!

I guess id take it off maybe at the track to keep it cooler but as far street driving goes, Id leave it on. Too many potential problems in my opinion (road debris).
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The main point of the under tray is to speed-up air flow under the vehicle, in order to create downforce. Air has to go through a more complicated path above the front-end than below it, therefore increasing the air speed differential, and creating downforce. That's efficient at high speeds. If you don't speed much, the under tray is still serving its secondary point: protecting all that engine-bay stuff... If you ask me, I'd leave it on!
Just my thoughts though.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:33 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
And I don't have that under-tray for 7 months. No problem yet. I'm thinking of fabricating one since my RNR-GT35r kit won't fix it (according to Bryan). First, I'll have to find out why it won't fix but I was too busy with real work to pay for the mods. But you guy scared me now. :-)
Old Jul 5, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

i had mines off since about march or so and no problems yet. I took it off while installing new pipes, and one of my friends forgot to put few of those screws back in and it broke off. I was pissed, but yea it keeps my engine bay much cooler now and haven't had any problems. I plan on putting it back on again for the winter to keep away from the salt and etc.

Quick Reply: Undertray Question