Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

whp gain with just MBC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whp gain with just MBC?

how much whp can u pick up on average on a stock evo with a MBC set at 20-21 psi?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. SS
how much whp can u pick up on average on a stock evo with a MBC set at 20-21 psi?
On an 03-04, I think you can pick up anywhere from 20-40whp, but it depends on other factors, such as the BOV and how it affects your AFR/timing. Sometimes, too much boost can cause you to lean out to the point of causing knock, which would retard timing and rob power. Generally, though, since the Evo is so rich on the top end from the factory, increasing boost to 20-21 adds hp from both perspectives: increased boost and better AFR/timing as a result of less rich conditions.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
On an 03-04, I think you can pick up anywhere from 20-40whp, but it depends on other factors, such as the BOV and how it affects your AFR/timing. Sometimes, too much boost can cause you to lean out to the point of causing knock, which would retard timing and rob power. Generally, though, since the Evo is so rich on the top end from the factory, increasing boost to 20-21 adds hp from both perspectives: increased boost and better AFR/timing as a result of less rich conditions.
in other words, you don't know.

lol

with MBC, 03' set at 20 to 21 psi, if you're talking about peak whp, you'll actually loose some, but that doesn't mean you'll go slower.

the torque and whp line will go up up top RPM, because it'll be more constant boost then without mbc when it peaks high and falls low below 20psi.

So you're actually looking at about the same whp, but faster 1/4 mile times.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
in other words, you don't know.

lol

with MBC, 03' set at 20 to 21 psi, if you're talking about peak whp, you'll actually loose some, but that doesn't mean you'll go slower.

the torque and whp line will go up up top RPM, because it'll be more constant boost then without mbc when it peaks high and falls low below 20psi.

So you're actually looking at about the same whp, but faster 1/4 mile times.
Uh what? Yes, I do know. What the heck are you talking about? You think people lose peak whp with an MBC set higher than stock? That's crazy talk. I only gave a range of 20-40, because not every car is the same and not every person has the same mods. 03/04s can definitely gain 40whp with an MBC. It's absurd to say that an increase in 1-2psi peak boost and 4-5psi from 5500-7500 will LOWER peak whp. It will increase greatly, ESPECIALLY above 5500rpm.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

MBC is an awesome mod. I set mine to 21 PSI and it never stops pulling. I bounced off my rev limiter a few times while getting used to it. The RPM flys past 4k now. I got the Halman Pro which lets you control the MBC inside the car.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joeymia
MBC is an awesome mod. I set mine to 21 PSI and it never stops pulling. I bounced off my rev limiter a few times while getting used to it. The RPM flys past 4k now. I got the Halman Pro which lets you control the MBC inside the car.
You mean the Hallman Pro Evolution RX. There are 4 versions called "Pro," one of which I have, and it isn't in-cockpit and doesn't have the ceramic ball or stiffer spring.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:31 PM
Account Disabled

You sure do go ape shlt quick over nothing. yelling and screaming.

<--- warrtalon.

I have the pro rx evo. That's the one with ceramic ball, and in-cockpit.

Uh what? Yes, I do know. What the heck are you talking about? You think people lose peak whp with an MBC set higher than stock? That's crazy talk. I only gave a range of 20-40, because not every car is the same and not every person has the same mods. 03/04s can definitely gain 40whp with an MBC. It's absurd to say that an increase in 1-2psi peak boost and 4-5psi from 5500-7500 will LOWER peak whp. It will increase greatly, ESPECIALLY above 5500rpm.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

You mean the Hallman Pro Evolution RX. There are 4 versions called "Pro," one of which I have, and it isn't in-cockpit and doesn't have the ceramic ball or stiffer spring.
Yeah that one
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

You sure do go ape shlt quick over nothing. yelling and screaming.

<--- warrtalon.

I don't think I went ape shlt or did any yelling or screaming. You made an absolutely absurd comment that is nowhere close to being right, so I corrected it. In the process of making this absurd comment, you also accused me of not knowing what I was talking about. Not that this is an impossibility, but I do know about things as basic as an MBC, and I think it's proper to respond fervently when someone claims that raising boost will LOWER peak whp...
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:59 PM
Account Disabled

well, even to start out with telling me I'm making an absurd comment, you're being absurd, since you obviously are not considering how finiky the stock boost system is.

The stock boost peaks unmistably. They tend to peak upto 23 psi on a cooler days then fall down at around 4500 rpm when the AFR ratio changes and dips down below 10~9.

now considering what i said, your peak whp and tq isn't going to be more, since the stock boost peak is going to dictate the peak whp and tq around 3500~4000 rpm.

Once you get the MBC, you're controlling the peak whp and tq since you're not letting it peak 2 to 4 psi over the stock boost point which is around 19.5psi.

However, you're getting a consistant boost throughout the powerband all the way to the redline, which mean, you are going to get a faster 1/4 mile time, however, your peak whp and tq is either going to stay at your current level or drop slightly.

Now, it all depends on the weather and especially whether or not you have a TBE and other supporting mods, but the fact is that stock boost is irratic and MBC stabilizes that.

So, I think you should read some more about MBC before calling me absurd.

And stop going ape poopie on people. you're not that great as you think you are, flunting all over this forum.

lol

I don't think I went ape shlt or did any yelling or screaming. You made an absolutely absurd comment that is nowhere close to being right, so I corrected it. In the process of making this absurd comment, you also accused me of not knowing what I was talking about. Not that this is an impossibility, but I do know about things as basic as an MBC, and I think it's proper to respond fervently when someone claims that raising boost will LOWER peak whp...
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

now considering what i said, your peak whp and tq isn't going to be more, since the stock boost peak is going to dictate the peak whp and tq around 3500~4000 rpm.

Once you get the MBC, you're controlling the peak whp and tq since you're not letting it peak 2 to 4 psi over the stock boost point which is around 19.5psi.

However, you're getting a consistant boost throughout the powerband all the way to the redline, which mean, you are going to get a faster 1/4 mile time, however, your peak whp and tq is either going to stay at your current level or drop slightly.
You can't be serious. You only hit peak torque in the 4k range, not peak hp. Peak hp comes after 6k rpm where the boost being 20-21 instead of 16 means that you will absolutely, UNMISTAKABLY gain SIGNIFICANT horsepower. It is truly absurd (yes, absurd) to claim that a STOCK boost spike at 4k is going to make your PEAK hp higher than with an MBC pushing HIGHER boost. MBCs spike, too, especially if you start from below 4k and floor it, so claiming that the STOCK boost spikes higher didn't make any sense at all to begin with.

If you go make a trip down the drag strip where you don't go below 5500rpm, you will see that the stock boost does not go over 19.5psi, and it will taper almost immediately down to the built-in taper point of 16psi. If you do this same thing with an MBC set to 20-21 psi, it will hit 21 (or wherever you set it) and then taper slightly to 20 or 19.5 due to the inability of the stock turbo to maintain that full boost beyond 7k rpm. It is not in any way reasonable to believe that the 2nd scenario would be making LESS peak horsepower. It will not only make a lot more peak horsepower, but it will also make a lot more horsepower across the entire rpm range...

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jul 12, 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

calm down you 2

get the mbc and a tune
and you will be happy
Old Jul 13, 2005, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

if the stock boost can spike to 23 psi on a cold day the same will happen while using a MBC... My boost is always higher at night when its cooler.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

IF you get a MBC what is the safest/ best setting for everyday driving?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

20 psi.

Quick Reply: whp gain with just MBC?