Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Your opinions on "MIVEC"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, having just been thrown back into cam-heaven/hell (depending how you look at it) ... I'm going to partially reneg my initial response to MIVEC ... I still have doubts about reliability (sorry, just had bad luck with non-Evo mitsubishi products), but I can definitely see how you could benefit from it. For example, MIVEC should allow you to dial in really agressive cams (say, HKS 280s) to where they idle nicely and provide good spool w/out sacrificing top end at all.

l8r)
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

No one really know's how it's going to be here in the US yet. Some people are making some REALLY stupid comments. You all need to chill out, I highly doubt it will give any problems.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

OMG i just talked to my brothers best friends cousin that knows his friends husband and he knows the ceo of mitsubishi. And he said the the EVO X will have a new innovative 4g63 D-IVEC built by the same dodge engineers that built the srt-4 engine!! Thats awesome!! It will have 375whp and 380wtq! They are estimating 1/4 times that will be in the low 12's! And the best thing is the new msrp will be reduced to $25,000 even!! WOW! I can't wait till it comes!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

i was joking....wow tough crowd
Old Jul 7, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

I was sitting in a Borders cafe reading a European Auto Magazine, The big thick one with all the car specs in the back. The Ad for the EVO IX stated the the MIVEC was added to increase the engines fuel economy.

I suspect Mitsubishi only wanted the Engine to meet new emissions standards and gain a couple MPG. This is logical the last generation N/A Supra sold in the U.S ( in 1998) had the VVT-I head. That was the last Supra and only year with that odd head. Supra TT's in Japan got the same VVT-I. Nobody had a Turbo kit, cam or much of anything to up-rate the 1998 because of the Head.

Mitsubishi could have easily given the 4G63 20-30 more HP without the MIVEC.
just something to think about.

Last edited by zmeli; Jul 7, 2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zmeli
I was sitting in a Borders cafe reading a European Auto Magazine, The big thick one with all the car specs in the back. The Ad for the EVO IX stated the the MIVEC was added to increase the engines fuel economy.

I suspect Mitsubishi only wanted the Engine to meet new emissions standards and gain a couple MPG. This is logical the last generation N/A Supra sold in the U.S ( in 1998) had the VVT-I head. That was the last Supra and only year with that odd head. Supra TT's in Japan got the same VVT-I. Nobody had a Turbo kit, cam or much of anything to up-rate the 1998 because of the Head.

Mitsubishi could have easily given the 4G63 20-30 more HP without the MIVEC.
just something to think about.
If the only reason for the VVT is fuel economy I would be very surprised. That might be a nice side effect they would want to advertise because of the fuel crunch...just like Al's Dynoflash increases fuel economy...but that's not really the main reason to do it. Just a thought.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry...what are we all talkin bout cus I got lost somewhere back there in the smoke of the "VTEC's cool and MIVEC is EVIL" stuff. @.@

I'm just happy I'm being upgraded from a flat 2.0 i-4 engine to a 2.0 twin-scroll turbo engine. And now I can save gas while having fun cus I'm kinda low on gas money a majority of the time. ^.^

Besides you guys can do what you always do. Buy new cams. Reflash. Buy new exaust system. Reflash for that too. Buy new intake, manifolds, fuel rails, and a frikin huge turbo. Reflash once again. Lol and if you don't like the MIVEC head period.....just frigging take it off and put on the old 8 (and previous models) head and....::~drumroll~:: reflash that as well. sheesh. (ok ok i'll throw in a random piggyback here)

4G63 is 4G63. I read that EvoX is starting over from scratch. Back to EvoI (rumored to start the series back at one *much like how Mazda finally ditched the Miata nameplate and just use MX-5 like the rest of the world*) w/ new chassis, engine, suspension and blah. You'll all hate, bash, and despise the fact that the 63 is no longer being improved. IMO....that's the new owner's problem. Not our problem, rite?

Last edited by CRVdrftR05; Jul 8, 2005 at 02:33 AM.