Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Swapping to MR Aluminum Roof

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sunroof assembly weighs something like 35lbs, and it's in exactly the wrong place, up high. So you're looking at dropping 43lbs off the top of the car if you use the aluminum roof skin. That should make a difference.

Oh, in the service manual, there is a different roof support for a non-sunroof car and a sunroof car. I assume it moves the support more to the middle of the roof. Just though you'd want to know.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, anyone claiming it only weighs 8lbs doesn't really know how much a sunroof typically weighs.

Actually this is more for a roll cage rather than weight reduction.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:26 PM

The member pwerks got rid of his sunroof, and replaced the roof skin to put in a cage. He might be able to tell you more about it. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=128170

Unfortunately the links to the pics are all broken now.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
The member pwerks got rid of his sunroof, and replaced the roof skin to put in a cage. He might be able to tell you more about it. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=128170

Unfortunately the links to the pics are all broken now.
Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Not alot of members are willing to chop their roof for an aluminum one. You said you talk to robi and costs him $1900 all and all. You have to remember, robi has a shop and knows people that knows how to do it. You go and take it to a body shop and it will cost you a grip. Also if they are not good at this type of work, the integrity of the roof will be weak.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
Not alot of members are willing to chop their roof for an aluminum one. You said you talk to robi and costs him $1900 all and all. You have to remember, robi has a shop and knows people that knows how to do it. You go and take it to a body shop and it will cost you a grip. Also if they are not good at this type of work, the integrity of the roof will be weak.
You could say this about any part/install/body work. What is your point? You also forget that a lot of members here are willing to spend 800-1200 on a CF hood which does ****ing NOTHING for weight savings yet everyone is claiming the end of the world over this.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
You could say this about any part/install/body work. What is your point? You also forget that a lot of members here are willing to spend 800-1200 on a CF hood which does ****ing NOTHING for weight savings yet everyone is claiming the end of the world over this.
Changing a hood is a complete bolt-on, that's what I was getting at. Swapping the roof requires a plasma cutter and welding. So which is simple? Those guys that gets the CF hoods are usually going for appearance and it's all in the mind about weight savings. Actually compared to some of the CF hoods, the stock hood is lighter or weigh the same. Hey it's your car. If you have the funds and resources, go for it.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
Changing a hood is a complete bolt-on, that's what I was getting at. Swapping the roof requires a plasma cutter and welding. So which is simple? Those guys that gets the CF hoods are usually going for appearance and it's all in the mind about weight savings. Actually compared to some of the CF hoods, the stock hood is lighter or weigh the same. Hey it's your car. If you have the funds and resources, go for it.
The roof is held on by bolts, all you need to do is drill it off and remove the stock glass, then bond or weld the new roof on. It is not very complicated which is the reason I am considering it.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Always weld like I do. I don't like any "bonding" chemicals.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I dont think you can weld aluminium and steel together. The MR roof and RS roof is actually riveted on, with expanding rivets.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the idea and i think it would be a good thing, i mean your probably going to change every thing on it, like the suspension and wheels and alot more ****. so really it will be better and cheaper than buying an MR, so i like it.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Kent Jordan's SCCA car had the conversion done... as well as the new APR widebodied RRE race Evo. John Mueller @ RRC has done it.

I hope you plan on racing your car if you are doing this mod and no i don't mean in a straight line...
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by unowned
Kent Jordan's SCCA car had the conversion done... as well as the new APR widebodied RRE race Evo. John Mueller @ RRC has done it.

I hope you plan on racing your car if you are doing this mod.
I race AutoX almost every other sunday and will be doing road courses later in the summer. I plan to race as much as I can. But, I really suck due to the fact that I am on ****ty all seasons while my wheels come in, but the idea is to make this into a race car

I wouldnt even consider it if I wasn't. A concern of mine was the roll cage, so this is kind of a must.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

i like the idea try and get a black headliner (or dye the stock one) while your at it cause it would make a white car with black leather look real nice! and since installation prices are high you could go all out and get a carbon fiber roof (seen it on a wrx at a show) and its definatly an eye catcher (just an idea) - best of luck
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hkfeet
Did you watch BMI's review on the MR and its light alum. roof? They added some weight on top of the MR to see the difference and they couldnt really tell if the light roof help at all. I dont think it would be worth the money for some placebo effect.
If I am going to swap the roof due to weight savings and the roll cage, why wouldn't I get the alum roof? It is seriously only like 100-200 $ more than the steel one.

Quick Reply: Swapping to MR Aluminum Roof