Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Your opinions on "MIVEC"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Mitsu's a day late and a dollar short.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ELF
i keep my 8
ditto sir...lol
Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

but hasnt MIVEC been around in japan for awhile already? hasnt it already been on a turbo charge car too? i mean everyone is using variable valve timing now. and its seems to work great for almost every company, especially honda.

didnt hks introduce a VVT for the evo a year or 2 ago? i honest think that MIVEC wont hurt the evo when it comes to power gains. just look at honda for a second. when u by cams for hondas; u can either get the v-tec killer cams (which i guess elimates v-tec) or cams that work wit v-tec. please correct me if im wrong wit this. so we gotta assume that at this moment hks, jun, tomei, and other cam makers for the evo. have their hands on a 9 engine and working on developing a cam that will work wit MIVEC and make great power.

lets not assume the worse at this moment. cuz we seen what a variable valve timing can do wit a turbo on it. just look at the hondas and the people that build them.

plus i also thought that the reason why its hard to make power wit the subarus is because they have more than one ECU controlling their car and the fact that they use 4 cams.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ries
i like my 8 but want the IX turbo
i feel u too. ill keep my 03 evo 8. as much as i want a ACD, 6 speed, and black recaros. i love my car to much to give it up.

ill just wait and see what MIVEC does for the 4g63. and if it turns out to be amazing and do what i-vtec does for honda. then ill get the heads to throw it on my car.

i also want the IX turbo as well. but i gotta see a comparsion between the IX turbo, 6.5 TME,white rabbit, and 21G (as soon as buschur perfects it) . to see what is basically the best stockish looking turbo for our car.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

I like the looks of the IX better also. But I am going to wait for people to try out the IX and see how it compares before I make a purchase.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
IMO MIVEC = Mitsubishi's Inevitable Violent Engine Catastrophe = just one more complexity added to the car = just one more thing to go wrong ... which on a is definitely not a good thing. It may be a good thing for a stock Evo 9, since it should allow to provide us with a more powerful engine while still meeting emissions standards, but for modding purposes, I'd rather go without.

l8r)
I agree with Ludikraut. Why not wait and see what happens with MIVEC and actually see if the new technology lives up the the hype.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
the evo X comes out as a 2007 model as far as I know. that means the evo 9 will only be out one year, because the evo X is supposed to have a completely different powerplant. I'm hoping for a beefy 4g64 stock and a larger turbo making the car has 350 hp but we'll see what happens. Thats gonna make the 9 the weird step child because it will be the only 2.0 turbo mitsu motor to have mivec. I think the 9 is gonna be rough to make tons of power from.
Actually i heard that with the Evo X it will be a different motor, no more 4g63! Ive heard and read from a few sources that mitsu, hyundai and dodge will have a universal motor that will be used on the Evo X and the rest of the cars and will not be like the current model also it will be based on a different platform but dont know if its 100% certain. So i think it looks like for now keeping the Evo VIII and maybe the IX is the best bet and see whats in store with the X.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

keeping my 05..already years of R&D into this motor, proven aftermarket parts.......it's bulletproof...

mivec, it will take the industry years minimum, to workout the mivec problems and glitches to get products to run with it correctly...

you know the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! well mitsubishi must have never heard that saying.....
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

I love when all the n00bs come in here and post ridiculous opinions. I am not sure they even read what they type.

Lets take a look at the history of Evolutions shall we. Ever since the Evolution I came out in 1992 each preceeding model has been an improvement, hands down. I cant believe how much trash I heard talked about the 8 when the body was released, now you people are holding on to those cars like grim death. The Evolution I only made 246 hp. Come on people, get a grip.

Secondly, cars overseas (and domestically) have had some sort of variable valve timming (Mivec, VVT-i, V-tech... etc) for years. The reserch and design for this technology was done years ago. Its not like they figured this out LAST YEAR and slapped it on 2005 model cars. Take for example Hydrogen fuel Cells and hybrids, reserch for those cars started nearly 30 years ago, and it will be another 5 years atleast before a hydrogen fuel cell car makes it into production.

Don't bash something you havent experienced.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:18 PM

Originally the car was built to meet FIA requirements, this kept the EVO at the cutting edge. Now that those rules have changed mitsubishi no longer has a reason to dump huge sums of money in to development for the car. There is no more justification for R&D dollars to go to this car i see this as the ultimate downfall of the EVO.

what i'm saying is get'em while the're still road going racecars
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

I Heard out of Japan that the 9 still have some problems once modded. Turbo breaking apart and causing engine damage and Boost creep over 20psi. Not sure how true, heard from a reliable source out of Japan!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by EvO6-RS2
I Heard out of Japan that the 9 still have some problems once modded. Turbo breaking apart and causing engine damage and Boost creep over 20psi. Not sure how true, heard from a reliable source out of Japan!
That makes absolutely no sense.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Since MIVEC is only on the intake cam, I wonder if the Evo IX exhaust cam can be replaced by the current aftermarket offerings. Does anyone know if the part number changed for the stock exhaust cam? Think about what a MIVEC intake, HKS 272 exhaust combination could do.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hotshot940
most people complain of top end on the freeway falling off on the 8 and i see no reason why the addition of mivec won't eliminate that top end drop.
My '05 GSR has no lack of power at the top end. The boost tapers but the thing still pulls like a beast.

/ancker
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Actually i heard that with the Evo X it will be a different motor, no more 4g63! Ive heard and read from a few sources that mitsu, hyundai and dodge will have a universal motor that will be used on the Evo X and the rest of the cars and will not be like the current model also it will be based on a different platform but dont know if its 100% certain. So i think it looks like for now keeping the Evo VIII and maybe the IX is the best bet and see whats in store with the X.
I read that too over the weekend. Cant remember where though. It would make sense. Mitsu needs to be bailed out, a joint colaboration sounds right. Especially when Hyundai was in the WRC with the Tiburon (V6) a few years back. How accurate is the info....who is to say?

Quick Reply: Your opinions on "MIVEC"?