Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sirens at 3500 rpm after TBE install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirens at 3500 rpm after TBE install

I've read a few post about odd sounds after a turbo back exhaust install, but can't decide if there is a problem or not. I have a Buschur air intake which I finally got used to, but after the exhaust it sounds really odd. From 2500 to 3500 rpm it sounds like an ambulance is a few hundred yards away. I only hear it when I'm driving slow with my foot out of the gas. If I'm sitting on 3400 rpm and feather the gas it comes in and out until it gets above 3500. It sounds like a whistle a good ways off. I only hear the sound while accelerating, but not in wide open throttle. I guess it could be a leak, but maybe it isn't unusual at all. Anyone else get the same sound after their install?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 09:23 AM

I have the full Buschur Racing Stage 2 setup and I have not had any problems at all. Like you said you may have a leak some where.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 09:24 AM

Check it for leaks and if you continue to have this problem contact Jarrod at Buschur to see if he can help you out.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 09:27 AM

sounds semi normal... however it wont hurt to tighten all your bolts down again..

Do you have an aftermarket bov or the stock cbv...

Also.. check your gaskets/connections on your test pipe/cat......
Old Jul 8, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a leak to me. Check everything out one more time.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

I get the same sound out of my car! I first noticed right the first time I drove my car after installing my buschur turbo back. I have the intake too! I just took it as the normal. Could be a leak, I suspect I may have one. Those stock black flexible parts of the intake really expand under pressure. I was looking at mine under the hood while my friend revved the engine a little, and that was at only a couple psi of boost. I can only imagine what happens to them when you pump in 19 psi or more. Honestly I just took it as the sound the turbo makes as it begins to spool up. If I stay light on the gas, and hold it right in that rpm range where the turbo begins to wind up I hear it but once you get into the throttle more and climb higher through the revs it goes away.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a leak to me..check the bolts at the cat
Old Jul 9, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

This week I will go back some time and do a nut and bolt on it again. I guess it is a little reassuring to hear someone else has the same sound, but then again maybe we both have a leak. You're right about holding the throttle in a certain position to get the sound to come in. I'll try to tighten my intake some as well. Maybe its just me, but it sounds like it is around the intake. The sound definitely is under the hood somewhere. Thanks for the input guys.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like it could be leaking around the DP? make sure you got the DP on there really damn tight..

Maybe it's something with the intake? I dunno I'm still running th estock airbox
Old Jul 9, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Was the lower intercooler pipe disturbed during the install?
I have ssen a few evos squeal at the turbo nozzle/lower intercooler joint...It is only a 2 bolt fixing...
Are you running an aftermarket intercooler or lower IC pipe?
Old Jul 9, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't mess with anything beyond the down pipe. The intercooler and piping is all still stock. It could be the downpipe loose a bit now that you mention it. I tightened the you know what out of it, but i was really tired of being under the car at that point. I'm sure I can get a few more turns on it. I guess it could have not sealed really well if I didn't get all of that damn gasket off either. Who knows. I went out and messed with the intake earlier and noticed that the bottom of the hose was not sitting flush against the intake... Loosened it and reset it flush, tightened it back down and tightened the bolts on the intake itself. Headed to the movies shortly and will find out if that was a fix. If not I'm going to hire Hulk Hogan to come tighten my downpipe!!!!
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats the sound of the cops chasing you to cite you for a noise violation.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

sometimes you get leaks around the exhaust hangers...so weld them up.

What brand exhaust is it?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

check for leaks and if none are found drive it a few hundred miles to break everything in and then repost here.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Man this thread was brought back from the dead. I don't even notice the siren sound anymore. Every once in a while I'll listen for it and can hear it, but never did anything to "fix" it. It is holding boost and running like a scalded dog!