Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Swapping to MR Aluminum Roof

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Idea

I think this is an interesting idea and if done right could be really interesting. I have heard of people doing similar stuf with CF on M3s. But the cost would be high. When I was looking at the RS, GSR and MR I seem to remember the MR being the heaviest of the three despite the aluminum roof. I am guessing this is due to more standard options on the MR. Anybody have the weight figures on the three?

So if what I remember is true, a GSR with an aluminum roof would be a better performer than the MR in some respects. Good luck.

BTW, give the guy a break, let him spend the money on what he wants. His experiences might give us all some good information.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

The biggest problem with steel to aluminum would be dissimilar metal corrosion. There are ways to combat this. Good primer like zinc chromate will be fine, using aluminum rivets as long as the holes are primed is good. To prevent leaking, just install the rivet with silicone, this will also act as a corrosion barrier.

Obviously you can not weld the two together.

Rivets that dont swell?? Rivets that dont/semi penetrate?? WTF?? They wouldnt hold.

I do aircraft sheetmetal for a living. I work on parts that fly at the speed of sound. We constantly join aluminum structure with steel structure. Its very easy if you have the skills.

I personally would not do this to my car. Go buy the RS or MR w/o SSL
Old Jul 6, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abcdef
Also guys aside from that if you really wanted the aluminum roof wouldn't you have to go all out and get the aluminum side impact beams? Doesn't the MR have those too?
All 05's have this.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Dude, forget swappin....this is where it's at!!!!

Last edited by CICreations; Jul 7, 2005 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

That is horrible.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
That is horrible.
but cheaper!!!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

This must be the new KY Edition!

Originally Posted by CICreations
Dude, forget swappin....this is where it's at!!!!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by althemean
The biggest problem with steel to aluminum would be dissimilar metal corrosion. There are ways to combat this. Good primer like zinc chromate will be fine, using aluminum rivets as long as the holes are primed is good. To prevent leaking, just install the rivet with silicone, this will also act as a corrosion barrier.

Obviously you can not weld the two together.

Rivets that dont swell?? Rivets that dont/semi penetrate?? WTF?? They wouldnt hold.

I do aircraft sheetmetal for a living. I work on parts that fly at the speed of sound. We constantly join aluminum structure with steel structure. Its very easy if you have the skills.

I personally would not do this to my car. Go buy the RS or MR w/o SSL
kinda funny, i already posted something similar a while ago on this thread, but someone deleted it
don't forget the structural instability and frame flexing when doing this. But you know what, it doesn't matter money solves all problems.

Last edited by mr96gsx408; Jul 8, 2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mr96gsx408
kinda funny, i already posted something similar a while ago on this thread, but someone deleted it
don't forget the structural instability and frame flexing when doing this. But you know what, it doesn't matter money solves all problems.
Yea...it seems that only the post that supported this idea were left untouched...I guess the all-knowing moderators don't like negative opinions.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

But really.....whoever is in a stiff enough competition to realize the beneficial effects of 43 lbs. less even though it is up high on the roof more than likely already has a sponsor and a fully backed race team. Is this really necessary? Really cool and creative ideas, but I think a bit overkill.

Spend your money on driving instruction, suspension, etc..... Just my opinion.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dadriva
But really.....whoever is in a stiff enough competition to realize the beneficial effects of 43 lbs. less even though it is up high on the roof more than likely already has a sponsor and a fully backed race team. Is this really necessary? Really cool and creative ideas, but I think a bit overkill.

Spend your money on driving instruction, suspension, etc..... Just my opinion.
yup, also note the fact that you're going ot have to reverse engineer how mitsu made their structure with the roof stiff. Otherwise you're going to need a roll cage to make the rigidity of the frame back to stock again while adding all the weight of the steel tubing

a dsm'er did this to his eclipse (converted to a targa top) and had rigidity problems plague him constantly. Anyways, mods can delete this also to help increase the vast amount of knowledge on this board , but hey, at least i tried to warn this rich fool.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

If you do this you will want a rollcage or rollbar at the least put in, which will put the weight back up there. The aluminum roof is not very structurally sound even as it comes from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping to MR Aluminum Roof-bad-evo.jpg  
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...004/16E_15.pdf

This is the PDF you guys were looking for, basically the aluminum roof has no disadvantages other than I imagine it would dent easier. In a rollover the roof, whether steel or aluminum should not change the outcome of the crash seeing as how it is the job of the safety structure of the car, the B pilars, the A pilars, and C pillars to support the car under such conditions, all the roof panel does it crunch like a piece of paper. The conversion can be done, and it was designed by Mitsubishi in such a way that it would not be difficult for a regular body shop to perform, that was one of thier design criteria.

Hope that helps,
Max Cudich
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by CICreations
but cheaper!!!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Uhh oh..all these neg posts are gonna get put in the naughty box by the moderators..lol

Quick Reply: Swapping to MR Aluminum Roof