Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Negative attention: No front plate (twice in two weeks)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally don't have a problem with the stock plate mount. I don't think it looks too bad and it doesn't impede the flow of air to my FMIC.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I am in Wisconsin and there are more traffic natzies here than anywhere else.
There isn't a very big SCC scene here so the few of us that have them are practically hunted by the stormtroopers. Once they get you for front plate then then move on to exhaust and tint. Wisconsin flipping sucks.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

For those of you that live in states which require a front license plate for the car... Do you actually receive TWO plates from the DMV when you register the vehicle? Here in Florida we only get one and that's for the back, nothing is needed for the front. And does the front plate kit come as standards for EVO RS and GSR? Mine didn't come with it and I'm wondering if that's how it is.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

We get two plates. The Mitzu dealer has some cheapo aftermarket-type brackets that mount on the driver's front side-totally screws up the car's look. My Miata dealer was going to screw the license bracket right into the plastic bumper before I stopped him. So I have not had a front plate on any car, including the Evo, in 12 years. Zero problems with the police. Might help that I am in my late 50's.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MysticMyth
Does anyone know the cali law on frount license plates? I've seen a lot of car's with out front license plates and no one seems to care. I also know cops with out them on there personal cars but always for get ask.
In California, you must have a front plate, that law has been around forever. I've been pulled over several times in my previous cars and you just get tired of it. I know it doesn't look good, but it's one less thing to worry about with the police.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
The Mitzu dealer has some cheapo aftermarket-type brackets that mount on the driver's front side-totally screws up the car's look.
Yeah I've seen those brackets, but I'm wondering if those come as standards to the GSR's, I didn't get one and I wanna know if I got screwed over by the dealer on that or not.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

I have a white evo, no wing and no front plate. Never have any problems. I'm still going to make a mounting bracket though. I'm just going to make one out of fiberglass resin. Make a frame, cover it up, resin, bondo, sand, then paint. Viola, custom mounting bracket.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

whats the reason for having a front plate in some states and not others...?

in trinidad it's the law as well.....
wish it were like florida tho
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

More US states require two license plates than not. The reasons for are better identification of cars for law enforcement purposes. The argument against are increased cost to the issuing states to maintain two plates and the associated stickers for annual renewal. In Europe, almost all countries require front and rear plates.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I thought the car has a plate holder with holes already in bumper. Anyway I dont have my front plates on. It will hide the big chiller I have up front. I get stopped for my exhaust ..Three times to be exact. GOT OF ALL THREE TIMES!
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I won't put my front plate on until I get pulled over for it, but it kinda sucks every time I see a po-po having to try to hide the front of my car so he doesnt notice it :/ Still trying to find an alternative to drilling my front bumper that would not look like some hackjob though...

Originally Posted by shelbycobra
....it isn't the wing!! It's the young, immature owners who go street racing and kill people. It happens all too often here in SoCal. How often do you hear about Vettes, Beemers, Porsches killing people street racing? Not very often. Why? Because the owners are typically older, wiser men who don't need to prove they are faster than the modified Civic who wants to race them on busy streets.

I read posts like this all the time and nobody ever calls out the few bad apples that gave this car (and other sport compacts) it's reputation. The wing has nothing to do with unwanted attention, high insurance rates, tickets you would not have received in your other car.

I've been considering an Evo for my daily driver. Everyone knows it's a great car. Buy one...pay the inflated insurance...deal with constant police harassment...but stop asking why. Everyone knows the Evo is fast...what good comes from the daily posts about which cars you destroyed on the road today?

Oh well...just venting...I'm as frustrated as the rest of you and I haven't purchase one yet...hell I haven't driven one yet!
Sorry if it seems that way for you, but I for one pay 1/3 less insurance for my Evo MR than my Integra GS-R turbo, and haven't heard such stories about Evos getting people killed in street races. Civics, yes, Evos, no.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shelbycobra
....it isn't the wing!!
Actually, the wing is a big factor in the unwanted attention.

Last edited by bonestockevo8; Jul 12, 2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MysticMyth
Does anyone know the cali law on frount license plates? I've seen a lot of car's with out front license plates and no one seems to care. I also know cops with out them on there personal cars but always for get ask.

In cali you have to have the plate securely fastened to the front bumper of the car. That means you cant have it on your dash, or zip-tie it to your bumper... it has to be fastened by bracket or directly with bolts. It sucks, but its true.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rezo
Sorry if it seems that way for you, but I for one pay 1/3 less insurance for my Evo MR than my Integra GS-R turbo, and haven't heard such stories about Evos getting people killed in street races. Civics, yes, Evos, no.
Well I'm not complaining about insurance......I came from a 98 GSX and my insurance actually went DOWN significantly when changing to the EVO.

But we do get a TON of negative attention. The car looks pissed off with or without the antenna....its a win/lose situation. Chicks dig it cops dont.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:06 PM

It isn't specifically the Evo I was referring to. It is the sport compacts in general. The Evo fits the bill (the wing makes it easily identifiable as a sport compact.). I agree an RS with no wing will probably get harassed a whole lot less than an MR. My Cobra is EXTREMELY loud, and draws tons of attention...I have never been harassed for not having a front plate (knock on wood). Maybe it's the gray in my hair!
Anyway the Evo isn't my style car...obviously I'm a muscle car fan. I keep comming back to it as my top choice for my next daily driver. 4 doors...sells the wife on "family convenience", 28MPG HWY...sells the wife on economy, supercar performance treats my adrenalitis. Oh and the warranty is amazing (provided you keep it in the guidelines

Looking forward to driving one of these badboys...I hope my expectations haven't been over-inflated.

Quick Reply: Negative attention: No front plate (twice in two weeks)