Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Negative attention: No front plate (twice in two weeks)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Negative attention: No front plate (twice in two weeks)

I am starting to feel what all the people in hear are saying.....the EVO gets a ton of negative attention. Haven't even had the car for 3 months and already have been pulled over twice for no front plate! Oddly....Daily I see vettes and beemers without plates and they are never getting stopped for it. You would think they would get the same negative attention.

Anyway.....I need a creative option for a front plate. I do not want to drill holes and mount a bracket on the drivers side of the bumper. Do any of you have any stylish solutions for a front plate?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zip tie it to the front grill.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

yea, I have seen it done this way and it worked fine...
that sucks that they are harrasing you, I had an eclipse with a greddy front mount for 2 years that never had a front plate on it and never got pulled over, and I have had my evo for about 5 months and havent had any issues with it yet...(knock on wood)
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourgig
Zip tie it to the front grill.
Doesn't that limit airflow to the IC?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Where are you from? Weird... I took off my front plate last month and havent gotten hassled once - and where Im from I pass 15-20 cops a day, Ive been through at least 15 towns and on the highways with the troopers - no hassling - which is weird bc Im in NJ!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

I'm convinced it is the Evo's tall wing that is the culprit. Since I removed the wing on my car, I've noticed a significant reduction in the amount of attention that the car gets from the general public. People barely give the car a second glance, which is very different than when it was on. The wing catches a policeman's eye and gives him a reason to check your car out. From there, they see that you don't have a front plate, hence the ticket.

Sometimes, there are benefits in maintaining a low profile. For me, it was worth it to remove the wing. I know what I drive, as do other automotive enthusiasts, and the performance degradation (if any) are negligible in everyday driving.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

never had a front license plate on my Jetta
haven't had one on my S4 for 5 years now

put the front and rear plates on the Evo after running just the cardboard dealer plate for about 6 months. this car is just too easy of a target for cops....
Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
I am starting to feel what all the people in hear are saying.....the EVO gets a ton of negative attention. Haven't even had the car for 3 months and already have been pulled over twice for no front plate! Oddly....Daily I see vettes and beemers without plates and they are never getting stopped for it. You would think they would get the same negative attention.

Anyway.....I need a creative option for a front plate. I do not want to drill holes and mount a bracket on the drivers side of the bumper. Do any of you have any stylish solutions for a front plate?
First, you need to read the traffic code that you are being cited with by the cops. Based on what it says, determine for yourself if this method works for you. In VA, the code only says "a plate must be attached to the front of the car." It doesn't say where it has to be attached, just that it has to be attached:

That's using 4 small suction cups with hooks from Target, and is technically legal in VA.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:05 PM

....it isn't the wing!! It's the young, immature owners who go street racing and kill people. It happens all too often here in SoCal. How often do you hear about Vettes, Beemers, Porsches killing people street racing? Not very often. Why? Because the owners are typically older, wiser men who don't need to prove they are faster than the modified Civic who wants to race them on busy streets.

I read posts like this all the time and nobody ever calls out the few bad apples that gave this car (and other sport compacts) it's reputation. The wing has nothing to do with unwanted attention, high insurance rates, tickets you would not have received in your other car.

I've been considering an Evo for my daily driver. Everyone knows it's a great car. Buy one...pay the inflated insurance...deal with constant police harassment...but stop asking why. Everyone knows the Evo is fast...what good comes from the daily posts about which cars you destroyed on the road today?

Oh well...just venting...I'm as frustrated as the rest of you and I haven't purchase one yet...hell I haven't driven one yet!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lee_K
I'm convinced it is the Evo's tall wing that is the culprit. Since I removed the wing on my car, I've noticed a significant reduction in the amount of attention that the car gets from the general public. People barely give the car a second glance, which is very different than when it was on.
I agree. Did the same thing back on '03 to my car. I did a few other things for stealth as well and people don't even notice my car anymore - which great!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

also deoends on what color ur evo is...I have an Eblue and i get looks from cops all the time...but i do have my front plates on.....actually the dealer didn't drill a hole on the bumper, they just used a bracket, that's why i can still take front plates out w/o that ugly hole, but wld. i do that...NO! coz for sure i wld get a ticket for it...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

My dealer just handed me the front tag. I appreciated that because I would've been upset if they drilled the front bumper while they "prepped" the car. I'm convinced the Graphite color has done more for cop avoidance than anything else. You'd be surprised how reasonable a cop can be if you explain your situation to them. I will never mount my front plate.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

too bad u dont have an evo 7 front bumper...i just made a sticker and put it right under the mitsu logo.
it looks small in this pic..but the letter size is actually quite big
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

the evo 7's also came with a bracket for the number plate.
it's right there under the right headlight(in the pic)
the bumper was not drilled for the bracket...it's bolted on behind.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lee_K
I'm convinced it is the Evo's tall wing that is the culprit. Since I removed the wing on my car, I've noticed a significant reduction in the amount of attention that the car gets from the general public. People barely give the car a second glance, which is very different than when it was on. The wing catches a policeman's eye and gives him a reason to check your car out. From there, they see that you don't have a front plate, hence the ticket.

Sometimes, there are benefits in maintaining a low profile. For me, it was worth it to remove the wing. I know what I drive, as do other automotive enthusiasts, and the performance degradation (if any) are negligible in everyday driving.
You hit the nail right on the head! I have several friends that have Low winged Evo's and most of us with low wings get no harrassment.

Quick Reply: Negative attention: No front plate (twice in two weeks)