Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brother just bought an Audi 1.8 turbo quattro (used)
for less than the cost of a srt4 neon. Don't even try to compare a neon to an A4 quattro. With a few mods the A4 is quite impressive. Which car do you think will be worth more in 3 or 4 years? That is part of the cost. I purchased a front wheel drive car (GTI VR6) once... once.

It is ok to spend less but don't buy a neon!

Last edited by skibum; Feb 26, 2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by chronohunter

Maybe i can nip this in the bud since I have a lot of seat time in the SRT-4 and have an EVO on order.

The SRT-4 is a hellova' car for 20k...it is not however a EVO substitute besides the AWD and the extra power look as the Chassis and suspension. The SRT-4 has a Neon chassis w/ an upgraded k-member (subframe) now go to the EVO encyclopedia and look at the seam welding extra bracing etc. There is a massive difference. Then look at the suspension: SRT-4 has upgraded springs, struts, sway bars and PT cruiser brakes end of story. EVO: same with ALUMINUM suspension components (arms, subframe etc.) upside-down struts (super strong), Brembo brakes. I've probabbly left some other cool EVO stuff out (I'm sure the gaps will get filled in by my fellow forum members )

Bottom line: SRT-4: quick car for the money...EVO: SUPERCAR for the money
That's sort of how I looked at it. The neon is turbocharged and has minor modifications that most enthusiasts could do whereas the Evo is a strong, purpose-built car built from the ground up and not just a worked-over Lancer.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by skibum
My brother just bought an Audi 1.8 turbo quattro (used)
for less than the cost of a srt4 neon. Don't even try to compare a neon to an A4 quattro. With a few mods the A4 is quite impressive. Which car do you think will be worth more in 3 or 4 years? That is part of the cost. I purchased a front wheel drive car (GTI VR6) once... once.

It is ok to spend less but don't buy a neon!
absolutly agree but when compairing cars all anyone wants to talk about is how fast a car is in a straight line. That's where the threads always seem to end up

There is so much more to a car (especially an EVO)
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yah agreed... But when is the last time someone pulled up next to you at a light, revved the engine and said... 'I'll beat ya around that turn' This is the USA.. High speed turns aren't as easy to find as a stoplight.. But your right, I do want to take the car to an SCCA Solo event at least once.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
Negative roger on the SRT-4.... Myself and many others saw one at the Tower Shops on Friday night and everybody was laughing at the car...
Why were you laughing at the car??? Put a STOCK DSM, any year, any model against a stock SRT-4 and then see who's laughing??? The car is a SECOND faster in the 1/4 than the DSMs are!!!

Sorry man, it's still a Neon...
Paradigm paralysis!

Thats like saying, the new 03 Cobra is still a Cobra?
Old Feb 26, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
but if your a street racer like most of us, AWD will put the power to the ground in real life situations, and thats where it will make the biggest difference, all the horsepower in the world is useless if you can't get it to move your car.
That is the only downside I can see of the SRT-4. AWD rules the streets until you run across the high hp cars running ET Streets.

If you can afford it, the WRX is the best bet for the lower budget, but if not the SRT-4 isn't bad at all for the moeny.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Ok.. I gotta admit I'm a little biased.. This EVO I'm buying is my daily driver, and I don't really worry too much about how quick it is, my toy is a 600+ horsepower 1978 Chevrolet Malibu... If you see my list of cars, you can tell I'm not a brand *****.. I respect power and performance.. not brand...

Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

you know i was wondering when some one was going to bring up a topic like this. I am a total evo lover and the fact is even though the srt4 has similar quartermile times as the evo and it is faster than a wrx in the quarter mile.it is a neon with diferent seat bigger rims and 4 wheel disc brakes and its only front wheel drive.the evo is a monster in sheep clothing (lancer) with wider track awd system .and the fact that it comes with hid's puts it visually in another class.I would get a wrx before the srt4
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

and on the real you can tune a srt4 to be faster than an evo (ex. eclipse gst ) front wheel drive in the quarter mile but its a neon .i'll stick with my 10 year old civic before i drive a neon . another example the mercury marauter its a flipping hiped up crown vic wup tee dooo. i rather be driving a monster that also has a cheaper road going version (lancer)for the general public.there is a bIG DIFFERENCE ,JUST SIT IN A JAP SPEC. EVO 7 AND THEN SIT IN A LANCER AND SEE HOW YOU FEEL (EVEN THOUGH THE CAR IS PARKED YOU WILL GET AN ADRENILINE RUSH. SWEEEEEET
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

JONNASAN50 .......MIGHT I ADD ANOTHER WELL WELL PROVEN
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

SORRY CHRONOHUNTER .......For there are no winding hills in florida so i guess they like to talk about the straight sprint ,mybe there will be a drifting era to talk about in the future.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:13 AM

Although I do not care for the Neon SRT-4, I don't believe how Subaru and Mitsubishi guys always say "Who cares if it's fast, it's just a Neon!" Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy in this? Is everyone forgetting that the Impreza and the Lancer are both cheap econo boxes just like the Neon? Okay, Dodge did not opt to give the Neon AWD, but they managed to price it under $20k. It just amazes me that people can rag on the SRT-4 but at the same time be excited about the RalliArt Lancer.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by RedBean
Although I do not care for the Neon SRT-4, I don't believe how Subaru and Mitsubishi guys always say "Who cares if it's fast, it's just a Neon!" Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy in this? Is everyone forgetting that the Impreza and the Lancer are both cheap econo boxes just like the Neon? Okay, Dodge did not opt to give the Neon AWD, but they managed to price it under $20k. It just amazes me that people can rag on the SRT-4 but at the same time be excited about the RalliArt Lancer.
I think the SRT-4 is a great alternative for someone who can't afford the 30k for an Evo, but it is in no means a competitive vehicle to the Evo. They are in different classes.

If 20k is your price range, get the SRT-4, or wait for the Ralliart Lancer, which should hit about 18k. It's no where near as fast as the SRT-4, but for what you get, it'll be a hell of a fun car.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by KINGEVO7
SORRY CHRONOHUNTER .......For there are no winding hills in florida so i guess they like to talk about the straight sprint ,mybe there will be a drifting era to talk about in the future.
Yea, not too many curvy roads down there but... How about Moroso, Homestead or Sebring? All you South Fla. guys should make regular pilgrimages to these motorsport Meccas! Also, autocrossing is big in South Fla. I'm surprised there arn't any drifiting clubs yet

If you are getting an EVO you owe it to yourself (and your evo) to carve (and drift ) some corners with it

Last edited by chronohunter; Feb 27, 2003 at 10:35 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:34 AM
EvoM Guru

I guess thats essentially my point.. You don't have to like the car, but I personally like the neon, I currently own a 95 and its a great car. I do have some reliability problems and I wonder how the new SRT-4 will hold up, but still.. Mitsubishi has had their share in the past also.

I did originally want the SRT-4, and had a deposit on one, but I really do like the AWD and can afford to choose it for the advantages it has.

We all know that the NEON and the LANCER will eventually be based on the same platform anyway, I wonder if the SRT-4 and the EVO in a few years will be basically the same car like the Starion and Conquest, or Eclipse/Laser/Talon was in the past.

Jack