Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Your opinions on "MIVEC"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xcdan
I love when all the n00bs come in here and post ridiculous opinions. I am not sure they even read what they type.

Lets take a look at the history of Evolutions shall we. Ever since the Evolution I came out in 1992 each preceeding model has been an improvement, hands down. I cant believe how much trash I heard talked about the 8 when the body was released, now you people are holding on to those cars like grim death. The Evolution I only made 246 hp. Come on people, get a grip.

Secondly, cars overseas (and domestically) have had some sort of variable valve timming (Mivec, VVT-i, V-tech... etc) for years. The reserch and design for this technology was done years ago. Its not like they figured this out LAST YEAR and slapped it on 2005 model cars. Take for example Hydrogen fuel Cells and hybrids, reserch for those cars started nearly 30 years ago, and it will be another 5 years atleast before a hydrogen fuel cell car makes it into production.

Don't bash something you havent experienced.
+1

Cabo
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

I did not read all the posts, but lets not forget the reason why variable valve timing was invented. So you could have a very fuel efficient tiny cam at low rpms and a greater power producing larger cam at high rpms. The VTEC trend got huge because it allowed for good power up top and better fuel milage down low, so an evo thats could get 370 miles per tank and make 350 whp might be a possibility soon....

Scorke
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

dear mistsubishi,
NO ONE WANTS YOUR DAMN MIVEC. PLEASE THROW IT AWAY WITH ALL YOUR OTHER "GOOD" IDEAS LIKE THE GALANT, NEW ECLISPE AND IX FRONT BUMPER.

THANK YOU. SINCERLY
EVERYONE AND YOUR MOTHER
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:56 AM

hello, I know I have 1 post count but I can share some thing bout MIVEC.All it does it switches with the camtiming while driving on the intake cams.Nothing else no bigger cams, no new cams same old cams.This is used on the new s15 sr20dets also.So you guys will still beable to use the same cams as evo8's.Just the camgear on the intake will be different.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genrec
keeping my 05..already years of R&D into this motor, proven aftermarket parts.......it's bulletproof...
Same for the previous years......a few mods and the thing will whoop ****.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by althemean
I read that too over the weekend. Cant remember where though. It would make sense. Mitsu needs to be bailed out, a joint colaboration sounds right. Especially when Hyundai was in the WRC with the Tiburon (V6) a few years back. How accurate is the info....who is to say?
Ive heard it from a few sources . And i have a freind that is a fact rep for Dodge and he had also told me about it but its not confirmed yet. Its supposed to start with the Evo X! If i find the info i will post it here
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
I did not read all the posts, but lets not forget the reason why variable valve timing was invented. So you could have a very fuel efficient tiny cam at low rpms and a greater power producing larger cam at high rpms. The VTEC trend got huge because it allowed for good power up top and better fuel milage down low, so an evo thats could get 370 miles per tank and make 350 whp might be a possibility soon....

Scorke
That's one reason variable valve timing exists. Another is to have a good midrange performing cam profile at lower rpm and a good high rpm cam profile at high rpm, which I'm positive is what this MIVEC is for. It's kinda like if you get HKS 272 cams and then being able to switch your cam gears between -2/-2 and 0/0 whenever you need to. I don't think Dr. Evo is digging around in his lab trying to eek more fuel efficiency out of his 4G63 by detuning it.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by althemean
I read that too over the weekend. Cant remember where though. It would make sense. Mitsu needs to be bailed out, a joint colaboration sounds right. Especially when Hyundai was in the WRC with the Tiburon (V6) a few years back. How accurate is the info....who is to say?
the world engine program is old news. It was/is a collaboration between DCX, Mitsubishi and Hyundai. It has nothing to do with Mitsubishi being bailed out of anything. all three companies will use the engine and all three companies will benefit.

It funny how on the eve of this car's release, all of these people come in with wild theories on the how's and why's when development for vehicles is done years in advance, before some of you were even interested in this car. 2007 emissions laws in this country are going to be a lot tougher then they are now, so the 4G63 retirement is probably mandatory. Adding MIVEC doesn't necessarily mean a tuning hurdle just because it is for Subaru.

Oh yee of little faith...
Old Jul 6, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

We will just have to wait and see how it responds to mods and changin the exhaust cam and see what kind of power the motor will deliver. God knows if it will make more power but only time will tell
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can you tell you this.

The evo9 engine is more smoother to drive now.

Whether its the new turbo or Mivec or both I can tell you that it feels nicer to drive compared to the evo8, well standard car to standard car.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
MIVEC only change the intake cam timing dynamically through out the rpm range, it doesn't increase lift, increase duration or change the cam profile. changing cam timing will change the overlap time between intake cam and exhaust cam which means you can run high duration cams and still get your car to idle like stock and have decent low end power. just because it has variable timing doesn't mean it's hard to tune, it depends on how the ecu is design and how the fuel map is referenced. i've been tuning honda vtec for a long time, with boost, NA, and ITBs. i've not yet seen a non-vtec engine making more power than a vtec with the same level of boost. having variable timing will give you the best of both world, good power in the low end and top end and reduce emission. If you don’t want to use Mivec, you can probably remove the hydraulic cam gear and replace it with a standard one and disable the feature on the ecu or just use an ecu from evo 8. you can probably even program the ecu so that it will stay at a constant degree that you set it at . Or, just like an external vtec controller (apex-i VAFC) for Hondas, you can even have an external controller for Mivec that will allow you to change the cam timing inside the car manually. just my thoughts on how Mivec could be tuned.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 05:17 AM
drc

I had Mitsubishi FTO in the Uk and that had MIVEC... car was a nightmare, nothing but problems!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drc
I had Mitsubishi FTO in the Uk and that had MIVEC... car was a nightmare, nothing but problems!
The car in general or the MIVEC system in particular?
Old Jul 7, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Sometimes This Board Makes Me Sick. Come On Guys, We Should Change The Name Of This Board From Evolutionm.net To Oldwhiterepublicans.net, Bc You Guys Hate Change And Knock Anything New. When The Evo 7 Came Out, Everyone Hated It, Now Everyone Loves It, When The 8 Came Out, Everyone Hated It, Now Everyone Loves It And Its Front, Now The 9 Came Out, And All You Hear Is Bashing, And We Dont Even Know Anything Other Than Bs Rumors And Bs Pics Of The 10, And Everyone Is Already Ripping That. Bottomline, The Evo Is Called The Evolution For A Reason, Every New Model Is Better Than The Old, Period. The 10 Will Be The Best Model Yet, Albeit It May Have Some Bugs That Theyll Tweak With The 11, Same Way They Did With The 7 And 8, But It Will Still Be Better, We Can Knock Mitsubishi All We Want And They Deserve Alot Of It, But When It Comes To The Evo, They Always Hold It Down When It Comes To The Raw Performance Of The Car, So Lets Stop B*tchin, And Wait And See, I Guarantee The 10 Will Kick A$$, And The Mivec Will Be Fine Too. Ps This Knock Doesnt Go For Everyone On The Board
Old Jul 7, 2005, 02:45 PM
drc

car was great fun but the engine was a difficult to work on and i had nothing but problems with it.. not bashing new things just going from experience.

Quick Reply: Your opinions on "MIVEC"?