Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Negative attention: No front plate (twice in two weeks)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been pulled over 3 times for the same thing in the last 6 months, not in the Evo, this was in my Talon.

Third time got a ticket by a very hot Police Woman, she took no mercy due to me being pulled over in the past, by the time she came to the car she knew when and where I got pulled over, dam these new computers they got in their cars. So the plate went back on the Talon, not on the Evo though.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
Do any of you have any stylish solutions for a front plate?
not really stylish, but using velcro works
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I had my front plate on since day 1, gives the cop 1 less excuse to pull me over.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

I havent heard of any evo killing anybody for the record.. came you name one? There have been alot more fatalitys with the cars you mentioned then evos so your post makes no sense. Considering most people have to be making pretty good money for their age to buy an evo in the first place I fail to agree.
Originally Posted by shelbycobra
....it isn't the wing!! It's the young, immature owners who go street racing and kill people. It happens all too often here in SoCal. How often do you hear about Vettes, Beemers, Porsches killing people street racing? Not very often. Why? Because the owners are typically older, wiser men who don't need to prove they are faster than the modified Civic who wants to race them on busy streets.

I read posts like this all the time and nobody ever calls out the few bad apples that gave this car (and other sport compacts) it's reputation. The wing has nothing to do with unwanted attention, high insurance rates, tickets you would not have received in your other car.

I've been considering an Evo for my daily driver. Everyone knows it's a great car. Buy one...pay the inflated insurance...deal with constant police harassment...but stop asking why. Everyone knows the Evo is fast...what good comes from the daily posts about which cars you destroyed on the road today?

Oh well...just venting...I'm as frustrated as the rest of you and I haven't purchase one yet...hell I haven't driven one yet!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Alright, I have the answer but its going to cost you $150. It was an ad in a mag that had a flip up/down license plate hinge that you control from the inside of your car. I think its controled either electrically or hydraulicly. I'd have to check again. The mag is at work and I forget the website but I will definitly give it to you after work tomorrow. Its alot of money but that license plate has to go. When you are about to get pulled over for it....just hit the switch and tell the cop he needs another cup of coffee.

Last edited by Supa tek; Jul 11, 2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

you could use the stock bracket but instead of drilling a hole where you're supposed to, put a rubber adhesive furniture bumper on the bracket so it rests firmly on the bumper. It's held in 2 other places by screws. Havent tried this myself, but I
'placed' the bracket on to see if it would work and I think it would. If I get a ticket, that's how it's going on.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've never had a front plate on any of my cars, look at my sig, there all import racers, and I've never gotting warned/cited for no front plate, even when i got pulled over for other things.......but with the Evo I was thinking bout putting the front plate on, just got my plates two days ago. But I still haven't, I decided that if I get warned/cited for it, it is going on for sure. Does anybody know if the window method (used by Warrtalon) is legal in CA?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:33 PM

I wonder, are you guys getting pulled over just driving around normally? I used to get tickets all the time for no front plate, but only when I was out at the street races and they were looking for stuff to hand out tickets. None of my cars have front plates and I've never been hassled driving around normally.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

i have the low wing, and still get attenttion. but i do have the e blue so i think that might be it too i donno .
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have never gotten hassled for not having a front plate. They never even mentioned it while ticketing me for other things. I also go from state to state a lot. I have a bby with a big wing, so I think that stands out pretty well. I guess it just depends on the cop.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Living in PA rocks!

Would vinyl lettering work/be legal on the front bumper? That would be a sweet alternative.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:36 AM

I too have not had any trouble since taking my wing off. I drive by cops and they dont even look at me. The wing just brings unwanted attention, plus ive gotten better gas mileage without it.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

in mass the cops can really be a pain about not having afront plate. my mother was followed into my younger brothers school a few yrs back and was written a ticket in the parking lot for not having a front plate on her white benz. ever since then i have had a front plate. the mount the dealer put on mine is huge but i dont think its bolted in. ask your dealer if they have anything that would work. ill try to get a pic up. i know i have seen a few evos with the same bracket
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:35 AM

Does anyone know the cali law on frount license plates? I've seen a lot of car's with out front license plates and no one seems to care. I also know cops with out them on there personal cars but always for get ask.

Last edited by MysticMyth; Jul 12, 2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kdogg
Living in PA rocks!

Would vinyl lettering work/be legal on the front bumper? That would be a sweet alternative.
I don't know about other states, but in Texas it wouldn't be legal. The plate itself has to be completely visible from the front of the car. That being said, I don't think they ever really enforce that law unless they're just looking for someone to pull over because probably 30% or more of cars I see have no front plate.

Quick Reply: Negative attention: No front plate (twice in two weeks)